Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Parenting advice- school shooting threat
Quote | Reply
So our sons school district was alerted today to some piece if shit that called into a radio program in Texas and declared he would shoot up 2 schools in Idaho on April 18th. POS was quickly identified and cited (evidently that is the extent law enforcement can go (honest question as I'm in meetings all day and can't do much research)?

Anyhow our 6 year is going to hear about it so I'm thinking we will be pro active and talk to him about school shootings tonight. Looking for any pieces of advice from those who have had that talk.

Thanks in advance for not turning this into a 2nd amendment debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At his age he probably wouldn't understand if you tried to explain the odds of it happening. I would suggest that you explain that the police, teachers and principals are all doing their best to make sure that he and his classmates are safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
So our sons school district was alerted today to some piece if shit that called into a radio program in Texas and declared he would shoot up 2 schools in Idaho on April 18th. POS was quickly identified and cited (evidently that is the extent law enforcement can go (honest question as I'm in meetings all day and can't do much research)?

Anyhow our 6 year is going to hear about it so I'm thinking we will be pro active and talk to him about school shootings tonight. Looking for any pieces of advice from those who have had that talk.

They can do a lot more. In our district we have Middle schoolers in Jail on $1 million dollar bond facing making false terrorist threats or some such thing. Its a felony with pretty stiff penalty.

6 so probably 1st grade. Well its been a long time for me. My kid was 4 when 9/11 happened. Really had no impact on her. I guess it would depend on how your kid hears about, I don't think I would say much preemptively cause there is nothing to say. (Somebody said some dumb things on the radio, but your safe --- uhm then why did you bring this up Daddy?) I don't know..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not bring this up to my 6 year old child.
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
At his age he probably wouldn't understand if you tried to explain the odds of it happening. I would suggest that you explain that the police, teachers and principals are all doing their best to make sure that he and his classmates are safe.

Thanks and the more I think about it this is what I'm thinking as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

They can do a lot more. In our district we have Middle schoolers in Jail on $1 million dollar bond facing making false terrorist threats or some such thing. Its a felony with pretty stiff penalty.

6 so probably 1st grade. Well its been a long time for me. My kid was 4 when 9/11 happened. Really had no impact on her. I guess it would depend on how your kid hears about, I don't think I would say much preemptively cause there is nothing to say. (Somebody said some dumb things on the radio, but your safe --- uhm then why did you bring this up Daddy?) I don't know..

I hear ya. Thanks man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:

Are you sitting him down and talking about his chances of winning $10 million tomorrow in a random lottery?

Asking because they're both equally as likely of happening. Hell, even the Washington Post published an article on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Are you sitting him down and talking about his chances of winning $10 million tomorrow in a random lottery?

Asking because they're both equally as likely of happening. Hell, even the Washington Post published an article on it.

A more appropriate response would be to sit him down and talk about what it means when he hears about the 10 million dollar lottery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is 6. They do "shelter in place" drills at his school. It's VERY disconcerting to hear him running around the house, playing, yelling "lockdown, lockdown, lockdown". When I asked him about it, he just said they go under their desks and they have to be quiet.

He seems unconcerned by it all, and it sounds like the teachers explain what is expected of them without really saying why. And he really doesn't care.

Unless your kid brings it up, I wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably mention that I am thankful there are good people who did their jobs and kept everyone safe if it came up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:

I would discuss it with them...we have three kids: 10, 8, and 6. All three have been in lock-down drills since kindergarten. They are aware of what they are and what they are to do if it happens. We neither downplay or play-up the threat. We simply discuss it with them and answer any questions they have. Generally speaking, I think kids are fairly resilient to these discussions. It has always been the norm for them.

A few months ago our first grader mentioned that during the lock-down drill on that day one of the kids in her class was being a smart-ass, clowning around, and not following directions. After the drill the entire class had a discussion about what would have happened had the lock-down not just been a drill. They discussed how not following directions can have some serious ramifications. Someone, somewhere probably has their hair on fire about this conversation, but I am glad it occurred. Odds of one of them being in a school shooting are pretty small, but they need to understand (and I believe they have the ability to understand) how serious these things need to be taken.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
My son is 6. They do "shelter in place" drills at his school. It's VERY disconcerting to hear him running around the house, playing, yelling "lockdown, lockdown, lockdown". When I asked him about it, he just said they go under their desks and they have to be quiet.

He seems unconcerned by it all, and it sounds like the teachers explain what is expected of them without really saying why. And he really doesn't care.

Unless your kid brings it up, I wouldn't.

Came to the same conclusion. Thanks for the feedback.

Also completely know what you mean with regards to the shelter in place drill play being a little unsettling..
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting advice- school shooting threat [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt_Stimpson wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

I would discuss it with them...we have three kids: 10, 8, and 6. All three have been in lock-down drills since kindergarten. They are aware of what they are and what they are to do if it happens. We neither downplay or play-up the threat. We simply discuss it with them and answer any questions they have. Generally speaking, I think kids are fairly resilient to these discussions. It has always been the norm for them.

A few months ago our first grader mentioned that during the lock-down drill on that day one of the kids in her class was being a smart-ass, clowning around, and not following directions. After the drill the entire class had a discussion about what would have happened had the lock-down not just been a drill. They discussed how not following directions can have some serious ramifications. Someone, somewhere probably has their hair on fire about this conversation, but I am glad it occurred. Odds of one of them being in a school shooting are pretty small, but they need to understand (and I believe they have the ability to understand) how serious these things need to be taken.

Matt

Thanks for the feedback Matt. Oped to not bring it up but will next time around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is 100 times more likely to die by car.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply