Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I have never seen latex tubes in any bike shop.

I wasn’t aware of this level of disrespect. Obviously (I think), this is my first venture towards latex tubes

(except for back in those college days, which is too long ago to remember and wouldn’t apply to this discussion, anyway) [pink]

It's nothing to do with respect.
It's the result of lack of knowledge and/or preference for simplicity which has resulted in a limited demand. That limited demand plus the potential for headaches makes it an unattractive product for LBS to sell.

The comment about respect is in reference to my thread title, and is slightly pink...to be clear, the guy at the bike shop had nothing positive to say about latex tubes. He said NOTHING about limited demand, etc. he literally asked “why do you want those?”

That seemed like a “disrespect”.
Could be disrespect for the customer and he's lying to you or it could just be ignorance. I think ignorance is more likely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a Black Friday deal from some online store (forget which one) for $3 a tube for the Vittoria Latex tubes. I currently have enough to last me 4+ years, I only use them for my race wheels. I figure it's not worth the extra cost for every-day riding. I tend to ride slow, heavy wheels, tires and tubes for training, then my go-fast stuff for racing!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local shop is run by a recently retired pro roadie. He doesn't carry them. His team didn't use them at the pro level so I can see why he wouldn't be sold on the benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
My local shop is run by a recently retired pro roadie. He doesn't carry them. His team didn't use them at the pro level so I can see why he wouldn't be sold on the benefits.

Aren't most pro roadies using tubulars anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Create demand. Latex is pretty niche, in this industry - an LBS might not know why they'd even want to stock it.

None of my local shops would carry latex. But when me, and my coach, and a bunch of other guys on the team started asking for it, the shop affiliated with our sponsor stepped up the game and started stocking latex tubes, along with other speed-goodies we need.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decathlon, which is a big european sports retailer (basically for masses, families go in there to shop for their weekend activities, hiking, even fishing), carry Michelin latex tubes in my town. I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw it there, but now I only buy latex inner tubes there, I've got one within walking distance from home.
Ironically, no LBS in my whole country has a single latex tube in stock.
Last edited by: Rachela: Apr 27, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local shops don't carry them because of supply and demand. Not because they don't want to stroke your ego with some technology mumbo jumbo.

You guys understand that over on rollingresistance's website, that a tubeless tire is now pretty much the de-facto fastest TT tire, right?

Also, a lot of their comparisons on latex vs. light butyl tend to only show low single digit watts on the comparison. Whereas a TT tire vs. an endurance commuter tire can be double digits per tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I would have run across this thread before installing my latex tubes along with my Corsa Speed 23's on my Jet+ 6/9's last night! That was the hardest tire & tube install I have EVER had. Ended up with a pinch flat on the rear. Baby powder just might have helped me avoid it!

Now my question (probably a slight derail...sorry) is: Can I patch it? Or do I install it again and throw some sealant in it? Or, just let it be and get another?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and tubulars are latex....

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worst thing about latex, in my experience, is when (I forgot the baby powder) the tube stuck to the inside of the tire. Use baby powder and don't forget to top off the air just before the race. If you lose 10 psi before the race is halfway, you've eliminated all the benefits of latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
Yes, and tubulars are latex....

The good ones are.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not all of them, most of the cheaper ones are butyl, but conti comps are butyl too,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Finishing up the build on my “dream bike”. I’m 47 years old, and this MIGHT be my last build.

Trek speed concept frame set project 1 custom paint. Super 9/808 combo. Pretty excited.

After lots of lurking on ST, I want to go with latex tubes. None of the LBS have them in stock, and the last shop I checked this afternoon wanted to know why I wanted them...I just didn’t respond because it’s none of his GD business.

He proceeded to talk about their ease of puncture and some other stuff I wasn’t paying attention to.

I live in rural northern Michigan, and am “downstate” for a conference. Thought I’d check out some shops since I’ve got a little extra time. Looks like I’ll just order online . Sorry LBS.

Thoughts?

Latex is the only way to go :) thanks god our local MEC.ca is fully stocked.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-128/Latex-700-x-25-28-Tube-%2851mm-Presta-Valve%29
tubes above will hold air for few days, I'm still pumping all my tires before each ride, I think everyone does...if not try getting solid tires and problem will be solved, you don't deserve latex ;)...

You can actually pinch latex tube during installation and ride it for months and it will not explode!
you can really only puncture it by going over something sharp (nail etc) , pothole pinch will not happen that easily as with butyl tubes.
I switched 3 years ago all my bikes and will never go back. In 3 years I got only one flat.
latex tubes are cheapest 8-10w gained
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
So l am curious, how do these compare to the Michelin (green) latex tubes? That is what I have been using for many years, but it would be interesting to hear how the Vittorias compare.

I've used both Vittoria and Michelin. Currently using Vittoria as the main difference that I like is that they have removable cores. So you can use sealant with them and I prefer removable core type extenders rather than the external screw on type. Other than that I couldn't tell the difference.

To other poster's concerns about installation. I will admit that the first few times were a bit finicky. But I got used to it and now it's extremely easy.

I think working with latex forced me to refine all the little techniques that makes tire/tube installation easier regardless of what tube I'm using. Now I can pretty much install a brand new GP4000S tire onto a rim with a latex tube without using a lever faster than the average cyclist can change a well used tire and a butyl tube while using a lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Local shops don't carry them because of supply and demand. Not because they don't want to stroke your ego with some technology mumbo jumbo.

You guys understand that over on rollingresistance's website, that a tubeless tire is now pretty much the de-facto fastest TT tire, right?

Also, a lot of their comparisons on latex vs. light butyl tend to only show low single digit watts on the comparison. Whereas a TT tire vs. an endurance commuter tire can be double digits per tire.

But, it's a "unicorn" tire...it's the ONLY tubeless offering that performs like that...mostly because they built it like a high-quality clincher (i.e. polycotton high-TPI casing, minimal tread, etc.)

Also, don't forget he tests with butyl tubes, so the faster clinchers are unduly "hamstrung" in that comparison...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Finishing up the build on my “dream bike”. I’m 47 years old, and this MIGHT be my last build.

Trek speed concept frame set project 1 custom paint. Super 9/808 combo. Pretty excited.

After lots of lurking on ST, I want to go with latex tubes. None of the LBS have them in stock, and the last shop I checked this afternoon wanted to know why I wanted them...I just didn’t respond because it’s none of his GD business.

He proceeded to talk about their ease of puncture and some other stuff I wasn’t paying attention to.

I live in rural northern Michigan, and am “downstate” for a conference. Thought I’d check out some shops since I’ve got a little extra time. Looks like I’ll just order online . Sorry LBS.

Thoughts?

I have a thought...I bet that ironically he would be more than willing to sell you tubeless tires ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found cuts in my race wheels after my last ride before IMTX this morning (enough for it to stay in my head). Had to switch out tires. I admit that's my worst nightmare with latex. Not getting enough miles to confirm everything is good to go before a race. Although I've never had an installation issue, even today. I got about 5 miles of riding in to make sure everything seated correctly before having to bring bike to check in.

Took my time installing due to the race, but as another poster said, it isnt that difficult. I dont even use the powder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had excellent luck with the pink Vittoria latex tubes. I run them both in training and racing, and I rarely get flats (once or twice a year, if that). That’s mostly riding Bay Area/Norcal and the Big Island. I’ve never pinched one during installation, but I also run wide rims (Zipp and Roval carbon clinchers), on which I can hand-mount my tires (no levers) easily. I run a mix of Spesh S-Works Turbos and Turbo Cottons and have had good luck with them puncture-wise. Tread life is not that great, though.

I don’t run sealant in them, and for me it hasn’t mattered.

The one thing (besides losing pressure overnight) is that they do get stretched out over time, so you do eventually need to replace them, even if you haven’t had any flats. You can tell when you take the tire off and try to remount - you’ll find you have to fold the tube over on itself to fit inside. That’s your signal that it’s time to switch it out.

Contrasting that with road tubeless, where I had a host of issues (and a garage floor full of leaking sealant), I’d choose latex tubes.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRC wrote:
not all of them, most of the cheaper ones are butyl, but conti comps are butyl too,

This is true, but I remember, at least back in the day (Ulrich era), Conti would make its competition tubulars with latex tubes for the pro teams. Special run. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Wish I would have run across this thread before installing my latex tubes along with my Corsa Speed 23's on my Jet+ 6/9's last night! That was the hardest tire & tube install I have EVER had. Ended up with a pinch flat on the rear. Baby powder just might have helped me avoid it!

Now my question (probably a slight derail...sorry) is: Can I patch it? Or do I install it again and throw some sealant in it? Or, just let it be and get another?

I have the same set up. Did you watch the Hed video on how to mount tires On Jets? You have to very carefully keep the bead in the center channel of the rim. If you follow the directions it is easy.
Last edited by: endosch2: Apr 28, 18 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's still the case now, Conti use the term "Pro Ltd" on their tubulars with latex tubes which are not, and never have been, for general sale to the public. As far as I'm aware Conti have always used butyl tubes in their tubulars sold to the public.

My experience with Contis from 10 years ago is that they are as tough as old boots. I don't know if this has anything to do with the butyl tubes or not, but I've been using Vittoria tubulars for the last 10 years and they feel more supple which could be due to the latex tube, or maybe it's the outer casing, who knows?

Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
But, it's a "unicorn" tire...it's the ONLY tubeless offering that performs like that...mostly because they built it like a high-quality clincher (i.e. polycotton high-TPI casing, minimal tread, etc.)

Also, don't forget he tests with butyl tubes, so the faster clinchers are unduly "hamstrung" in that comparison...

Isn't there this guy who used to run meticulous rolling resistance tests and kept a results spreadsheet on his site? I do recall his last blog post (over a year ago, lazy bum) announced the Vittoria as "the new top dog".

Has anything changed?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
JRC wrote:

This is true, but I remember, at least back in the day (Ulrich era), Conti would make its competition tubulars with latex tubes for the pro teams. Special run. :)

They still do, the Conti ProLTD tubs are latex and, as the name implies, Limited to Pros.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes getting no respect [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Thoughts?

I had the same thing happen. When I was looking a few years ago, no latex tubes in any store in Toronto and I had one guy mansplain me about why latex tubes were terrible and I should not under any circumstances buy them. All his info was wrong and I stopped buying things from that store on principle.

I am a gear guy and I learned early on that if you are into something and spend time properly researching it, you will know more than about 90 percent of the supposed experts out there.

Could you let me know the first and last letters of the name of that bike shop, so may I deduce who they are and avoid visiting them in the future?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
.... Then there is the fact they are much more difficult to install and people make errors installing them resulting in them exploding....

What is it about them that is more difficult to install? I made the switch a few years ago from tubular to clincher, and went right to latex tubes. I've since installed a few butyl tubes on various wheels, wheels for friends, etc., I don't do anything different.
I do tend to put some baby/talc powder on the tubes before installing.......old school.... :) but otherwise, do nothing special. Huge, massive knock on wood, haven't had a flat tire since 2012, and that was on a tubular......granted, majority of riding is on a kickr, so not high outdoor mileage...

They are much more delicate to install. If you haven't had any problems consider yourself lucky, but part of the latex tube might not be totally in the tire on install. When you pump it up, because the latex is *sneaky* it finds a way out and gets pinched between the tire and rim wall causing an explosion. This can happen with a butyl too but it is much less of a problem. Most of us have learned to go around the sides of the tire and push inwards at say 15 psi and make sure none of the latex is visible. If it is we needle it until it seats properly then fully inflate.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next