Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment
Quote | Reply
Former First Lady Barbara Bush, wife of former President George HW Bush, is in what is being characterized as "failing health" and has decided end all medical treatment and instead accept only comfort care while she nears the end of a very long and full life.

Bush is 92 years old, and she has been married to husband George since 1945, making the former first couple the longest-married such couple in US history. She is also one of only two first ladies to give birth to sons who went on to become presidents themselves, the other being Abigail Adams.

I am not sentimental about first ladies, but I always thought that she conducted herself with dignity and class. And she is a member of the greatest generation, the one that helped stem the advance of fascism and Nazism.

God bless her as she goes into that good, good night.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad news as they are such an iconic couple here in Houston. As a Texans season ticket holder, it is not unusual to see "Babs" and "George HW" up in the owners suite. We always look for them.

He has also been a presence at the Shell Houston Open in years past but I haven't been out there in a while so I am not sure if he still does that.

Last saw George this year at the last night of the rodeo. When they announced his presence and put the cameras on him I didn't think the stadium crowd would ever sit back down.

Wishing their family the best and praying for all of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She passed away earlier today. Rest in Peace, Mrs Bush.
Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest in Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

Rest in peace, Mrs. Bush. Very sad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently yesterday she was sipping burbon. That makes me tear up. She knew, and was cool as shit probably reflecting and toasting to life.

I doubt george will be dar behind. A broken heart usually speeds death along and i imagine losing your spouse of 73 years must be incredibly painful.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Apparently yesterday she was sipping burbon. That makes me tear up. She knew, and was cool as shit probably reflecting and toasting to life.

I doubt george will be far behind. A broken heart usually speeds death along and i imagine losing your spouse of 73 years must be incredibly painful.

I agree with you. A broken heart is never subject to healing.

Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

I doubt george will be dar behind. A broken heart usually speeds death along and i imagine losing your spouse of 73 years must be incredibly painful.
Wife and I met her once (and George). Classy lady.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

I agree as well. They always struck as not only being deeply in love, but best friends and companions.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:

Not sad to me. Celebrate her life and her journey. Don't lament the years in her 90's she didn't have. They weren't going to be enjoyable anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Barbara Bush in "Failing Health," Ends Medical Treatment [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:

Not sad to me. Celebrate her life and her journey. Don't lament the years in her 90's she didn't have. They weren't going to be enjoyable anyway.

Very true. Like I said, a long and full life. A true matriarch to a political dynasty. Straddled two worlds, one in folksy Texas and the other in patrician New England, where the Bushes had roots as well. From Bill Clinton:

"Barbara Bush was a remarkable woman. She had grit & grace, brains & beauty. She was fierce & feisty in support of her family & friends, her country & her causes. She showed us what an honest, vibrant, full life looks like. Hillary and I mourn her passing and bless her memory."

Quote Reply