Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Message for the camera hogg [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
From a war vet...

https://m.facebook.com/...hogg-and-its-perfect

Sounds like he agrees with Hogg. Both don't want to ban guns, and both want more gun control, stopping those 0.001% of the bad eggs.

So what's your point? A war vet thinks Hogg is going about his mission in the wrong way? Who are we to judge? We didn't just see a bunch of our high school friends shot to bits.
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I imagine there are only a finite number of roles that might be suitable for those with even minimal disabilities. It seems reasonable to expect members of the forces to be physically capable.

Interesting

Im pretty sure I read of a case of a Navy Seal that lost his lower leg to an IUD (IIRC) and re-entered active service with a prosthetic leg with his former unit even though he was offered other positions.

Will try and find it.

Edit. I wasn't even close :-)
Didn't return to active service...yet

https://imgur.com/gallery/onwme
Last edited by: Andrew69: Apr 1, 18 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Believe me, I have spent plenty of time at vet hospitals( mostly in the old days) and they were quite depressing. I used to sneak 6 paks of beer in for the guys that had no arms, and fill their plastic bottles with it. It was a very sad situation, guessing the guys today have it a ton better than the Vietnam vets did.

So is this one of those things where no one gets to disagree with a vet no matter what? And if they got injured, then how concievably could anything they do be wrong? But I guess I should have figured as much, you guys miss the point and go right for the old flag no matter what.

So this kid getting shot at and having his mates die right in front of him gets no consideration from you all, but if you put on a uniform and go fight you can do or say nothing wrong, got it...

Wow did you ever miss the point. No one is claiming the soldier is infallible or that his point cannot be challenged. The problem is your characterization of the soldier, which is pretty disgusting.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say his response is rather nuanced. In short, it appears he respects the rights of others, while still holding his personal opinion. I’d say he’s applied some thought to all of this. Lots of respect for that.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:
I like the comment immediately below:

Or ... hear me out here, he's participating in what's supposed to make this country great by bringing to light what he thinks should be changed or altered so things like this doesn't happen again?
Using, oh shit, freedom of speech

That definitely makes him a commie.

The problem is he's acting like a young fascist in trying to suppress the views of those who don't agree with him. He and the other teenagers -- with their overblown rhetoric about guns, about politicians supposedly being "bought off" by the NRA, with they and any other gun rights advocate having "blood on their hands" for being so -- are making the public debate about guns even more poisonous and less civil than before (and it was already pretty bad). Because they're teenagers. Meaning they're still kids. And kids are precocious that way.

Students at that Parkland high school experienced a trauma, no doubt about it. No one should deny them their grief or blame them for being impassioned. We should also make allowance for the fact that Hogg and the others speaking out for gun reforms are but teenagers, and teens universally believe that they know better than their elders about every single subject known to humankind. I can live with that, as long as the adults in the room understand that what we're hearing from them is teenage-level discourse, often devoid of facts or logic.

Hogg's and the others' passion also doesn't excuse sometimes-scurrilous smearing of the other side in the gun debate. All it does is make the millions of law-abiding gun owners out there dig in their heels even more, and then they start fighting back.

You don't find ironic that you accuse him of trying to "suppress the views of those who don't agree with him", yet in multiple rants in multiple threads you accuse him of being a fascist, a commie (can you be a fascist and a commie at the same time?), devoid of facts and logic, gun grabbing, dark money, barely able to take care of themselves, Kiddie Krusade, etc.

Another irony is that you make the comment "the 2nd Amendment, which also helps to guarantee the 1st Amendment they're using so vociferously" yet in a number of posts, including the one above you make thinly veiled threats to "fight" back and suppress your opponents free speech.
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [TTF70.3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTF70.3 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:

Or ... hear me out here, he's participating in what's supposed to make this country great by bringing to light what he thinks should be changed or altered so things like this doesn't happen again?

The problem is he's acting like a young fascist in trying to suppress the views of those who don't agree with him. He and the other teenagers -- with their overblown rhetoric about guns, about politicians supposedly being "bought off" by the NRA, with they and any other gun rights advocate having "blood on their hands" for being so -- are making the public debate about guns even more poisonous and less civil than before (and it was already pretty bad). Because they're teenagers. Meaning they're still kids. And kids are precocious that way.

Students at that Parkland high school experienced a trauma, no doubt about it. No one should deny them their grief or blame them for being impassioned. We should also make allowance for the fact that Hogg and the others speaking out for gun reforms are but teenagers, and teens universally believe that they know better than their elders about every single subject known to humankind. I can live with that, as long as the adults in the room understand that what we're hearing from them is teenage-level discourse, often devoid of facts or logic.

Hogg's and the others' passion also doesn't excuse sometimes-scurrilous smearing of the other side in the gun debate. All it does is make the millions of law-abiding gun owners out there dig in their heels even more, and then they start fighting back.

You don't find ironic that you accuse him of trying to "suppress the views of those who don't agree with him", yet in multiple rants in multiple threads you accuse him of being a fascist, a commie (can you be a fascist and a commie at the same time?), devoid of facts and logic, gun grabbing, dark money, barely able to take care of themselves, Kiddie Krusade, etc.

Another irony is that you make the comment "the 2nd Amendment, which also helps to guarantee the 1st Amendment they're using so vociferously" yet in a number of posts, including the one above you make thinly veiled threats to "fight" back and suppress your opponents free speech.

1. I've found, since my return from self-imposed exile, that folks on the left here in the LR have the habit of labeling any opposing speech they personally don't like as a "rant." That's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to get us to sit down and shut up while we're being lectured by those here who supposedly know what's best for everyone. (Hint: they don't.)

2. You confuse criticism -- which the leader of the Young Red Guards is deserving of in many cases, especially after he engages in yet another attempt to silence those with whom he disagrees -- with censorship. Has anyone told Wannabe Che that he isn't free to speak? I think not. Has anyone also told him that his speech is protected from criticism? I hope not, because it's certainly not.

3. The trick that gets pulled whenever one of these Parkland kids says something obnoxious or scurrilous against supporters of gun rights and the 2nd Amendment more generally is obvious:

a. First, we're admonished that we need to listen to these teens because they've been gifted with wisdom and insight from having been a shooting survivor (newsflash; survivorship doesn't typically convey such things, and also: these kids definitely DON'T represent the views of all the Parkland survivors).

b. Then, when they receive criticism for having said something obnoxious against 2A supporters (such as young Hogg's declaration that all NRA supporters -- and you can count me among that esteemed group now -- "have blood on their hands") and adults in general, we're hit with cries of "Hey! Can't you see they're just kids? Give 'em a break!"

Young master Hogg can't have it both ways. Either be prepared for the give-and-take that's a part of entering the public square or sit down and let the adults work these things out through reasoned public debate. Because all Hogg and the rest of the Kiddie Korps are doing is, as I've said before, poisoning the debate and making it even more difficult to have a civil discourse with pro-gun-control folks.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
My oh my how you rabid defenders of the constitution love you some second amendment.

No hypocrisy at all about how much you hate the first though.

Bunch of snowflakes.

"oh no, he swore... now we can't take him seriously!!!!"

For a former soldier, you really are a gigantic pussy.

I love the anonymity of the Internet and how it enables the insult gene that many of us apparently possess in abundance.

I'm not a former soldier, by the way. I'm a retired Navy officer who was once an enlisted man (a Hospital Corpsman, with years of service with the Marine Corps and other "tree suit wearing" units), making me a former Sailor (Fleet Marine Force-qualified "special operations technician"), if you'd like to use that appellation. Or you can call me by my retired Navy officer rank or "Doc" or "Tee" or "BK" or "Big Dummy." I really don't care. Look, sir. If you're going to throw out scurrilous insults, at least get them factually straight.

See, as well, my rejoinder to Mr. 70.3 about whether anyone on "my side" has attempted to silence the leader of the Young Red Guards. We have not. But you, too, appear to have confused criticism -- which Mr. Hogg is deserving of in abundance -- with censorship.

Look, I know they do things differently up in Canada -- where public speech can apparently be sanctioned by some sort of provincial board (and how provincial is that?) -- but down here everyone pretty much has the unencumbered right to speak out and say what's on their mind. I don't know what words of solace I should utter if you unfortunately find that fact uncomfortable or discomforting.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been multiple amputees returning to active duty in combat MOS. Not a big surprise it's usually SOF-types. There's a great photo floating out there of an amputee with full battle rattle and his backup "assault" leg strapped to his backpack.

http://www.blackfive.net/...-in-afghanistan.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/...set_for_another_tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think part of the problem is, the "children", as is their lot in life, at the moment, have no choice but to " let the adults work these things out through reasoned public debate." And, frankly the adults haven't really been getting the job done.

Having said that, gutting or getting rid of the 2nd amendment is just not going to happen, and really shouldn't happen, especially with the current Cheeto in charge as president. We don't need more laws, we need what we have to be better enforced, and maybe we should make it harder for someone to get an arsenal into the school in the first place. And no...we don't want to arm teachers, don't think it's a good idea to have guns in the classroom... I know BRILLIANT!

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
...all Hogg and the rest of the Kiddie Korps are doing is, as I've said before, poisoning the debate and making it even more difficult to have a civil discourse with pro-gun-control folks.

Ahh, now I understand! You're upset because all you want is to have civil discourse on the subject. That explains everything. After Sandy Hook I was under the mistaken notion that some members of our society were keen on actual change to our gun and mental health laws, but now I understand we all just want civil discourse. I'm so silly. Thanks for clarifying and hopefully Hogg et al will soon get the memo and pipe down.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Apr 2, 18 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
...all Hogg and the rest of the Kiddie Korps are doing is, as I've said before, poisoning the debate and making it even more difficult to have a civil discourse with pro-gun-control folks.

Ahh, now I understand! You're upset because all you want is to have civil discourse on the subject. That explains everything. After Sandy Hook I was under the mistaken notion that some members of our society were keen on actual change to our gun and mental health laws, but now I understand we all just want civil discourse. I'm so silly. Thanks for clarifying and hopefully Hogg et al will soon get the memo and pipe down.

Civil discourse does not involve organizing boycotts or otherwise pressuring private businesses nor does civil discourse involve claiming the National Rifle Association of having blood on its hands (there are more/worse but I am not going to go look them up atm).

I am on my mobile and my shift is about to start. Perhaps more later.

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:

1. I've found, since my return from self-imposed exile, that folks on the left here in the LR have the habit of labeling any opposing speech they personally don't like as a "rant." That's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to get us to sit down and shut up while we're being lectured by those here who supposedly know what's best for everyone. (Hint: they don't.)

2. You confuse criticism -- which the leader of the Young Red Guards is deserving of in many cases, especially after he engages in yet another attempt to silence those with whom he disagrees -- with censorship. Has anyone told Wannabe Che that he isn't free to speak? I think not. Has anyone also told him that his speech is protected from criticism? I hope not, because it's certainly not.

3. The trick that gets pulled whenever one of these Parkland kids says something obnoxious or scurrilous against supporters of gun rights and the 2nd Amendment more generally is obvious:

a. First, we're admonished that we need to listen to these teens because they've been gifted with wisdom and insight from having been a shooting survivor (newsflash; survivorship doesn't typically convey such things, and also: these kids definitely DON'T represent the views of all the Parkland survivors).

b. Then, when they receive criticism for having said something obnoxious against 2A supporters (such as young Hogg's declaration that all NRA supporters -- and you can count me among that esteemed group now -- "have blood on their hands") and adults in general, we're hit with cries of "Hey! Can't you see they're just kids? Give 'em a break!"

Young master Hogg can't have it both ways. Either be prepared for the give-and-take that's a part of entering the public square or sit down and let the adults work these things out through reasoned public debate. Because all Hogg and the rest of the Kiddie Korps are doing is, as I've said before, poisoning the debate and making it even more difficult to have a civil discourse with pro-gun-control folks.

just as a point of order, hogg can't be a "Young Red Guard" and a "Wannabe Che" while also being a "fascist". it's obvious you've declared war in this high school kid in your non-rants, but he can't both be ultra right and ulta left (all in the same thread). carry on...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 2, 18 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Message for the camera hogg [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timberwolf wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Civil discourse does not involve organizing boycotts or otherwise pressuring private businesses nor does civil discourse involve claiming the National Rifle Association of having blood on its hands (there are more/worse but I am not going to go look them up atm).

I am on my mobile and my shift is about to start. Perhaps more later.

Whooosh.

(the sound of my point going over your head)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point of clarification. David Hogg was not shot at nor did anyone die in front of him. He was on lockdown in a classroom during the shooting. The room he was in never was breached.

Re: Message for the camera hogg [Constantine]
monty
Apr 1, 18 16:12
Views: 381
Believe me, I have spent plenty of time at vet hospitals( mostly in the old days) and they were quite depressing. I used to sneak 6 paks of beer in for the guys that had no arms, and fill their plastic bottles with it. It was a very sad situation, guessing the guys today have it a ton better than the Vietnam vets did.

So is this one of those things where no one gets to disagree with a vet no matter what? And if they got injured, then how concievably could anything they do be wrong? But I guess I should have figured as much, you guys miss the point and go right for the old flag no matter what.

So this kid getting shot at and having his mates die right in front of him gets no consideration from you all, but if you put on a uniform and go fight you can do or say nothing wrong, got it...
Last edited by: NormM: Apr 2, 18 7:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next