Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Well, my retirement didn't last long...
Quote | Reply
I was retired for exactly 4 months and 2 weeks. On Monday I go back to work full time again. After 27 years as a LEO in California, I pulled the pin this last December, moved to 'Merica and told myself I'd never work again. However; an opportunity fell in my lap and hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go!

The difference this time though is that this new job, although it pays peanuts compared to CA, is something that I absolutely love. I'm at the bottom of the food chain and don't plan to promote at this place, which gives me significant mental freedom! In addition, if it does turn into a train wreck, I can just walk away because I have no skin in the game and financially I don't need the job.

Anyone else "retire" and then go right back to work?

Tim

P.S. The only sad part is I have to skip Wildflower this year. Rats!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Well, my retirement didn't last long... [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave retirement a shot some years ago, lasted 6.5 months. I just wasn’t ready, kids were just 3 and 5, wife didn’t work. We took off on our sailboat for 6 months throughout Mexico as a family and I went back to work 2 weeks after returning.

I’ll retire again within 2 years and I’m very confident it’ll stick this time. I might to some consulting or advising but I won’t take another job.

I’d consider you financially retired and working for fun - it feels great to do so because the perspective is so different.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, my retirement didn't last long... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang you! At least you’re consistent...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No
I tapped out at 57 and love it.My home for 25+yrs was on the water and now I'm land locked and dig it.
I have some land and in a loose description I'm a gentlemen farmer.
P.S. I can ride my bikes everyday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
I was retired for exactly 4 months and 2 weeks. On Monday I go back to work full time again. After 27 years as a LEO in California, I pulled the pin this last December, moved to 'Merica and told myself I'd never work again. However; an opportunity fell in my lap and hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go!

The difference this time though is that this new job, although it pays peanuts compared to CA, is something that I absolutely love. I'm at the bottom of the food chain and don't plan to promote at this place, which gives me significant mental freedom! In addition, if it does turn into a train wreck, I can just walk away because I have no skin in the game and financially I don't need the job.

Anyone else "retire" and then go right back to work?

Tim

I read The 4-hour Workweek. Yeah, thought I could do that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad has retired 4 times now. He keeps getting called back, and he keeps going.

I think he gets bored in the winters. In the summer he likes to garden, work around the house etc. So he has taken to working from late October to around Easter then stopping, only to return again next year.

I think it's great for him. He sees his work buddies, keeps busy, has extra spending money, etc.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution has been "semi-retirement" for the past 20 yrs. Worked three days a week for a 24 hr work week. Fortunately I'm self employed in a field where I can still make a decent enough living on those hours. The downside is that I'll be working longer than if I slaved a 60 hr week six day a week, but health wise, both mental and physical I believe it was the right decision.
Quote Reply