Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does humor = hate or insensitivity? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
SH wrote:
DJRed wrote:
SH wrote:
This is referring to humor that makes fun of people or groups.

I don't think so.. Oh, wait...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/...21ebe4b07560f396adf9

No more Apu? Say it isn't so!

Why is Apu so offensive but Homer isn't (there's probably more stereotypical fat, dumb white dads on TV cartoons than there are Indian quickie mart owners) or Ned Flanders (christians)?

I could be wrong but from what I've gleaned from the original Op-Ed piece is that, yes, The Simpsons make fun of all types - no one is arguing that. What makes Apu different is that there aren't any other Indian/South Asian on TV and that's the only representation of themselves that they see. If Indians were portrayed in other shows as successful, well adjusted leaders than it might not be a problem. It's a problem of balance. Again, I could be wrong about my interpretation.

The question I have with the ire of the Indian American population is, while it's valid, I'm not sure it's the responsibility of a comedy show to be responsible for vetting all of their characters to make sure their "type" is fairly represented in the media landscape before digging in. Besides, Apu is one of the kindest and most redeeming characters on the show - if that's worth anything.

However, like men commenting on how they think pregnant women should feel about being pregnant; as a white male, I'm not sure I'm in a position to criticize or question the validity of the issue.

Note: I love the Simpsons. D'Oh!
Last edited by: Frank: Apr 27, 18 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Does humor = hate or insensitivity? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, wouldn't Apu be the epitome of humor done without malice or hate? And Hank Azaria apologizing for voicing the character?

It's just misguided in my opinion. There has to be a way to show you care without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. People do the easy, and sometimes cowardly, thing in order to signal everyone what a great heart they have. Meanwhile, the message goes out: humor=hate.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 27, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Does humor = hate or insensitivity? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As your handle is Chuy, is it safe to assume your real name is Jesus?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next