Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Club - how to transport 18 bikes
Quote | Reply
My triathlon club has 4 teams in the regional leagues this season, so we will have 18 guys and girls starting at the same races.

I suggested that we should rent a big bus or alike so that we can all travel together, but thinking about it, I don't know how we would transport 18 bikes and 18 people, even if we got a big coach!

Is there a good solution to this, or are we better off with 4 minibuses or just the standard 10+ cars.

The races are all 50-150 miles away. I doubt anyone in the club can drive a proper coach, but I guess we could get a driver if needs be.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Club - how to transport 18 bikes [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove six bikes from tx to Oceanside 70.3 in April in a 'Sprinter'-type van from Enterprise Rental.
I could have gotten 4-5 more in if I needed to by taking out the last bench.
In the end, it was the most efficient, cheapest option.

Two of those seems way easier than chartering anything, and you can use gear bags as cushions between bikes.
You could transport the humans in 3-4 SUVs.
Which keeps the drama down when deciding on dinner. :-)

A UHAUL is also a good option.
Plenty of those sitting in TX from one way trips from those defecting coastal states.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My club typically rents pick-up trucks for the localish-races. You can easily stack like 8+ bikes in the back of one (all standing up leaning against one another). We normally do that plus carpool in a bunch of cars w/ bike racks on the cars too.
Last edited by: daswafford: May 5, 18 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got a 24 foot trailer and a donated 1/2 truck for the weekend and traveled roughly 5000 miles round trip with 29 bikes and equipment with no problems. The costs do add up, but it was still way cheaper than TBT or any other service that we found.

The team flew while the two drivers left Wednesday and returned Tuesday or Wednesday following the race.

We had an engineer on the team who built a pretty nifty bike structure for the inside to reduce the chance of damage to anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ford f-150, 45 bike boxes

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Club - how to transport 18 bikes [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done this without special structures. Remove all pedals and place bikes in packing blankets leanijg against each othet. We used to do it every year with 20-40 road bikes for a few hundred miles with no problem.
Quote Reply