Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD)
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooooooooooooooooo that's cool

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been vaporware for so long I'd forgotten about it....
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting . . . but the biggest ring offered is 44T? Is that correct? If it is, I would think Tri/TT bikes are going to need a lot more teeth.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Interesting . . . but the biggest ring offered is 44T? Is that correct? If it is, I would think Tri/TT bikes are going to need a lot more teeth.

Nah, it’s meant to be combined with their 9/32 cassette. 44-9 is a pretty solid gear.

....now they just need a TT bike to throw it on...:

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

Nah, it’s meant to be combined with their 9/32 cassette. 44-9 is a pretty solid gear.

....now they just need a TT bike to throw it on...:

That makes sense. I didn't know they made a 9T cog. Still, the narrow Q-factor would keep it off my bike. My frame barely clears a Shimano crank!
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vision Looks Familiar... It was on Starky's bike last season
Last edited by: Etexag: Apr 4, 18 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lost efficiency on a 44-9 gear would be pretty huge.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

+1. Not practical for going fast.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

How much do you think? I assume we're mostly talking about the cog, as I'd think one you get to 44 teeth the efficiency differences are beyond marginal for each additional tooth.

From the Friction Facts report (with 53t ring), there are no losses until 13. There's about 0.5W loss for 13, another 0.5W for 12, and 0.75 for 11. It's tough to extrapolate from so few points, but it looks like there might be a deflection point around 11t. So possibly 5-8W loss from 14 to 9?

In any case for a TT, it does seem that the you'd want to gear so you're in at least a 14 most of the time. Which would take >> 44t ring for most people.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This,

But I would guess I haven’t looked at it as closely as you or others.

IE % time in the 9 or10...say in an IM.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 44 when Aerocoach is pushing a 60 for a fast front chain ring. Someone has the right idea for all out fast TTs and I am going to guess it isn't 3T.

On a related note, I have wondered what Aqua Blue would ride for a TT bike this year. Anybody seen what bike they are using? P5 would be my guess, but I haven't seen anything yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Best get some big jockey wheels to go with that.

At least an 11% gap to the next sprocket, nice.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
On a related note, I have wondered what Aqua Blue would ride for a TT bike this year. Anybody seen what bike they are using? P5 would be my guess, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Unmarmarked Ridley TT bikes with 2 rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be the most Slowtwitch-perfect subject line ever.

But yeah, it is pretty sexy. Sign me up....
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is what I want to know: what will 3T do for their inevitable TT frame?

guesses? P4 with disc brakes with deeper section tubes? P5x/Tririg Alpha One type aerobar system?

I love that crank, and I just want a 42t ring and pair that with their cassette(s) and can do about anything.

But, of course, I think they should abandon their rear cassette and create a single cog cassette that expands from 10t to 40t, continually variable. electric, fit on any freehub body with ability to center for optimal chain line, single front chainring. #justdoit

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yessssss

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Best get some big jockey wheels to go with that.

At least an 11% gap to the next sprocket, nice.

....in pink??

Still not getting what you guys might be getting at.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small gears are less efficient. A 9 tooth cog is super tiny. Can't see why I'd ever spend $1200 for this crankset that limits you so much and makes you slower.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Small gears are less efficient. A 9 tooth cog is super tiny. Can't see why I'd ever spend $1200 for this crankset that limits you so much and makes you slower.

first, it's $1k....

2nd, it doesn't make you slower.

3rd, all hale THM.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 8, 18 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: The Sexiest Crank Since the Zipp Vuma Quad (3T Torno LTD) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article says it will retail for $1260. I guess the second point is a matter of perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

But, of course, I think they should abandon their rear cassette and create a single cog cassette that expands from 10t to 40t, continually variable. electric, fit on any freehub body with ability to center for optimal chain line, single front chainring. #justdoit

I had a similar idea in the 90s when I was a teenager. Yours is more thought through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly pedantic but why would the weight limit include frame and baggage weight? It's not like the crank sees that weight. Not to mention the ridiculous thought of someone putting that crank on a bikepacking or touring bike.
Quote Reply