Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Choice opinion
Quote | Reply
Looking for opinions about wheel choices for an upcoming event.
I think I know my own answer, but wanted to throw it out there to see what people have to say.

My bike:
2008 Cervelo P2c, nothing fancy

Wheelset #1:
Bontrager Carbon X Aero
Tubular, 19ish mm wide, 45mm deep, running Specialized Turbo Cotton 23mm on both f&r.

Wheelset #2:
Oval 745
Clincher, 23mm wide, also 45mm deep, running Continental GP 4000ii with Vittoria Latex tubes on f&r.

Both have their advantages. Bontragers are stupid light, still pretty aero, but narrower. Ovals are heavier, but wider, clincher and easier to carry around a flat kit. With the Bontragers, I'd carry a Hutchinson Fast Air and pray. But I've never flatted in the many years I've had these wheels.

Which would you choose?
Changing tires, tubes, etc isn't an option. This is what I have. This is what I get to choose from.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice opinion [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would stick with clincher as you'll be giving up some aero and comfort with the narrower rim on the bontrager with regards to tire selection. That said, I would highly recommend you look at a set of Flo alu/carbon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#2 is both more aero and lower Crr, right? Seems like the easy choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice opinion [tridude93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Believe me, I have looked at Flo and others.

Then I look at my bank account....
New wheels aren't happening any time soon. Too much in life that takes far higher priority.

I'll probably stick with clinchers, but the Bontragers are just so much sexier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there be a lot of climbing on the course? If so...go with #1.

Otherwise the choice is #2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you've made your choice then ;) The bontrager are a better wheel in regards to weight and build quality but you have to be ok with running tubulars. As a race day only wheel no issues here.
Quote Reply