Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Educate me on DVRs
Quote | Reply
So, it looks like I may have to work the entire upcoming weekend, and thus miss out on probably my favorite sporting event, The Masters. So, I went to Best Buy today and was going to pick up a TiVo, but found out it required a monthly subscription. Had no idea. are there DVRs out there that don’t require a monthly subscription? And, is 500GB good enough? Ideally, I’d like to record all of the broadcasts Thursday through Sunday...if I record the 1080p version, would 500GB be enough space? I would think it would be, but I know zippo about DVRs. Also, goal is to have the device be $200 or less...is that possible?

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
So, it looks like I may have to work the entire upcoming weekend, and thus miss out on probably my favorite sporting event, The Masters. So, I went to Best Buy today and was going to pick up a TiVo, but found out it required a monthly subscription. Had no idea. are there DVRs out there that don’t require a monthly subscription? And, is 500GB good enough? Ideally, I’d like to record all of the broadcasts Thursday through Sunday...if I record the 1080p version, would 500GB be enough space? I would think it would be, but I know zippo about DVRs. Also, goal is to have the device be $200 or less...is that possible?

Sorry about that, not sure what happened... anyhow.

First some questions, do you get your tv over the air, or do you pay for cable, or are you just streaming it? That will change the answers significantly. Only a few options, but good ones if you have an antenna and get it over the air.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Mar 31, 18 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on DVRs [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have cable.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
We have cable.

Sorry to hear that. Can't help you. I think your choices are going to be somewhat limited to who is your provider and what DVR's work with them. But really don't have a clue, cut the cord 21yrs ago.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on DVRs [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
We have cable.

You cable service provider should have a DVR box option. Usually costs about $5-7/month. But, you can get it, keep it for a couple months, then turn it back in.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Mar 31, 18 17:55
Quote | Reply
we dropped cable and went to youtube tv - - - free unlimited 'DVR' in the cloud - - - and can watch from any device
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on DVRs [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
spot wrote:
We have cable.

Sorry to hear that. Can't help you. I think your choices are going to be somewhat limited to who is your provider and what DVR's work with them. But really don't have a clue, cut the cord 21yrs ago.

So cable companies normally set you up with their cable box and off you go.

However, you can ask them for a cable card, which can plug in to certain DVRs (TiVo is one). They'll probably act like they don't know what it is or pretend they don't have them anymore or some other garbage. But they are required to provide them (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/76.1205).

TiVo info here: https://support.tivo.com/...llation-Instructions

You still have to pay for a normal subscription to whatever cable channels you want, of course.

Way beyond what were talking about here, but that same cable card can be placed into a special tv tuner pc card. With the right software, you can record anything and archive everything. A HTPC will give you the most power and options, but there is a lot of setup.

Minor compression, 1080p is about 2GB per hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up with Fubo.tv for a trial so I could watch the next several weeks of bike races.

Wait until Wednesday, then sign up for the 1-week trial, and you will be able to watch The Masters (and DVR-it too).
Quote Reply