Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

recommend a better BTA setup
Quote | Reply
This is what I have. I don't really like that it really limits hand placement, and because of my pad placement (I've gone narrower) I can't move the bottle back any more than it is. My xlab torpedo no longer fits.

What are my options, trying to keep things reasonably priced?. i.e. the profile fc is out of the question.

Torhans, PRO aerofuel... what else?

Is there anything that will wrap back underneath the stem? That's what I would really want, but haven't seen it. eg. the Torhans 30, but going back even further towards the frame.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that issue too but was able to mount my bottle between the pads so it was further back and didn't do anything to hand position. But not sure you can do that with yours since those look even narrower than mine. If you can get a TorHans 30 sitting within an inch of the head tube that would be your best bet since it will help with aerodynamics and is good for hydration. I have used that for years with no huge splashing issues even though everyone seems to complain about it. But I also only used it for water so even if it splashed it wasn't that big of a deal.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I had that issue too but was able to mount my bottle between the pads so it was further back and didn't do anything to hand position. But not sure you can do that with yours since those look even narrower than mine. If you can get a TorHans 30 sitting within an inch of the head tube that would be your best bet since it will help with aerodynamics and is good for hydration. I have used that for years with no huge splashing issues even though everyone seems to complain about it. But I also only used it for water so even if it splashed it wasn't that big of a deal.

Will it get that far back though? If it will, then that's acceptable (and may be my best option regardless).

I'm running a 110mm stem.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of the problem is those FSA aerobar pads have the mounting bracket piece taking up a ton of room. I think you could switch to something like a Profile Design aerobar or a Zipp Vuka Clip for a reasonable price and be able to get your elbows just as narrow (or more narrow), then use your current Torpedo. The PD T1+ or T4+ or Zipp Evo 70mm seem like they would get your hands in a similar position to what they are on those FSA bars.
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A new profile bar costs a couple hundred bucks that I'd rather not spend. I have a very tight budget for this stuff.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to find a picture to show but basically the bottle is in the middle of the brackets and I use zip ties at the back of the extensions to hold them so they are very far back. I will try to find a picture but if you are looking for one shoot me a PM so I can remember to get one when I get home later today. Found it! Also, if you go TorHans route I think I still have mine around that I would unload too.[/img]

Twitter - Instagram
Last edited by: jrielley: Apr 27, 18 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see from the picture but are you current extension clamps integrated into the base bar or clip on? If they're clip-ons I would highly recommend getting some profile design J5 (now called supersonic) brackets and using the matching BTA mount which also doubles as stabilising bridge. It has fore/aft adjustment and allows you to get pretty narrow.

In order to go even narrower (for me) I used the J5 BTA mount and effectively pedestalled the bottle cage to lift it above the pads and ever so slightly above my forearms.The bottle was still hidden behind my hands. I used some spacer tubes that came with a Speedfill top-cap mount kit.. which is another option entirely...

https://speedfil.com/...stems/stem-mount-kit

The replaces your top cap and allows you to mount a cage further back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
A new profile bar costs a couple hundred bucks that I'd rather not spend. I have a very tight budget for this stuff.

I understand. The carbon fiber version of the Profile Design bars is the only one worth owning because the brackets are crap on the aluminum. The Zipp bar with extensions retails for *only* $140. You're probably getting around $100 for the Torhans with the mount anyways. Another $15 if you want the computer mount. That Torhans is likely one of the only BTA systems that is narrow enough to fit your current aerobars because of the goofy mounting bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [Stevie_A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie_A wrote:
I can't see from the picture but are you current extension clamps integrated into the base bar or clip on? If they're clip-ons I would highly recommend getting some profile design J5 (now called supersonic) brackets and using the matching BTA mount which also doubles as stabilising bridge. It has fore/aft adjustment and allows you to get pretty narrow.

In order to go even narrower (for me) I used the J5 BTA mount and effectively pedestalled the bottle cage to lift it above the pads and ever so slightly above my forearms.The bottle was still hidden behind my hands. I used some spacer tubes that came with a Speedfill top-cap mount kit.. which is another option entirely...

https://speedfil.com/...stems/stem-mount-kit

The replaces your top cap and allows you to mount a cage further back.

They're the old vision clip ons, non-adjustable goodness! Only the pads can be adjusted (within a small range fore/aft).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I understand. The carbon fiber version of the Profile Design bars is the only one worth owning because the brackets are crap on the aluminum. The Zipp bar with extensions retails for *only* $140. You're probably getting around $100 for the Torhans with the mount anyways. Another $15 if you want the computer mount. That Torhans is likely one of the only BTA systems that is narrow enough to fit your current aerobars because of the goofy mounting bracket.

According to the spec, the PRO aerofuel will just fit also. They list minimum width as 2.75 inches (7cm) and my extensions are between 7 and 7.5cm apart, if memory serves.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 27, 18 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it I can highly recommend the PD J5 brackets using your existing bars, extensions and pads. Otherwise seriously look at the speedfill top-cap mount. It has an extender piece which allows you to mount the bottle cage further forward (or back) and is very inexpensive
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [Stevie_A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie_A wrote:
If you can afford it I can highly recommend the PD J5 brackets using your existing bars, extensions and pads. Otherwise seriously look at the speedfill top-cap mount. It has an extender piece which allows you to mount the bottle cage further forward (or back) and is very inexpensive

They won't work.

The extensions are integrated with the clamps.

the pad mount isn't vertical, it's at an (approximately) 30 to 45 degree angle from vertical, so the holes on the pads are angled too.

The issue isn't the cage placement. It's that the bottle itself won't go any further back I can move the cage no problem, but the bottle is larger than my pads.

Hmm. you've given me an idea though

I might be able to ziptie the bottle to the innermost set of armrest holes. I'll try that tonight and see how it works.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 27, 18 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is what I made last week after that I did not like my old system anymore.
It is very sturdy and stiff: 5mm aluminium strips, and flexible what the mounting of the cages is concerned: you see I use a spacer to tilt the front cage, because the bottle disturbed my hands after I tilted my extensions.
I think I'm going to be happy with this.
Edit: disadvantage is, that when I tilt the extensions, I have to amend the strips too.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Apr 27, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very cool

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be able to ziptie the bottle to the innermost set of armrest holes. I'll try that tonight and see how it works.

On further thought, I don't think that will work. the pad mount holes are too close together, so the system isn't going to be very stable.

I might have found another option from Speedfil. I'll have to measure to see if there is enough rise from the spacers.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dangle wrote:

According to the spec, the PRO aerofuel will just fit also. They list minimum width as 2.75 inches (7cm) and my extensions are between 7 and 7.5cm apart, if memory serves.

I had no idea those still existed!

Good luck with your search. My Torpedo (or whatever bottle I want) is touching the inside of the pads on my Zipp bars. Since the mounting plate is under the arm pad, you can run the pads right against the bottle and go as narrow as the water bottle. I had those same FSA bars some time ago and they were awful compared to nearly any of the modern ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I had those same FSA bars some time ago and they were awful compared to nearly any of the modern ones."

Probably true. However, they are the best ones that I've owned, so since I don't know any better, I like them ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the cage attached to the bars? I haves used the Xlab extender thingy to move a cage up/back 1-2 inches in various set ups similar to yours
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 27, 18 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried turning the cage to face the other direction? based on the bottle that you are using, you might be able to get some more room with the mouth end of the bottle being between your pads. It's at least worth a try and is free
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
How is the cage attached to the bars? I haves used the Xlab extender thingy to move a cage up/back 1-2 inches in various set ups similar to yours

zip ties.

what's the x-lab extender thingy? I've looked through xlab's site and haven't seen anything that would really work well. I think that speedfil stem mount thing would probably work, as long as it's high enough.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With zip ties it probably wont help but I’m referring to this....

https://xlab-usa.com/...-cage-optimizer.html
Quote Reply
Re: recommend a better BTA setup [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to measure and see. I was also thinking of picking up the torpedo kompact system prior to going down this road, and that will work with that system. I'm not sure if 30mm is enough height.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the optimizer can attach to any sort of baseplate to help move your set up backward a bit
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 27, 18 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to tell from the photo, but from what you're saying it sounds like you are using the middle mount holes on the armrests. Which means the pads are overhanging into the centreline over the stem, is that correct? If so, you can cut off the centre section of the armrests that you don't need. I've done this with the Vision rests you are using without any issues, just don't cut too close to the middle mounting holes and leave enough material to support the screws. Cutting off that middle section you don't need will let you get the bottle further back.
Quote Reply