Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Wheelset - Combo ?
Quote | Reply
This is not a ‘talk me out of buying a pair of Zipp wheels, and telling me that Zipp is a waste of money .....’ kind of thread..

Just got my now Felt IA1 frameset in black and grey - wow ! What a nice frame, with many small details :)

Can’t decide on a pair of racewheels for the bike..

808/808 with black graphics
808/super9 with black graphics
808/808 nsw with greyish graphics

808 nsw/super 9 - will the super9 be avalible with the NSW braketrack? Will it look ‘stupid’ with the ‘grey’ frontwheel and black disc? Anyone rocking this - and can post a picture?

858/858 is a little over my budget

Maybe 858/Super9 would be perfect - but again - different colors?

I know it’s all about the legs, but fake it till you make it right?

In terms of speed - on a flat 70.3 - how big is the time difference/watt saving between 808/808 - 808/super9 - 808/808 nsw and 858/858? Expecting to ride between 2.15-2.20?

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheelset - Combo ? [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
858/Super 9. End of thread.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like you are basing your decision on:
1. Your subjective tastes,
2. Your desire to own Zipps, and finally,
3. Speed.
So since they are all bloody fast wheels and meet 3, go with your first two criteria and get which ever you think is prettiest.

Personally, I have 808's and if I had a do over I would go for a 404, 900 combo. But again, each to their own. I have seen plenty to say disks are marginally faster, but in terms of feel, I would go for a disk any day.

Kent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, always disc.

For the front, whatever wheel appeals to you the most and makes you the happiest. IMO, you are splitting hairs between 808, 808 NSW, 858 NSW.

Pick the wheelset where you believe and you can say to yourself without any doubts “I have the fastest fucking bike setup in transition”.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 26, 18 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheelset - Combo ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
First off, always disc.

For the front, whatever wheel appeals to you the most and makes you the happiest. IMO, you are splitting hairs between 808, 808 NSW, 858 NSW.

Pick the wheelset where you believe and you can say to yourself without any doubts “I have the fastest fucking bike setup in transition”.

Yup always disc. I have a 808/900 combo with black decals. Wheels had white decals and grey decals before, but they looked a bit odd with mismatching colours so I changed them both to black which IMO look better :)

Last edited by: zedzded: Mar 26, 18 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808 NSW + super9 (debadged)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheelset - Combo ? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies :)

Do ‘we’ know if Zipp will make a NSW disc in the near future? I would hate to buy a super9, and be outdated in 3 months :)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one knows. Disc wheels are such low sellers that I doubt they will update the brake track to the NSW.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 404 front and back. I slap a cover on the back for races. I like the option of not having a disc in training and just take cover off.

As for the front, I think 404 is awesome. If there is over a min speed difference between a 404 and an 808, I would doubt it. But having ridden both, the control in the wind between the two is immense with the 404 being a lot more stable. And I know looks matter and it looks great.

Just another option. Good luck. You’ll love whatever you choose. As for color, you can make vinyl decals in any color you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just built up a similar frame, an FRD.
I have previously used a super9/808. Honestly the braking was fine, I think I was using swisstop black prince brake pads. So I wouldn't factor that into your decision.

For my FRD build, I ended up going with HED Jet blacks, and think I will use the Jet disc for the back (have a 9 rear wheel as well..), but I'm going with the Jet 6 front (about same depth as 404) instead of a Jet 9. Seem to read mixed opinions on whether or not a deeper front is much better, if at all. I still find it really interesting that Cam Wurf used a shallow (40mm?) front wheel at Kona, and even mentioned he did testing with it and found no benefit to using a deeper wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:
Thanks for the replies :)

Do ‘we’ know if Zipp will make a NSW disc in the near future? I would hate to buy a super9, and be outdated in 3 months :)

We have been asking this since the 808 NSW came out (October 2015). It's been 2.5 years. I feel pretty confident in saying that you won't see a super 9 NSW but that's just my belief. The mfg'ing of the NSW takes more time and costs more money. Hence why the NSW is more money than a FC wheel and why the 858 is more than an 808 NSW. Sales are already pretty low on zipp's disc wheel. There is likely very little ROI (if any at all) to making a super 9 NSW for zipp.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will go with the 858 - close my eyes when I pay...

And a Super9 disc in the back.. the 858 being a ’narrow’ wheel - would you go with 23 mm tire in the front, and 25 mm in the back? GP4000...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23 mm front and 25 mm rear is what Zipp recommends

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be based on what wheelset? 404 or 303? Cos when I see Silca (IIRC) data, 23c is better for the 404
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
23 mm front and 25 mm rear is what Zipp recommends

What tyres would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheelset - Combo ? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental GPTT or GP4000s or Turbo Cottons

Quote Reply