Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reverse arm swing while running?
Quote | Reply
An athlete I have been coaching for 6-7 months recently asked me if he should consider reversing his arm carriage since he swing opposite of what most would consider normal. His right arm moves forward in sync with his right knee and left with left. I have not run WITH this 52 y/o male runner in person very often, but I have to say I did not notice this at all. A quick googling on the web has turned up virtually nothing on the topic. He is a solid 50+ runner that is about 1 year removed from back surgery and in the last 3-4 months has really started to make some gains with his time. Anyone else heard of this? I'm thinking that would be a drastic change to try to reverse your run swing? Does anyone think it would be a good idea to try to have him reverse it?

John

Quote Reply
Re: Reverse arm swing while running? [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's probably not using a reverse arm swing. That would be extremely awkward. I have a friend that once told me he was swinging his arms the wrong way. But in fact he runs perfectly normal. Some people are just not in tune with their body and not fully aware of what it does.

So, a good start would be to watch him run and see what's really going on.
Quote Reply