Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP testing question
Quote | Reply
Aero or upright? I’m doing 2 tests, indoor and outdoor. I generate more upright, but if my setting my targets for a race, I would think I should be in race position.
(Yes, I tried searching first)
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing question [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test as you'll race. Indoors, you can stay in aero the entire time easily, but I would not, because on most outdoor courses you do get some respite from the aero position. But in both cases, pick a course that allows you to spend most of the time indoors, but I think it should also be a course that has some standing, some cornering, some seated climbing, and some fast descending. Likewise, in an indoor test, I think you should mimic such position changes. 90% of the test in aero, but do make use of other positions, just as you would outside.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing question [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Test as you'll race. Indoors, you can stay in aero the entire time easily, but I would not, because on most outdoor courses you do get some respite from the aero position. But in both cases, pick a course that allows you to spend most of the time indoors, but I think it should also be a course that has some standing, some cornering, some seated climbing, and some fast descending. Likewise, in an indoor test, I think you should mimic such position changes. 90% of the test in aero, but do make use of other positions, just as you would outside.

Makes sense. I have to do both because my PowerTap (outdoor) and Tacx (indoor) give major differences.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing question [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test and set training levels in the position that enables you to produce the most power while indoors and outdoors. Anything less and you'll be training at sub-threshold efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Test and set training levels in the position that enables you to produce the most power while indoors and outdoors. Anything less and you'll be training at sub-threshold efforts.

I suspect that would be true if I tested in Aero, but then trained on the hoods. Let’s say I test, sitting up, which generates the best possible wattage. Then I go to do a workout based on a % of that number, but spend half the time on my aerobars. Let’s say my true FTP is 250 sitting up, and 225 in aero. Then I tell you I’m going to do 4 x 12 min at 230 Watts. Am I doing 90-95% of FTP? Guess we need to know how I ride those workouts, right? Perhaps it’s splitting hairs and really doesn’t matter?
I have always tested a month from a major race, in Aero, and used that to calculate my race targets. I’m less sure what to do while in a training block.
Quote Reply