Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RV/ Trailer Towing Question
Quote | Reply
We purchased a 30' travel trailer in November. One of the sale conditions was the dealer storing it for the winter. We are scheduled to pick it up on Monday. The forecast is current rain and 20-30 mph winds. Should I reschedule my pick up or will it be ok driving with it? I'll need to travel about 2-2.5 hours to bring it home on decent two-lane roads.

thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5th wheel or bumper pull? What are you hauling it with? If bumper pull do you have weight distribution and anti-sway bars? Are u experienced?

If it’s a bumper pull without a fancy hitch and u have a light vehicle and no experience you aren’t going to enjoy that drive.
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vehicle rated to tow 150% trailer weight and sway hitch but not experienced thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do it but it won’t be fun. I’d go a different day if you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd pick a different day.

20 years ago, I bought a boat that was about the largest size you could tow without a permit. I had a lot of experience towing but my wife was a different story. Towing the toy home, she became more and more anxious and she never was comfortable when we towed the boat. On the positive side, we sold the boat after a few years and bought a bigger one, albeit one that wasn't tow-able, so it all worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never enjoyed towing anything so we’re looking at a small class A like a 27’. Or maybe class B. All rv’s aee a compromise
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
On the positive side, we sold the boat after a few years and bought a bigger one, albeit one that wasn't tow-able, so it all worked out.
Backdoor brag...

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine, just make sure your mirrors are set to see towards the back of the trailer. It will be like bringing home your first kid from the hospital for awhile, and then later you will be doing 70mph like it is nothing. Try and at least do the 55mph though, nothing worse than a trailer road hog!! (-;
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After I typed my reply, I thought is was a bit dick-ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ll be fine in those winds if you go the speed limit and have the sway bars on. Remember: if it starts getting squirrelly on you, don’t hit the brakes,,,just take your foot off the gas and it’ll settle down quickly. Piece of cake??
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
You’ll be fine in those winds if you go the speed limit and have the sway bars on. Remember: if it starts getting squirrelly on you, don’t hit the brakes,,,just take your foot off the gas and it’ll settle down quickly. Piece of cake??

Speed up so it pulls in behind you. Activate trailer brakes if you have that option.
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have big water tanks and can you fill them?

At least with my horse trailer- it pulls much better in the wind loaded than it does empty.

Maybe throw a few 1100 pound horses in it?

Sounds like you should be fine though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sounds like your tow vehicle is up to the task, but even so, the drive will not be fun with wind like that. Headwind will blow the shit out of your gas mileage and a side wind will give you a nice butt pucker factor.

I've towed a tiny house that was near 12k lbs and a toy hauler that is 7,500 or so. The 7,500 was much easier, but there is still room for it to throw the truck around a bit if the conditions are right. I would recommend you install some helpers on the truck/tow vehicle, it makes life much, much better. Many choose to go with airbags that sit between the frame and the axle. The airbags are nice but they are high maintenance as they can leak, they have to be adjusted to the load, and you can't leave them empty so even unloaded you have to have some PSI in them which leads to a stiffer ride. I recommend Timbrens. They are like an airbag but are basically just huge rubber bushings that you install between the axle and frame where your stock bumpstops were. The benefit is they do not touch the axle until the vehicle starts to squat, then it helps to pick up some of the weight and makes the vehicle much more stable. Well worth the $150 or so and the 15 minutes it takes to install.

Happy RV'ing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the purchase. Wife and I just bought a 2nd-hand popup trailer, (in the budget and what our vehicle can tow easily). We've just started repainting the cabinetry, replacing the upholstery and generally getting it ship-shape again.

Backdoor brag, I drove it down to the canvas guys this morning to have the seams restitched, a couple of mesh panels replaced. I successfully backed it into their bay without hitting anything, first time! And I got it hooked up to the van last night with no outside assistance. Not bad for about the 3rd time in my life I've driven a trailer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: RV/ Trailer Towing Question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just food for thought, if you have the option I would postpone. Sounds like your rig and hitch would be up to the task but the experience is a different animal. It can be pretty spooky feeling the trailer pull you around the road with wind gusts and yeah a head wind say good bye to fuel.

When I first started pulling our camper it was a little scary but now no big deal even in the wind.
We have a 34' toy hauler, weighs in at 12,400lbs empty, add 80 gallons of water, full fuel tanks, a 1600lb UTV and all of our other stuff and I'm around 16,500 lbs. Truck is a F350 Diesel with single rear wheels rated to pull 18,000 safely.

I had one trip across Idaho 2 years ago coming back from the sand dunes and the first year we owned the RV. Windy as hell and it was white knuckle the whole way but I made it. Now if I made the same trip it wouldn't be a big deal as you get used to the trailer moving around in certain conditions.

Good luck with what ever you do.
Quote Reply