Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greenville South Carolina...where to live?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Considering, loosely, a move to Greenville. Where are the nicer areas to be able to live, train, access to pools/water and amenities? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if close enough but we lived in Duncan-25 minutes from downtown Greenville where I worked-for five years and loved it. Great cycling and running out the front door and we were four miles from Middle Tyger Y with 50 meter x 25 yard pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot. Are there any Y’s or workout clubs near to downtown? I plan on looking closely myself but want to hear the good and bad about the area.
We’re really just starting the search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't lived there since 2011 but the Caine Halter Y had a six lane 25 yard pool with a bubble that they remove in warmer months. Caine Halter Y is about a mile with Cleveland Park which is great for cycling and running. There is also the Westside Aquatic facility, never went there but I heard it is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends upon what type of house you need and how much land you'd like. The northern parts of Greenville County, north of Greenville proper, offer great value if you don't want to drive a great distance to go cycling - if you want a more quiet setting you can leave from your front door and do many different long loops up into Saluda, NC and the mountains along the SC/NC border. There's some great mountain biking as well.

The East side of Greenville is heavily-developed suburbia and red light after red light, into Taylors and Greer. Travelers Rest is a lovely small town 5 miles north of Greenville. Living near the Swamp Rabbit Trail can be great for running, but it's more of a recreational cycling trail. There are lots more businesses springing up along the trail, which connects the downtown up into Travelers Rest.

The quality of life here is good, and the real estate prices (while climbing b/c of lack of supply and everyone moving here) are still less than other metro areas in the south, and compared to the Northeast or West coast, crazy affordable.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [Oysterman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and most helpful. This would be an early semi-retirement. We may swing through the area soon to sniff around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kroc center is about a 1/4 mile from downtown, right on the swamp rabbit trail with a really nice pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thenicetwin wrote:
Hi,
Considering, loosely, a move to Greenville. Where are the nicer areas to be able to live, train, access to pools/water and amenities? Thanks

I'm about an hour from greenville. Kroc center is good for swimming, swamp rabbit trail for a bike workout or long run, Donaldson Airport area for a long ride. Stores host crits on the donaldson airport loop as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived there for 10 years. Downtown Greenville....100% for sure (I did not live Downtown...wish I had). I thought the Kroc center pool was awful....way too warm. There is a awesome natatorium (Westside aquatic), near downtown....not the best neighborhood around it though....but a fantastic pool. Downtown puts you in the middle of everything.....the swamp rabbit trail is great for running. Several group rides (including Hincapie's....although not advertised) start from downtown....hop on the swamp rabbit on your bike to get out of downtown and you are climbing into the mountains in no time. They have put a lot of $$ into the downtown area and being close to there would be very cool in the evenings/weekends.

It is a laid back, slow, sort of town compared to larger cities...but the people are nice, there are plenty of triathletes, the cycling is awesome, and the weather is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check out Travelers Rest. Lots of good restaurants and laid back vibe. Can swim at Furman In TR, Kroc Center in North Greenville, Westide for long course meters. Greenville Splash is a great masters club. Paris Mtn is in your backyard for road or MTB and great trail running. Great loop to climb Ceaser’s Head from your doorstep. 45’ Drive to lake Jocasse for OWS. DuPont state Park is an hour away for awesome MTB or gravel riding.1:15 to Brevard. PM me if you want some more info when you’re in town.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
thenicetwin wrote:
Hi,

I'm about an hour from greenville. Kroc center is good for swimming, swamp rabbit trail for a bike workout or long run, Donaldson Airport area for a long ride. Stores host crits on the donaldson airport loop as well.

also on facebook you can join Greenville Triathlon Training

psa, there's a ton of sarcastic people (kind of like slowtwitch now that I think of it) there so take everything with a light heart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So go sign up for Du Nationals next year in Greenville—good race and a chance to check it out running and biking thru part of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Greenville South Carolina...where to live? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea! Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clemson or Easley are nice if you are moving from far away. Travelers rest if you are into climbing a lot. But really anywhere is nice in this area. Saying that I'm actually moving to Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere north of I-85 is good for hopping on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and getting north of town for riding. Once you hit Travelers Rest then you are out in rolling country roads with very little traffic.
Paris Mountain is right off the Swamp Rabbit Trail, so you can make a great lunch ride by taking the trail to Paris Mountain.
Big mountains are about an hour and a half ride north of town

Looking for stuff to live around where Furman is keeps you out of the expense of downtown but puts you right in the middle of really good riding. Travelers Rest is great now that there's a lot more restaurants.
The Tuesday evening road race at Donaldson is super fast and we have full police support. We'll usually average about 26.5 to 27mph average for the 35 mile race. I always have a group that rides from our office (on the Swamp Rabbit Trail), races, and then rides back. It's a good way to get a hard 55 mile ride in during the week.