Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool
Quote | Reply
Well I just got my first full sleeve wet suit. This thing feels amazing compared to my sleeveless wetsuit. Now I just need to start taking swimming as serious as my cycling. I know I need to put in major more hours in the pool to improve. But if anyone has any technical stuff to help me out I am happy to listen. I made a little video today if anyone would like to try to help my swim stroke. I know it is a mess and I am not sure where to start to improve it.

Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [Keith-OH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not try getting a swim instructor (preferably triathlon focused) and start from there? Otherwise you could get tons of conflicting advice and end up just being confused. Get a triathlon coach to work on your swim, do a first session go practice on your own...swim and then repeat...just my two cents. I am not going to analyse your stroke because I am not qualified to judge anyone else stroke but I had lots of struggles with it and don't want anyone else to go what I went through.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advise. I have look around but have not found anyone local to work with.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [Keith-OH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go to swim smooth's website they have a coach in spain who you can send video of your swimming from front, back and underneath and he will do an online analysis.....if you can't end up finding him drop me a line and I will track him down ..I'm about to do a Trainer Road session now.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith-OH wrote:
Well I just got my first full sleeve wet suit. This thing feels amazing compared to my sleeveless wetsuit. Now I just need to start taking swimming as serious as my cycling. I know I need to put in major more hours in the pool to improve. But if anyone has any technical stuff to help me out I am happy to listen. I made a little video today if anyone would like to try to help my swim stroke. I know it is a mess and I am not sure where to start to improve it.

I have to be honest, this bolded part is something I never hear. Can you clarify what you mean by it . A properly fitting sleeved wetsuit (IMHO) should never feel as good as a properly fitting sleeveless. I have listen to so many people complain about wetsuits and I never hesitate to recommend a sleeveless unless they will actually be cold in the water. I frequently wear a sleeveless (mostly for heat issues) but I love the feeling of a sleeveless. Go to a OWS swim session with a bunch of sponsored pros and most will be complaining about their wetsuits and how they feel restricted. It is just part of the being in a full-sleeve. Nobody really likes them, but they are much faster than NOT wearing a wetsuit. I do think a lot of the people would choose to swim in sleeveless but most haven't ever bothered to try it out or least test the fact that they are not 5 seconds slower than a full-sleeve which seems to get passed around as lore at least in my own social circle.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith-OH wrote:

Keith - I think your stroke is basically OK, you just need to swim more. Since you've got your own Endless Pool, I would recommend starting out slow and relaxed for the 10 min or so to warm up, then turn the speed up every 2 min or so until the pool is blowing you out the back, and then try to hold on as long as you can. I don't have an EP but i do this regularly on the treadmill and it really helps me increase my speed. I would think this would work in the EP as well. You could swim an easy 30 min 3-4 days/wk, then try to go hard 2-3 days/wk.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First I’m not an expert, but looks like you might be coming to close to Center line on hand entry. Especially with left arm, also left arm then pulls wide rather than straight back. It might just be camera angle. Love the pool, and review. Got my comp2 a few weeks ago and have only pool tested it but I agreed it’s pretty great.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Keith-OH wrote:

I have to be honest, this bolded part is something I never hear. Can you clarify what you mean by it . A properly fitting sleeved wetsuit (IMHO) should never feel as good as a properly fitting sleeveless. I have listen to so many people complain about wetsuits and I never hesitate to recommend a sleeveless unless they will actually be cold in the water. I frequently wear a sleeveless (mostly for heat issues) but I love the feeling of a sleeveless. Go to a OWS swim session with a bunch of sponsored pros and most will be complaining about their wetsuits and how they feel restricted. It is just part of the being in a full-sleeve. Nobody really likes them, but they are much faster than NOT wearing a wetsuit. I do think a lot of the people would choose to swim in sleeveless but most haven't ever bothered to try it out or least test the fact that they are not 5 seconds slower than a full-sleeve which seems to get passed around as lore at least in my own social circle.

The sleeved wetsuit I got fits me perfect like it was custom made for me. At first I felt a little resistance in the shoulders. So I just pulled the suit up a little higher. Then I did not notice any resistance. The flotation also feels different then my sleeveless. The suit just feels better balanced in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith-OH wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Keith-OH wrote:

The sleeved wetsuit I got fits me perfect like it was custom made for me. At first I felt a little resistance in the shoulders. So I just pulled the suit up a little higher. Then I did not notice any resistance. The flotation also feels different then my sleeveless. The suit just feels better balanced in the water.

What sleeveless suit are you coming from? In regards to restriction, you are saying that this sleeved suit has less resistance in the shoulders than your sleeveless?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice post Thomas- just ordered a sleeveless Roka just for this reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Comp II Wetsuit - Review in Endless Pool [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Nice post Thomas- just ordered a sleeveless Roka just for this reason.

You are always welcome I hope you enjoy it. This is about trying to understand why someone finds a sleeveless suit better than a sleeved suit. In all my years of asking people why they choose sleeveless they always say they don't like the restriction in the shoulders. Suits keep getting better and the gap continues to close, but IMHO, I still can't see a properly fitting sleeved suit ever beating the feel of sleeveless. Swimming sleeveless is awesome.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 7, 18 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Keith-OH wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Keith-OH wrote:

What sleeveless suit are you coming from? In regards to restriction, you are saying that this sleeved suit has less resistance in the shoulders than your sleeveless?

My sleeveless is a Blueseventy Reaction. It is not possible to have less resistance in a sleeved. But the difference is very little for me. That could be do to my bad form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith-OH wrote:
It is not possible to have less resistance in a sleeved. But the difference is very little for me.

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll be interested in your long-term feedback of the sleeved suit somewhere down the line if you care to update after some races and OWS.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 7, 18 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Keith-OH wrote:
It is not possible to have less resistance in a sleeved. But the difference is very little for me.

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll be interested in your long-term feedback of the sleeved suit somewhere down the line if you care to update after some races and OWS.

No problem.
Quote Reply