Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! What to carry on bike incase of flat - Renting Disc + 808 for IMTX
Quote | Reply
Help! What do I need to carry in case of a flat during IMTX. Please provide links and I will purchase :)

Do I need two different tubes due to the valves? Or is it same tube and get some sort of extender?

Does Pit Stop work?

I know I'll need CO2 and a lever. Just confused on the actual tube/valve etc.

THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! What to carry on bike incase of flat - Renting Disc + 808 for IMTX [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Butyl tube that has the correct length valve to work in the disc. Make the sure the tube has a removable valve core, and pack the little tool to remove the valve core, along with an extender.....and I would add a valve core to the extender so it is one less thing to do. Tire lever depending on how tight the tires are. Crack pipe that fits on CO2 and can get into the hole on the disc. It would be much easier to rent two 808's if you are not used to messing with a disc. They are a bit tricky at first. Also, if I were you....I would go ahead and replace the tubes in both wheels before race day. 1) you could run latex 2) you will know they are new. Once installed....do 30 minute ride to make sure they don't pinch.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! What to carry on bike incase of flat - Renting Disc + 808 for IMTX [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike! how much different is the disc - you mention it is a bit tricky
Quote Reply
Re: Help! What to carry on bike incase of flat - Renting Disc + 808 for IMTX [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 minute 30 seconds faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Thanks Mike! how much different is the disc - you mention it is a bit tricky

I would go look at a disc at your LBS. You are going to be dealing with two different stem lengths and a smaller area to get the CO2 on the stem. It's not rocket science, but it was a bit of a hassle for me when I first got a disc. Had I never messed with one....I would not want the side of the road during a race to be my first experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can take the extender off the flatted tube on the 808 and use it on the new tube (takes a few seconds more). Just remember to do it before you install the new tube. A few wraps of Teflon plumbers tape (any auto store or Home Depot) on the valve stem will make sure the extender doesn’t leak.
Also get a mini pump like the Blackburn airstik or Topeak micro rocket. Both will fit in a disc opening. They take 3ish minutes to pump a tire, but you won’t be stranded if something goes wrong with the CO2.

Your whole flat kit (lever, co2, micro pump, tube, patch kit) will fit in a standard water bottle. You can put this in a spare cage or lash it behind your saddle.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Help! What to carry on bike incase of flat - Renting Disc + 808 for IMTX [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I like the idea of investing in the micro pump long term.

Do you know if Pit Stop works fine with the long tube stem of the 808/disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Thanks! I like the idea of investing in the micro pump long term.

Do you know if Pit Stop works fine with the long tube stem of the 808/disc?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._on_a_disk_P2913506/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply