Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to recruit for a relay team?
Quote | Reply
I'm one of those old guys whose knees won't let me run anymore -- but I enjoy doing the bike leg of a relay triathlon. So far, I've had great success (2 wins in 2 events) in relays but, for those two triathlons, I was recruited by the team. My role was to help swimmers and runners who don't have a bike test the waters -- to see if they liked the sport enough to get bikes and do the whole triathlon thing. This is apparently a great way to promote the sport. My former teammates have all moved on to become "real" triathletes. (For all the Tri bikes my efforts have sold, the bike shops should pay my fees!)

Here's the issue. I enjoy competing in these relays, but it can be difficult finding runners and swimmers to fill out a team. What ways would you suggest to find willing and, hopefully, competitive participants for relay triathlon teams?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to recruit for a relay team? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Notices_F9/

After that, local FB groups and go meetup at local group runs and rides and start asking around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have any specific races in mind, you can try contacting the race director.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably on slowtwitch.

there aren't enough relays in my opinion. the relays that do exist have 1 big issue - cost (at least for IM events). am registered for 70.3 St George relay and that registration fee was like 400 bucks! how does one divvy up the fee appropriately? the swimmer basically gets to swim for free, the biker pays the majority, and the runner gets an expensive half marathon in almost always hot weather. relays are a tough sell to competitive athletes because of those reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash

offer cash to fast local runners and swimmers, you'll get plenty of interested people.

There is a canoe Triathlon up my way that the paddlers would recruit runners and cyclist like crazy. I used to help broker deals between them.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to recruit for a relay team? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Cash

offer cash to fast local runners and swimmers, you'll get plenty of interested people.

There is a canoe Triathlon up my way that the paddlers would recruit runners and cyclist like crazy. I used to help broker deals between them.

You've got a point. My first relay entry was sponsored by a local Physical Therapy practice. Entry fees were covered. Very nice. (All three of us were former patients. We won by over 12 1/2 minutes. My teammates were rockets.)

I tried to get the runner to join me for a triathlon 2 weeks later -- unsponsored. His first question was, "You mean you have to PAY to do this?" Fortunately, the organizer of the second triathlon contacted me for another team.

Recruiting has to be easier if you at least cover the costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 1984 they had a relay division that offered $5k to the winning team. In fact I think they only offered $5k for the winners of the triathlon and the winning relay, $15k total for 2 people and one team.

So with that incentive in mind, and knowing that Molina was surely going to take the mens $5k first prize, I called my triathlon buddy Charlie Graves to see if he would be up for swimming. And I went to do a 10k in the Bahamas(one of the perks of being pro in the old days, we were a big deal!!) I met the guy that won it and asked him if he would run, he was from Boston. They both said yes and the race was on/

Dale Bascue another pro triathlete put a team together with him swimming, John Howard cycling, and Tom Hunt running the 10k(world record holder for the 10k by the way). On paper they were going to win, I mean Howard and Hunt on the same team??

Charlie got me about a 20 second lead out of the swim, John caught me about 18 miles in and we came in within 5 seconds of each other to start the two runners side by side. My guy said don't worry, I got this. I'm like, what are you smoking, this is the world record holder for the 10k?? But my guy had just won the Boston marathon in 2;09 flat, ran shoulder to shoulder, winked at me on the last mile lap, and dropped Tom like a bad habit.. My guy was Greg Meyer, for you kids you can google him...(-;

So that was one way to get some relays together, as I recall I put a couple more together like that where they offered sick money to just the winners. That didn't last long though, but was really fun while it lasted!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to recruit for a relay team? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

So that was one way to get some relays together, as I recall I put a couple more together like that where they offered sick money to just the winners. That didn't last long though, but was really fun while it lasted!!

I hope they don't go back to that! I'm 58 years old! My pattern has been to be teamed up with a really fast runner and a really fast swimmer (so far, both between the ages of 18 and 28) and give it a little beyond my best effort on the bike. To some extent, I depend on being carried by the real athletes on the team. If teams start showing up with THREE fast athletes, my relay "career" may be over!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
monty wrote:

I hope they don't go back to that! I'm 58 years old! My pattern has been to be teamed up with a really fast runner and a really fast swimmer (so far, both between the ages of 18 and 28) and give it a little beyond my best effort on the bike. To some extent, I depend on being carried by the real athletes on the team. If teams start showing up with THREE fast athletes, my relay "career" may be over!

Youngster...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bigger issue is finding races that actually award relays and even harder, split them up by gender (M,F,Mixed) when my wife & I want to compete. Sure most relays teams are out for a good time but it seems, like me, there are others out there that would actually like to compete.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply