Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bike Focused IM Training plan with TrainerRoad?
Quote | Reply
Picking up my smart trainer next week (Kickr). I have been doing Zwift workouts on my classic trainer for the past two months and found that I love structured workouts.

I will have 20 weeks until my first IM (1st Half IM is this Sat). What plan should I use with TrainerRoad as the main training hub? I know they have an IM plan, but Im doing good with swimming and running already. I need bike fitness and focus.

Looking at TR specifically, I could do the sweet spot build (6 weeks), the Sustained power base (8 weeks), but then I would only have a couple weeks left for the IM specialty phase. So, I dont know how to tackle that one.

Or are there any other 20 week plans in TP that use TR for the bike workouts that you would suggest?

Thanks
Last edited by: Spartan420: May 7, 18 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Focused IM Training plan with TrainerRoad? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Picking up my smart trainer next week (Kickr). I have been doing Zwift workouts on my classic trainer for the past two months and found that I love structured workouts.

I will have 20 weeks until my first IM (1st Half IM is this Sat). What plan should I use with TrainerRoad as the main training hub? I know they have an IM plan, but Im doing good with swimming and running already. I need bike fitness and focus.

Looking at TR specifically, I could do the sweet spot build (6 weeks), the Sustained power base (8 weeks), but then I would only have a couple weeks left for the IM specialty phase. So, I dont know how to tackle that one.

Or are there any other 20 week plans in TP that use TR for the bike workouts that you would suggest?

Thanks

Hey there!

I'm so glad to hear that you've gotten hooked on structured training :) That's the best way to get fast in a hurry!

Generally, we recommend completing the Triathlon Specific Plans, even if you are completing your own run/swim program, due to the fact that these plans take into account the stress of your other two disciplines. They are also tuned to the appropriate intensity for the length of event you are completing, which makes them the best choice for triathletes.

I would recommend starting in Triathlon Base and working your way up as far as you can. Your training would ultimately look like this:

Half Distance Base (8 Weeks)
Half Distance Build (8 Weeks)
Half Distance Specialty (Weeks 1,2,7,8)

Specialty Weeks 7 and 8 are Taper weeks, which means that they maintain your form by keeping the intensity, but they drop the volume to decrease your fatigue leading up to the big day. This is why you skip ahead in the plan to complete these weeks leading up to your race.

I hope this helps provide some guidance, let me know if you have any other questions :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Focused IM Training plan with TrainerRoad? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Why do you suggest the half plan over the full distance? Just curious since I am training for a full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Focused IM Training plan with TrainerRoad? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that Spartan 420, I read that your "first Half IM is Saturday" and my brain jumped to that as your target event. I now see that you are targeting the full IM, so Full Distance will be your best option :)

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Focused IM Training plan with TrainerRoad? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

With the full plan being 12 weeks, should I do the 12 base and 8 weeks build? That wouldn't leave anytime for the specialty phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, there is a difference in the length of base between Full and Half Distance Plans. Base is a very critical part of your training, during which you will not want to take shortcuts. It is better to build a solid foundation than to skip steps and crumble on race day.

Your progression will actually look like this:
Full DIstance Base (12 weeks)
Full Distance Build (Weeks 1-6)
Full Distance Specialty (Weeks 7-8)

This allows you to build your fitness as far as you can in the time allotted, while also allowing you to taper appropriately in the days leading up to your event.

Happy training!

Quote Reply