Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Rampage
Quote | Reply
I've been really busy, so I haven't written many reviews lately, but I've got some spare time, so here's one for Rampage.

Rampage is exactly what you expect a from a movie starring The Rock that features a giant albino gorilla and was based on an 80's video game. It's actually a pretty fun action mess, requiring minimal brain power.

Davis Okoye (Dwayne Johnson) is a primatologist and former special forces Soldier who spends more time with animals than people. He's especially close with George, an albino gorilla he saved from poachers as a baby. Davis and George are buddies, speak in sign, and life is good,...until debris from a failed space station lands in George's enclosure at the San Diego zoo. After examining the debris, George begins to change, growing rapidly and displaying uncontrolled aggression. Davis tries to figure out what's happening to George with the help of Dr. Kate Caldwell (Naomie Harris), but before he can save George, the government comes to seize the gorilla. The lead government agent (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) loads George into a cage and then takes the gorilla, Davis, and Kate onto a plane for cross country transport. Of course, that doesn't end well, and Davis and Kate find themselves in a race to stop George as he and two other creatures affected by the space debris "rampage" across the country and into the city of Chicago. Davis must find a way to save George before the government kills him, and figure out who's responsible for turning these animals into monsters.

As I said, the movie is exactly what you'd expect. Lots of big monsters, explosions, guns and rockets, collapsing buildings, and general mayhem. The effects are decent, but not spectacular, as is the comedy, acting, etc. All of it is good but not great, and that's fine, because it's just a giant gorilla movie. The characters are generally likable, including George. The plot is straight forward and pretty predictable. No brain power required to watch, but it's a good popcorn movie.

Rampage is rated PG-13. It's got a lot of violence, some language, but no sex or nudity. Little kids would probably be scared, but older kids will probably like it. Think about it as on par with the Transformers movies in terms of violence and action.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Rampage [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another excellent review.

I hate to pick just one part as my favorite, but a couple of sentences stand out as brilliant writing:

Quote:
Rampage is exactly what you expect a from a movie starring The Rock that features a giant albino gorilla and was based on an 80's video game. It's actually a pretty fun action mess, requiring minimal brain power.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply