Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zone training
Quote | Reply
So I’m trying to train with heart rate zones. Problem is my heart rate is sooo dam high. I have a resting rate of 55 but can comfortably hold 170 for 2 hour+ running. During a FTP recently it peaked at 187.

When I try to contain it to 80% being 144 it is so hard it feels like I’m not even exercising, such an awkward slow pace.

So what do you do, just persist at the low heart rate and gradually pick up your speed (hopefully) whilst keeping your heart rate low? So I tried to search but search tool is useless.
Quote Reply
Re: Zone training [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
So I’m trying to train with heart rate zones. Problem is my heart rate is sooo dam high. I have a resting rate of 55 but can comfortably hold 170 for 2 hour+ running. During a FTP recently it peaked at 187.

When I try to contain it to 80% being 144 it is so hard it feels like I’m not even exercising, such an awkward slow pace.

So what do you do, just persist at the low heart rate and gradually pick up your speed (hopefully) whilst keeping your heart rate low? So I tried to search but search tool is useless.

Work your own zones out.

You should be doing that anyway. One size fits all zoning fits no one (well, not quite but you get the idea.)

They'll be slightly different for running and cycling. It sounds you know what you can hold for 2 hours (let's call that tempo, assuming it is a hard 2 hours). You have an FTP test number - that gives your anaerobic threshold (roughly, for all the ST pedants out there.) Then you can put a level below tempo (we'll call that 'easy pace'), and above FTP (we'll call that damn hard, or flat out). That gives you 4 'zones'.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Zone training [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just stick with it. When you run slower then you usually do, it does feel uncomfortable... Just test yourself occasionally... What you should see is that your pace is getting faster at the same HR - your getting fitter. And faster...
Quote Reply
Re: Zone training [TommyTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyTris wrote:
Just stick with it. When you run slower then you usually do, it does feel uncomfortable... Just test yourself occasionally... What you should see is that your pace is getting faster at the same HR - your getting fitter. And faster...

Thanks. So just keep going slower and keeping the heart rate low and gradually I should see my pace pick up? How long does this conditioning generally take?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started zone training, I wanted to hold 136 bpm which is bottom of my aerobic zone. When I started, my pace was 9:30/mile. Acouple weeks later it was 9:17. A while lster, 8:30. Now, 3-4 months later, I have to run 7:50/mile to get my heart up to that rate

So, careful what you wish for. Now when I go for a liesurly 9:30/mile run, my heart rate is like 110 bpm which is just above warm up zone.

Just stick with it and you will have to run faster to keep that HR.

Note: I'm a pretty fit runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m very similar from a HR perspective. I’ve held 180+ avg for hr+ on race day (running).

Yes, you will get faster at the same Hr. But how did you set your zones? Do a proper test if you haven’t. Then set your zones based on your HR and also pace. Use them in conjunction. 144 seems low for you for Z2 running (just a WAG since I’m in a similar boat).

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Zone training [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
I’m very similar from a HR perspective. I’ve held 180+ avg for hr+ on race day (running).

Yes, you will get faster at the same Hr. But how did you set your zones? Do a proper test if you haven’t. Then set your zones based on your HR and also pace. Use them in conjunction. 144 seems low for you for Z2 running (just a WAG since I’m in a similar boat).

Thanks, I was just using the ole 220 minus age for max.
Quote Reply
Re: Zone training [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
When I started zone training, I wanted to hold 136 bpm which is bottom of my aerobic zone. When I started, my pace was 9:30/mile. Acouple weeks later it was 9:17. A while lster, 8:30. Now, 3-4 months later, I have to run 7:50/mile to get my heart up to that rate

So, careful what you wish for. Now when I go for a liesurly 9:30/mile run, my heart rate is like 110 bpm which is just above warm up zone.

Just stick with it and you will have to run faster to keep that HR.

Note: I'm a pretty fit runner.

Thanks, guess I’m going to have to do the grandpa shuffle...So did you extend your run periods, did you run a distance of block of time? Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotcha. We’ve all been there. I think you’ll find top of Zone 2 move up to the 155-165 hr range after a proper test. You can google the methods if you aren’t familiar with them.

But also keep in mind that there is nothing magical that happens when you go 1 BPM over your zone marker. So don’t get too caught up in it. Just go run lots and run easy. Your body doesn’t know miles, only time. So I like to run by time. When you get faster you simply run further.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The half-life for changes in heart rate in response to increases in training load is about 1 week.
Quote Reply