Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gwen Jorgensen hm debut
Quote | Reply
Gwen has just announced she will be running Pittsburgh half on may 6th. So time for predictions!
I think she will go sub 1:10, competition should be good though I haven’t seen start list yet.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think sub 1:10 is a good guess seeing how the course has some hills

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this on instagram and now I really want to go back home just to watch this.

Most people are very surprised with the terrain.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I saw this on instagram and now I really want to go back home just to watch this.

went to Pittsburgh for work once and was amazed by the mountains and river valleys.. this course doesn't look too bad, but certainly not fast.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
stevej wrote:

went to Pittsburgh for work once and was amazed by the mountains and river valleys.. this course doesn't look too bad, but certainly not fast.

The wife and I are pissed that we are going to miss her running. Lauren is doing the Broad Street 10 mile run the next day and we can't make it back to the Burgh to watch.

I have run the Pittsburgh Marathon two times and was raised there (live in Philadelphia now). The first half of the marathon course accounts for most of the half marathon course. You don't hit the major elevation changes until you peel off for the marathon course. She is going to have a very FAST and reasonably FLAT course to exploit.

I will venture a 1:12 half marathon time.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Apr 24, 18 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are aware that she split 75 at NYCM?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

Lol. 72 would be a disaster if course is relatively flat / fast as you say. She has run a 15 low 5k and a sub 32 10k. She'll only miss sub 70 if the competition is slow. She'll be there racing like she did at Stanford I'd guess.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Lol. 72 would be a disaster if course is relatively flat / fast as you say. She has run a 15 low 5k and a sub 32 10k. She'll only miss sub 70 if the competition is slow. She'll be there racing like she did at Stanford I'd guess.

Ran her recent times through a couple of calculators and they were predicting 70 and change. Winning time last year was 72 minutes, but don't know conditions for that race. I think predicting sub 70 is getting a bit ahead, but if she does hit that, it would be a very successful performance for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the time is kinda inconsequential. She's not gonna go out there trying to run a certain time. She's gonna go out there and try and win. She's always said she's a racer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes well last year it wasn't a championship race. Though they haven't released the rest of the pro field, I imagine it will be deep. As for the time, as Sean mentioned she just wants to win. No doubt she is capable of sub 1:10 and probably 1:09 as well. Remains to be seen if they go out fast but I suspect they will.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are also bummed to miss it. We will be at Wildflower that weekend. We don't live more than a few blocks from the HM/M split so it would have been super easy to roll down there to cheer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Yes well last year it wasn't a championship race. Though they haven't released the rest of the pro field, I imagine it will be deep. As for the time, as Sean mentioned she just wants to win. No doubt she is capable of sub 1:10 and probably 1:09 as well. Remains to be seen if they go out fast but I suspect they will.

No doubt the field will be deeper but presumably Hasay, Huddle, Flanagan, and Davila will not be there since they raced Boston, wonder if Cragg, Infeld, and so on will be there. I think sub 1:09 would indicate a very significant jump in fitness from her recent performances, she hasn't been back running all that long and I'd be very surprised to see her do that. Pleasantly surprised, though!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Same. I was through Pittsburgh a number of years ago on a driving Sales Road Trip, and I was shocked with how hilly it was in the area. With the exception of the rivers themselves, the land rises abruptly in every direction from the downtown core.

I would think that it's a fabulous area for cycling - when you get just outside the city. Others who I've spoke to have confirmed with me that the riding in the area is amazing and that it's s bit of sleeper in this regard.

As for GJ - as others have stated, I'm thinking a time in the 70 minute range is right around where she should be based on her recent track performances. This is the next step.

Just my personal view, but it does seem a bit rushed. I would have thought spending more time (6 months to a year), running 5000/10000 on the track and same on the road, would have been the wiser approach. But my sense is that there is a bit of time pressure, to be ready for the best marathon run/race of her life for the 2020 US Olympic Marathon Trials - which was just confirmed earlier this week in Atlanta, on Feb 29, 2020 - http://www.letsrun.com/...pic-marathon-trials/

That's less than 2 years away, and time is marching on quickly!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 25, 18 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen hm debut [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

When compared to the full marathon course the first half is relatively flat and fast, yes. Maybe I am conditioned to think rolling hills are flat and fast because of where I lived for most of my life. I mean...this isn't Florida...there are going to be elevation changes...but its not bad at all over the HM course.

Living in Philly now I suppose Pittsburgh has a lot more elevation than I give it credit for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah seeing the field will be interesting. Actually wouldn’t be too surprised to see Huddle there.
Regarding the 1:09, I think considering the 10k wasn’t all out it is definitely in the realm of possibility in a nicely paced race. I would love to see her race against some real talent and see how fast she can go, hopefully she will enter into a few paced races and not only go Mo/Rupp style for the W.

Quote Reply