Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too)
Quote | Reply
Always been curious about playing a short scale (30-inch, vice 34-inch) bass guitar and was surfing around on Monday and saw this Fender Mustang (MIM, or "Made in Mexico") bass for a good price. Blam! Ordered Monday at 3:30 p.m., on my doorstep via Fedex yesterday at 5:00 p.m.

The action is nice and low and it was set up well at the factory. Going to swap out the strings for a higher quality set, though. But the frets and neck are smooth and the fingerboard is that Pau Ferro wood (sometimes called "Brazilian rosewood"), which I've never had on a guitar. Standard alder body and maple neck with that walnut (or fake walnut) skunk stripe on the back that Fender is famous for. All in all, a good bass for the price and the color is called "Torino Red. P-Bass pickups up front and a J-Bass in the back and there's a 3-position switch (neck pickup, both pickups, bridge pickup) and basic tone and volume controls. Should be easy enough to drive.

Playing a short scale bass is going to take me some getting used to, I have to say. But it'll be a pleasurable experience, I'm guessing. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good guy with a bass
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
good guy with a bass

Hahahahahahaha! That's right! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh cool, I didn’t know you were a musician.

Oh wait, you said BASS guitar.

Nevermind

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Nevermind

Hey I'm a drummer, too.

Oh, wait... ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Nevermind

I resemble that remark

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6317381#p6317381

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETA: I had a Mustang-sized bass back when I was in the band, mostly for visual effect

Because a small-ish sized person, with a full-sized instrument looks dumb as fuck on stage

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ETA: I had a Mustang-sized bass back when I was in the band, mostly for visual effect

Because a small-ish sized person, with a full-sized instrument looks dumb as fuck on stage

Exactly so! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my daughter a used Mustang a couple of Christmas' ago - finding one used that wasn't in the 'vintage' realm was surprisingly hard. Guitar Center had one(and only one) at a store 2000 miles away. Totally worth it. Lest anyone confuse short scale with a kids instrument, I think some of the best players ever have played Mustangs. I didn't find getting used to the scale a challenge but the tone is definitely 'rounder' than a P or Jazz bass, maybe not to everyone's taste? From memory, I think the pickups were a little different on the one I bought - I can't remember the vintage but more than a few years old. Anyway, my kid has put the thing to good use - she plays out regularly and her axe has spent a few weeks with her on the road. Have fun with your new acquisition...
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Another Bass Guitar On a Whim (Short Scale, Too) [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alltom1 wrote:
I bought my daughter a used Mustang a couple of Christmas' ago - finding one used that wasn't in the 'vintage' realm was surprisingly hard. Guitar Center had one(and only one) at a store 2000 miles away. Totally worth it. Lest anyone confuse short scale with a kids instrument, I think some of the best players ever have played Mustangs. I didn't find getting used to the scale a challenge but the tone is definitely 'rounder' than a P or Jazz bass, maybe not to everyone's taste? From memory, I think the pickups were a little different on the one I bought - I can't remember the vintage but more than a few years old. Anyway, my kid has put the thing to good use - she plays out regularly and her axe has spent a few weeks with her on the road. Have fun with your new acquisition...

I'm already finding I like the middle position on the selector switch (mix of P and J pickups). It does have a rounder tone, but that's probably because the string tension is less than on a 34-inch bass. I'm going to go with flat wound rather than round wound strings on it and see what kind of sound I get.

Quote Reply