Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh
Quote | Reply
Posted recap on my blog - here

tldr - swim improving, bike was not great, run held up good.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed reading that. I swam 1 minute slower than you, and I'm still trying to work on my Open Water speed, as I am significantly faster in the pool (about 5 minutes for the same distance). I hear you on the steep ramps. I was on good pace during the first half, I was on route to a 5:17, but the last time I had to go up the pier just killed me. After that my quads were hurting every time I tried to pick up the pace. After the turn-around, something in my shoe had been bothering me for about 4 miles, and I thought it was a rock, when I stopped to get it out of my shoe I realized there was nothing in there. Last 2 miles were painful; quads blowing up, blister burning on my foot, ended finishing in 5:23.

This was my first 70.3, so no time goal, but now I know where I'm at, and I'm hungry for more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work and solid report! I feel like your run is a lot better than your bike based on the 2:50/1:29 splits, but that's still solid work all across the board.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 10, 18 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Good work and solid report! I feel like your run is a lot better than your bike based on the 2:50/1:29 splits, but that's still solid work all across the board.

Significantly better I would say. I rode 2:46, and I ran 1:51 XD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats. for all practical purposes you were under 5hrs. Re: The number on the bike deal is something to check on for every race. Ironically, I've never had to wear mine, but, perhaps someday...

That is a solid run, you seem to have some low hanging fruit to work on in the water and on the bike, but, that's what makes life interesting; always something to work on.

Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Significantly better I would say. I rode 2:46, and I ran 1:51 XD

Yeah, I am a 2:4X guy in shape but nowhere near 1:30. Best was 1:55
Quote Reply
Re: O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hills on the bike come back to haunt you on those short punchy ups and downs on the run.
First 70.3, it's tough to pencil out because, as you've experienced, you just don't know how the body is going to respond.
A 70.3 course w flatter bike and run, and a lake swim would certainly be faster. But what's the fun in that?
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: O'side recap - M45-49, kinda meh [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
The hills on the bike come back to haunt you on those short punchy ups and downs on the run.
First 70.3, it's tough to pencil out because, as you've experienced, you just don't know how the body is going to respond.
A 70.3 course w flatter bike and run, and a lake swim would certainly be faster. But what's the fun in that?
KS

True. Very very true. It's Tuesday and my quads are still quite tender. The race was very fun, and I'm 100% certain I will give it another go next year and see if I can have a better performance. See how close I can get to 5 hours.
Quote Reply