Re: What free speed am I missing [dmiller430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what friends are for :)

You’ve done aero testing?

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's been covered a few times by now, but just how much of a dog is Wing57 compared to say Aerohead on the course of a ~5hr IM split? Asking for a friend:) Trying to figure out if I should spend more money on a new helmet, or just use in my second hand 2012 Kask Bambino instead of Rudy and not worry about it...
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
The Giro Selector is another good one. In fact, I have one for sale...I bought it on eBay and it doesn't fit my large head.

I made mine fit. Old spoon heated over a flame, melt styro to taste. I do that with all my helmets though...
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train more/smarter?
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

The Giro Selector is another good one. In fact, I have one for sale...I bought it on eBay and it doesn't fit my large head.

You did take out the pads from the sides, right? It took a few uncomfortable rides with mine before someone pointed them out and suddenly it fit much better once I'd removed them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like most of this is covered either by OP or someone else but I’ll reiterate anyway.

For truly free or stupid cheap

1) Lose weight
2) clean your components
3) parafin wax chain. I would only do for “a” race though as I’ve heard it’s a pain
4) latex tubes
5) shave legs and arms
6) technique and position
7) one bottle BTA, if 2nd BTS
8) transition fast

For pretty cheap or at least not wallet crushing

1) Ditch the Rudy project. Either an old A2, areohead, or LG P-09
2) aerojacket

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

You did take out the pads from the sides, right? It took a few uncomfortable rides with mine before someone pointed them out and suddenly it fit much better once I'd removed them.

I did take them out...when they are not in there it giggles on my head a bit. I ended up buying a Bontrager Ballista MIPS when it was on clearance at a LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple that H3 front with a disk rear wheel to tame down the handling in any kind of a cross wind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmiller430 wrote:
no you cannot. there is far too much noise outdoors to possibly distinguish a few watts with any real certainty. and you cannot do it without BUYING THE HELMET.

You should do a forum search for "something borrowed, something fast" and then "platypus".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Conti GP4000 20 is a horrible tire. I have no idea what they did to make it roll so much worse than the GP4000 23, but it just plain sucks. It is like 7 watts slower at 25mph. At least use the SS 20 on the front. Add lots of sealent to your latex tube.

Get an aero base bar and cleaner levers. Round tubing has a super high Cd compared to any wing shape. Probably 5-10 watts right there.
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not using the GP4000 20mm. I am using the GP4000s II 20mm. I was under the impression that this carried the same properties as the other sizes.

Join us on a bicycle touring or backpacking trip at blazeadventuretours.com
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
https://www.premierbike.com/products/optimized-chain

Ultra Optimized 11 Speed Chain

Are there any data on how much this chain saves vs say a dura ace chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmiller430 wrote:
I am not using the GP4000 20mm. I am using the GP4000s II 20mm. I was under the impression that this carried the same properties as the other sizes.

Yes it has the same profile and it sure does look like the ultimate tire for the H3. A big thumbs up from the eye-ball windtunnel. The problem is the rolling resistance sucks. I would check Tom A's table for Crr values and wattage for rolling resistance. The new SS20 has a way lower Crr even though it isn't as nice as the second generation SS20.
Quote Reply
Re: What free speed am I missing [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find the GP4000s II on the table. The old 4000 20mm sucked because it didn't have black chili. are you saying that the 20mm with the black chili also sucks? source? I can easily switch out to a 23mm but the profile with the rim isn't good. I don't like to run the SS in the rain especially as you pick up more crap.

Join us on a bicycle touring or backpacking trip at blazeadventuretours.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next