Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top tube bike storage options
Quote | Reply
What products have people tried for top tube storage for gels/tools? I don't have bolts there so I cant buy a true bento box.

I have a velcro one, but it doesnt fit on my frame well, and also scrapes my knees because of my position on the bike which is very distracting in a race (and has led to bleeding on training rides....)
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [sergio2589] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my setup.

little multitool, spare tube, CO2 and levers are taped under the seat. no bag.

Gels go in a flask that is velcro'd to a holder that's ziptied to my stem, right behind my BTA bottle.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the drill out, and a rivnut tool. Screw the warranty!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tri-Rig has you covered:

http://www.tririg.com/...rage_Bosses_Tutorial

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of strap mount pack do you have? The width and shape of the bento pack is super important to avoid knee rubbing etc. That is something we took into account with our designs.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What kind of strap mount pack do you have? The width and shape of the bento pack is super important to avoid knee rubbing etc. That is something we took into account with our designs.

Greg @ dsw

+1 on the DSW Speedpack 483! I got one, Greg was a great help and the pack fits my bike well.

I've got an old Felt S32 for reference.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just stupid when perfectly functional velcro strap packs exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've never heard of rivnuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some options.... Xlab stealth pocket, Darkspeed Works 483, Louis Garneau Aero XT. They have velcro attachments, but some are more narrow than others and might not cause you issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Greg @ dsw

What works best for a New P3? I just need to hold a gel flask. I had a 480 on my classic P2 and would get some knee rub but I think that was because I cinched down the velcro to keep it from moving.

What do you recommend, Greg? 480D? 483D?
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [Crash Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the n.P3, l would definitely recommend the 483D. It is narrower, more tapered, a bit longer, and has a bit more capacity than the 480D.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [Crash Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, Thanks for your input.

I have a Felt B12 and the top tube is quite narrow. What do you think?

Thanks,
SJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
Greg, Thanks for your input. I have a Felt B12 and the top tube is quite narrow. What do you think?
Thanks,
SJ

Hi Sergio, this is what we typically recommend for most Felts with integrated cockpits and top tube entry cabling, including the Felt B12. The Speedpack 483, as pictured mounted below, is very narrow with a lot of taper near the tail, plus we use a very special low profile strap system that we developed that has ZERO slip. Zero.
So I think it will work well for you:

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mounted a PD ATTK hard sided bento box on a QR CD01. No bosses and a slightly rounded top tube led me to some customization. I put clear duct tape on that portion of the top tube. Then heavy duty double sided tape to hold the box to the duct tape. There were some gaps along the sides between the box and the side of the top tube. I injected some flex seal rubber and molded it with a plastic knife to fill the gaps.

I'm not worried about it falling off. I can lift the whole bike up by the bento box. Nothing but the clear duct tape is actually touching the bike. Everything else is stuck to the tape (not the bike). So, I should be able to pull the tape off and remove everything.

Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Gels go in a flask that is velcro'd to a holder that's ziptied to my stem, right behind my BTA bottle.

I've been wanting to do something like what you have described... I use a Hammer Flask for gels but haven't seen a holder I like. Could you please share what you have, or pictures or a description if it's something you fabricated? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I just saw the "recommend a better BTA setup" thread w/ pics of your setup. Thanks.
Last edited by: Jimmw: Apr 27, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great solution. Thanks for posting description and pics. I'm hoping to do something similar to my Gen 1 Speed Concept and it's great to see how people tackle the details like gaps between the box and the tube.

Signal8 wrote:
I mounted a PD ATTK hard sided bento box on a QR CD01. No bosses and a slightly rounded top tube led me to some customization. I put clear duct tape on that portion of the top tube. Then heavy duty double sided tape to hold the box to the duct tape. There were some gaps along the sides between the box and the side of the top tube. I injected some flex seal rubber and molded it with a plastic knife to fill the gaps.

I'm not worried about it falling off. I can lift the whole bike up by the bento box. Nothing but the clear duct tape is actually touching the bike. Everything else is stuck to the tape (not the bike). So, I should be able to pull the tape off and remove everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
There were some gaps along the sides between the box and the side of the top tube. I injected some flex seal rubber and molded it with a plastic knife to fill the gaps.

Well done, a darn good job.

Questions: what kind of 'clear duct tape' did you use, was it gorilla clear tape, or ? Then, how did you 'inject' the flex seal rubber to get it deep and nice and flush in the crevice? What method or tool did you use? Did you lay on the bike on its side when doing each side with the flex seal? After applying the flex seal, how much time do you have typically before it dries fully?

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Dec 17, 18 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently using a Torhans Bento X and fastened it to my top tube using 3M dual lock strips. I have only ridden outside twice with it so I can't say with 100% certainty that it could never fall off, but it feels plenty sturdy to me and has a much cleaner look than velcro straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was also wondering this, hopefully he jumps back on to the thread.
Also how did you make it so the flex seal is not on the frame? is the tape below that as well?
I have a specialized transition to which I added top tube bosses. But the top tube is so narrow that most of the boxes I have tried look a little odd. I think the top tube is somewhere around 25mm wide, and most bags/boxes measure 40 or 50mm at their base. So I would like to do something to smooth the lip out both for aesthetics as well as it seems like it would hurt if I hit my knee on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I previously had the Profile Design Attack and it just doesn't hold enough food for me. I now use the Scott Plasma storage on my P5 and it fits four Bonk Breakers and a gel.

Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the dimensions on the Scott bento?
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

The Scott Bento for the Plasma 5 is just the Profile Design ATTK TT4 https://profile-design.com/...storage/products/tt4

I can get three 32GI Bloks into it and some very small other things, there is more room but I keep my Di2 junction box in there. Can't say that it is over massive, gel wise could probably cram 5-7 in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Signal8 wrote:
There were some gaps along the sides between the box and the side of the top tube. I injected some flex seal rubber and molded it with a plastic knife to fill the gaps.

Well done, a darn good job.

Questions: what kind of 'clear duct tape' did you use, was it gorilla clear tape, or ? Then, how did you 'inject' the flex seal rubber to get it deep and nice and flush in the crevice? What method or tool did you use? Did you lay on the bike on its side when doing each side with the flex seal? After applying the flex seal, how much time do you have typically before it dries fully?

We'll see if I can get some additional photos to show up.

I just used some clear duct tape that I had lying around the garage to act as a barrier between the bento box, flex seal, and the top tube. This clear duct tape played no part in adhering the bento box to the top tube. It was merely a protective barrier. I did neatly trim the duct tape so that it followed the natural lines of the top tube. Once applied, it was pretty undetectable.

I tried to show the location of the duct tape in one of the photos. Once I had the clear tape in place, I started working on adhering the bento box to the top tube (well actually to the clear duct tape). I was working on a 2009 QR CD0.1. The top tube isn't flat like it would be on newer bikes that are designed to accept a hard bento box. The bottom side of the ATTK IC is flat. Because of this, I used some thick (maybe 2 mm) double sided tape that I picked up at a local automotive store. I think it is meant to be used to adhere emblems to vehicles. Anyway, this stuff was thick, flexible, and really sticky. I applied to the double sided tape to the underside of the bento box. I cut some thinner strips of the double sided tape that I applied closer to the outside edges of the underside of the bento box. In other words, because my top tube was round and the bento box was flat, I had to use a couple layers of double sided tape to build up the outer edges of the underside of the bento box's surface.

Then, I pressed the bento box onto the top tube (or rather the clear duct tape I had placed on the top tube). I think I used some masking tape to help press it down into the gooey, thick double sided tape and left it overnight. At this point, the double sided tape bond was good enough that I could lift the bike up by the bento box. I figured it wasn't going to come loose mid-race, but I still had some unsightly gaps between the bottom outside edges of the bento box and my top tube.

This is where the Flex Seal came into play. I used the version that comes in a tube (like a toothpaste tube). I masked off the sides of the bento box. I also masked off portions of the top tube that weren't directly underneath the bento box. I squirted the Flex Seal into the gaps and used a plastic putty knife to kind of carve away any excess flex seal. Basically, I held the knife edge vertical and tried to create a vertical wall of Flex Seal from the outer edge of the bento box down to the top tube. I left that sit to cure overnight before I pulled the masking tape off the sided of the bento and the top tube. I was surprised at the strength of the bond. I don't think Phil Swift himself could tear the box off my top tube. I raced all season and never worried about it falling off. The only thing that is touching the frame is the clear duct tape. Everything else is stuck to that clear duct tape. In theory, I should be able to remove the whole setup by simply pealing off the clear duct tape, however I haven't tried that yet.

This is the beauty of working with an older bike. I really don't care if the bento box ever comes off. It's not like I have any warranty or resale concerns.

To Eroc24's comment about bento box width. I did a little research on the ATTK IC and measured teh width of my top tube before I ordered it. I knew it would be close, but they turned out to be exactly the same width.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's another modification. I followed the instructions in this old ST thread to add a Torhans VR bottle to the triangle. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20vr%20felt#p4153474

I needed a (hopefully) drag neutral way to store a flat kit on an old bike that has no integrated storage. I used the Felt version of the VR, because the mounting bracket cradles the seat tube of my bike better. Some of the angles didn't match up perfectly, so I heated the mounting bracket and formed it around the seat tube and the lower portion of the down tube. I drilled a hole in the forward portion of the mounting bracket to allow a bolt to fasten it to the lower bottle cage boss on the down tube. I remember also having to heat/dimple the actually bottle to clear the that forward bolt head It was kind of a trial and error thing until everything matched up perfectly.

Someday, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a new integrated everything bike. But for now, I have most of the benefits that all that integration stuff offers.
Last edited by: Signal8: Dec 17, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube bike storage options [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

The Scott Bento for the Plasma 5 is just the Profile Design ATTK TT4 https://profile-design.com/...storage/products/tt4

I can get three 32GI Bloks into it and some very small other things, there is more room but I keep my Di2 junction box in there. Can't say that it is over massive, gel wise could probably cram 5-7 in there.

Neat! When I bought it, it wasn't on the PD website and I got it from a Scott dealer. Would be nice if the front wall wasn't angled back, because then it could fit one or two more gels.
Quote Reply