Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debating shorter cranks [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
I may as well report my own experience as well. I've never had access to 150s to try them, but I went down to 162.5 and found no effect on power at all, but definitely got more aero. My theory is that my knees stay more controlled but I'm really not sure what the exact cause was. Anyway I've stuck with them. My road cranks are 170s and I honestly can't really feel the difference.

Curious what you did with the saddle and bar position? Interesting comment about knees. Legs are a big component of drag. This tends to work against short cranks since they will tend to keep the quads more vertical. But if you can keep your knees in better with shorter cranks, I can see that helping.
Quote Reply
Re: Debating shorter cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
lanierb wrote:
I may as well report my own experience as well. I've never had access to 150s to try them, but I went down to 162.5 and found no effect on power at all, but definitely got more aero. My theory is that my knees stay more controlled but I'm really not sure what the exact cause was. Anyway I've stuck with them. My road cranks are 170s and I honestly can't really feel the difference.

Curious what you did with the saddle and bar position? Interesting comment about knees. Legs are a big component of drag. This tends to work against short cranks since they will tend to keep the quads more vertical. But if you can keep your knees in better with shorter cranks, I can see that helping.
I raised my saddle to match full leg extension (so going from 170 to 162.5 I raised saddle 0.75cm) and left bars alone.

Yeah it's kind of equivalent to just raising the seat, from an aero point of view -- maybe worse because you maintain more leg extension at the top -- which is usually bad, but clearly that was more than offset by something else, and I'm guessing that was some combination of my knees being better controlled at the top of the pedal stroke, and otherwise being more comfortable in aero position so holding a better position.
Quote Reply
Re: Debating shorter cranks [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could also be that the increased drop lowered drag more than enough to compensate.
Quote Reply
Re: Debating shorter cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Could also be that the increased drop lowered drag more than enough to compensate.
Yeah I should have mentioned that from other testing I know that's not what it was.
Quote Reply

Prev Next