Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust
Quote | Reply
Considering the Warsaw ghetto uprising occurred this week 73 years ago, and Israel's birth was 70 years ago this week, as well, I thought this story deserved a mention, too.

Some years ago, a British TV show introduced a woman in the audience as one of the Jewish children who were saved by Sir Nicholas Winton in 1938, and after explaining what he did and how they found out (he had never told anyone), then the hostess tells her "And the man who saved you is sitting there next to you."

So after they meet, the hostess turns to the audience and asks "And do we have anybody else here tonight whose life was saved by Mr. Winton?"

And that's when every last person in the audience stands up. It had all been arranged in advance by the show's producers. Watch the video for the full story.

Gee, is someone cutting up onions around this joint? :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Apr 20, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It guts me that few know of this man while masses fawn over Kim Kardashian and/or Kylie Jenner.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many people know about Irena Sendler either. She helped to smuggle around 2500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto. She never revealed the children’s true identities to the Nazis when she was arrested and tortured. http://www.pbs.org/program/irena-sendler/
These people are truly amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
Not many people know about Irena Sendler either. She helped to smuggle around 2500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto. She never revealed the children’s true identities to the Nazis when she was arrested and tortured. http://www.pbs.org/program/irena-sendler/
These people are truly amazing.

There are smaller pockets of this sort of thing all over Europe, especially in Holland and Denmark. These people are unknown heroes. I remember a TV show years ago about a Dutch farmer that hid numerous Jewish children on his farm. When the interviewer called him a hero he said "I am no hero, just an ordinary Dutch farmer who did the right thing".
Quote Reply
Re: The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my sisters married a guy whose parents are Danish. It wasn't until the parents were tracked down and interviewed by some journalist doing a story about the Danish underground that the kids learned the extent of their parents involvement.

Most don't consider themselves heroes and don't relish or seek the attention.

I lived in Norway back in the mid-70's and heard of Norwegians when they were forced to build embankments and cement bases for machine gun/ anti-aircraft gun mounts hid bags of concrete and used fewer than needed for strength so when the guns were fired the guns would rip out of the weak cement. To be caught meant instant execution

Loads of amazing stories of heroism and courage.
Quote Reply
Re: The Man Who Saved 669 Children From the Holocaust [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are all great stories. Thanks for sharing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply