Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flex spending and Orthordontics
Quote | Reply
I had $1313.66 left in my flex spending account in 2017. My wife made a payment with our debit card for the initial down payment on the braces for my daughter. However, she did this in 1st week of 2018 so it deducted from 2018 flex spending account. Do I have any options to make it so it comes out of 2017 funds? Write a check that would come out of 2017?
Quote Reply
Re: Flex spending and Orthordontics [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I would talk to your FSA Administrator. My understanding is that you should be able to use the previous year's leftover money. Unless your plan has limitations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Braces are complicated too -- on my plan I could only recoup the prorated amount per visit. I couldn't collect the whol amount back up front even if I paid it that way.

But my plan allows us to use last year's money for the first 3 months of next year.

Like someone said, talk to HR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my plan, calendar year $ must go to fees incurred in that calendar year. However, I have until March 31st in the following year to submit payment. In your case, if your ortho can provided documentation that the payment made in early 2018 was for a service agreement with $1,500 due in 2017 with the balance due in 2018, you would be all set in my plan. We haven't had to go full blown braces yet, but our ortho has explained that they regularly adjust billing plans to accommodate this. I'm also allowed to roll a maximum of $500 over from year to year.
Quote Reply