Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stomach Cramps and Sloshing Feeling
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I've been experimenting with different nutritional approaches on longer efforts for IM. Had a long brick the other day and immediately experienced lower stomach cramping and that sloshing feeling on the run. It took around 40 minutes before I felt better and 1 hour until I was able to maintain my normal pace again.

My strategy to deal with the GI issue was to just back off and take small sips of water every 10-15 min until I felt better. I was happy I dug myself out of the hole, but it was a very uncomfortable hour and cost me about 30 sec per mile.

Does anybody have any specific nutrition ideas to help bail you out when this happens available on IM courses?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach Cramps and Sloshing Feeling [Boulder_Brat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's difficult to answer without knowing what you were doing that led up to your brick issues, e.g. ounces of fluid, number of calories and type/form of calories (e.g. liquid sugars or solid foods, etc0.

Though, generally, I think we're all so different that self-experimentation is usually the only sure-fire thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach Cramps and Sloshing Feeling [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I just had 1 normal sized bottle of water per hour (sipping every 10 min), plus 300 cal an hour of diluted EFS liquid shot + 1 salt stick per hour.

I did consume a sip of 100 cal of pure EFS liquid shot (not diluted) in the last 30 minutes of the ride, so in self-diagnosing, I think my issue could have been there?

Is it generally a good practice to back off of eating in the last portion of the rides?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach Cramps and Sloshing Feeling [Boulder_Brat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know....I'm not a super expert. I had a similar experience in my one attempt to use EFS (and I'm pretty iron-stomached generally). That doesn't seem like excessive fluid consumption, though sweat rates vary tremendously between people.

My only suggestion is to take in calories purely as liquid instead of as shots - as you kind of suggest.

I haven't heard it's practice to back off eating at the end of a ride, but in general people have more issues running than riding. I would have thought 30 minutes would be enough, but maybe not for you.
Quote Reply