Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Come one, Come all....
Quote | Reply
It's gonna be a hot time on the town square this weekend.

https://www.myajc.com/...uwizAsuhU7U2SQ9JvRL/

Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:

“I don’t believe in hate. Kids have to see this stuff, and that’s not good,” he said. “It’s not right for the law and political system to let that happen.”

Completely disagree. All kids should go down and see it and then have a rational discussion about it with their parents. The problems arise when nobody talks about it and they learn it from other sources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, they're giving them exactly what they are hoping for. I think it would be best if no counter-protesters or media showed up - but you know that isn't going to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Well, they're giving them exactly what they are hoping for. I think it would be best if no counter-protesters or media showed up - but you know that isn't going to happen.

Exactly, I see counter-protesting as giving them just what they want, which is attention (and I dare say increased sympathy by some who might be inclined to see things their way).
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Exactly, I see counter-protesting as giving them just what they want, which is attention (and I dare say increased sympathy by some who might be inclined to see things their way).

Tough call, ignoring it won't make it go away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Agreed, but attention causes it to grow.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

What makes you think protesting will? (I assume you're talking about the phenomenon, not this march in particular).
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
ubdawg wrote:

“I don’t believe in hate. Kids have to see this stuff, and that’s not good,” he said. “It’s not right for the law and political system to let that happen.”

Completely disagree. All kids should go down and see it and then have a rational discussion about it with their parents. The problems arise when nobody talks about it and they learn it from other sources.

And maybe that person can use this as a learning experience on what the 1st Amendment is about. Maybe teach the kids about fighting words and prior restraint.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. No kids need to go see this nonsense, that only legitimizes their movement. This is best left ignored as an in person spectacle and discussed at home. My kids and I have discussed such topics often, no first hand viewing required. The counter protest will bring the media which will leave the impression it's all bigger than the reality. We will see footage of the ensuing violence.

Ignore them.
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I disagree. No kids need to go see this nonsense, that only legitimizes their movement. This is best left ignored as an in person spectacle and discussed at home. My kids and I have discussed such topics often, no first hand viewing required. The counter protest will bring the media which will leave the impression it's all bigger than the reality. We will see footage of the ensuing violence.

Ignore them.

Personally, I don't learn by being talked at/to. I need to see it, get my hands on it and experience it. Even if it is just me looking at something. I always look at it like someone is educating you based on their perspective. Which while helpful, isn't necessarily how I perceive what is happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always liked Henry Rollins idea on how to deal with this. (skip ahead to about the 2 minute mark)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ubdawg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

What makes you think protesting will? (I assume you're talking about the phenomenon, not this march in particular).

I didn't say protesting was the answer. But I don't think that ignoring it helps. I'd like to see it covered by the media, but without the counter-protesting and inevitable violence that occurs.
#1 to create the discussion and to remind people that this type of evil is still out there.
#2 as a PSA as to who these people are. Although, the public shaming route now a days seems to get out of hand very quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

Agreed, but attention causes it to grow.

I'd like to see more counter-protests taking the piss out of these types of groups vs more "intense" tactics by Antifa and the like. Maybe have a full New Orleans-style brass band drown out their speeches and create a little entertainment at the same time.

Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of those forms of counter protest a fair more effective than yelling and screaming at each other and demonstrates how "darkness can't drive out darkness, only light can do that."

The Henry Rollins Klan Khaos Disruption Team is hilarious, I hadn't heard that before.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring out the Patriot Guard, they've been known to drown out the fucksticks from Westboro Babtist Church.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Ignore them.

Personally, I don't learn by being talked at/to. I need to see it, get my hands on it and experience it. Even if it is just me looking at something. I always look at it like someone is educating you based on their perspective. Which while helpful, isn't necessarily how I perceive what is happening.

Do you show your kids videos of people being beat to death, kids being molested, etc? Do you like to experience these things yourself? You don’t need to see this and neither does your kid. I live very close to this world. I get to hear bad jokes about this all the time. There are things you don’t need to see to explain to someone. This is one of those things.
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
M~ wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Ignore them.

Do you show your kids videos of people being beat to death, kids being molested, etc? Do you like to experience these things yourself? You don’t need to see this and neither does your kid. I live very close to this world. I get to hear bad jokes about this all the time. There are things you don’t need to see to explain to someone. This is one of those things.

Well, in your specific cases above, I don't show them that because you know, it's illegal whereas what we are talking about is a free speech issue.
We had a very frank discussion with our kids about the busload of hockey players that died in the bus accident up here in Canada. If they were older, I would have showed them the photos and ended with: THIS is why we respect cars/trucks on the road and don't fuck around.
Quote Reply
Re: Come one, Come all.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Ignore them.

How old are your kids?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    I'll be there! Okay, not on Saturday, but plan to go Friday afternoon/evening and hit the coffee place (leaf and bean, or something close) and get food somewhere else, just to support the merchants that will lose money due to light crowds or decision to close on Saturday. Not interested in the Saturday theatrics, even with a coalition mounting a counter-protest, if dickheads from the violent side of Anti-fa show up, it will just feed the frenzy, and be counter-productive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ubdawg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Now this is the type of response I was talking about seeing as a counter-protest.

https://www.cnn.com/...ally-trnd/index.html

Business closes, but get community support before hand. And you chalk the park with pink unicorns and hearts. I like it!!!
Quote Reply