Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors?
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I would buy one. It seems like a huge safety factor that course safety people could more easily spot swimmers. And, someone watching you from the shore could more easily see you. If a leading wetsuit company had a bright neon wetsuit, I would buy it. Instead, they are all basically black to match the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be swimming in San Fran bay in June, and someone asked me if my wetsuit was fluo/bright. I said 'no, it's grey -- like a tasty seal'. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know in the old days all the good rubber was just black. The colored ones were not as flexible or pliable. I remember some surf suits and they were stiff. Not sure if that is still the case or not, but seems like it is??
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s the kind of thing I would love. But that is one of their low-end open water wetsuits. None of their triathlon suits are styled like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there is this one that is supposed to prevent shark attacks...

https://www.arenawaterinstinct.com/...-carbon-wetsuit.html

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a video on that a few years back. Seemed very effective. I always wondered why that wasn't tried on wetsuits. I'd actually buy that Arena suit if I believed it was a decent suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
How about this:
I had one of these last season. Lots of comments on it. I think the arms were more flexible than the main black part. I did a 2k lake swim race in it and my wife loved it because she could see me from shore the whole race! I've seen a couple swim run ones like this too.

Definitely not as nice as the higher end models but it was my first season and did the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's black but it colorful - that's why I got it.
Aspire Limited Edition
DEAN25 for 25% discount on zone3

https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/...n-Aspire-Wetsuit.jpg

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one of these at Challenge Melbourne just over a week ago and for someone with a fetish for fluro yellow it got me a little excited... As soon as one of the top brands make a good one I am sold!

https://www.volaresports.com/collections/mens-triathlon-wetsuits-volare/products/mens-triathlon-wetsuit
Last edited by: Shambolic: Apr 30, 18 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the early days of my surfing life (Mid 80's) you never saw black wetsuits. I had one for a long time that was blue, pink and purple. And it didn't seem at all unusual or strange. By 1990 they were all black, always.

Fashion maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is possible to produce same quality in others colors im stunned none have done it yet, leading me to believe the products might not be there or that they are overly expensive.

Otherwise this would be a huge market to swoop up without competition! Just think about triathlon suits and how it has moved from black to all kind of colors (Wattie ink e.g.)! For wetsuits, i guess alot of girls would like something with e.g. pink on it! Easy way to move customers to your company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it because the supple, smoothskin is black, and colours are put onto them, rather than our old doublelined surf suits which weren't smooth?
Huub did that black white camo type suit for a swimmer going from Robben Island a couple of years ago

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have a Zone 3 with blue cuffs. It has blue on the back, so it is better than most. That one is a bit more visible. Mine still mostly disappears from visibility as soon as I'm in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question! I'd actually be interested in an answer from the wetsuit companies. Other than a couple cuffs and a low end basically training only suit in already mentioned Orca color selections are pretty limited. I'd love to see more colors for safety sake.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra makes one:

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Great question! I'd actually be interested in an answer from the wetsuit companies.

You know, a little bird told me that this forum is owned by a guy who knows wetsuits pretty well ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't Wetsuits Bright Neon Colors? [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
Is it because the supple, smoothskin is black, and colours are put onto them, rather than our old doublelined surf suits which weren't smooth?
Huub did that black white camo type suit for a swimmer going from Robben Island a couple of years ago

I'd always understood this to be the case - where the colours are on the jersey material that gets bonded to the neoprene - but as pointed out in this thread, there do seem to be increasing numbers of suits that appear to be coloured smoothskin, at least partially.

Like another poster mentioned, I remember showing up to the beach in some absolutely hideous neon colour combinations in the late 80's, before black wetsuits swung back into fashion.
Quote Reply