Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low carb dieting.
Quote | Reply
Today I start my low carb diet. This will be hard because I love bread, and cake, and my brother just made cupcakes, and christmas dinner will suck now... oh lets not forget beer and other win or spirits. So this is it for me... As of yesterday I weighed 197 lbs = 88 Kg = 14 stones = 2.085 bags of portland cement. Yes I know I could gain weight and race cly division, but I won't allow this. MY goal by the time i return from europe again in february is to weigh 180 to 185 lbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't you start this diet when the rest of the world does? Jan 1st, when you are hung over and 100000 percent committed to change?

(just kidding...good luck!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you are stopping your workouts as well. A low carb diet and an athlete are bad combos.
Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of ways to get carbs without eating bread, rice and pasta!! Fruit being one. Like Ted, I too am trying to cut out all the high glycemic carbs...breads, including my beloved muffins, rice and pasta. I will still eat low glycemic carbs to aid in my recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I believe low GI diets are one of the few quality programs available, for the first 20-60 minutes post exercise, allow yourself high GI. It's one of the few times that these rapid sugars are very beneficial, speeds replishment of glycogen. Other than that time, stay low GI.

Lehmkuhler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I assumed he was referring to a low carb diet, not a low high glycemic carb diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basically that's what i'm doing, sorry i did not specify...
And kittycat, jan. 1st is way too long for me to wait to do that.

"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huh? I'm pretty sure that is what he's talking about. No high glycemics like bread, rice, pasta. Low carb = few carbs, low glycemic, no!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Today I start my low carb diet. This will be hard because I love bread, and cake, and my brother just made cupcakes, and christmas dinner will suck now... oh lets not forget beer and other win or spirits. So this is it for me... As of yesterday I weighed 197 lbs = 88 Kg = 14 stones = 2.085 bags of portland cement. Yes I know I could gain weight and race cly division, but I won't allow this. MY goal by the time i return from europe again in february is to weigh 180 to 185 lbs.

As a useless data point, I went from 198 in Feb 2001 to 172 in Sept 2001, with breakfast and lunch each consisting primarily of an enormous bagel, usually cinnamon-raisin with butter. Presumably made entirely of bleached white flour. Gatorade on the bike, of course.

Of course, doing upwards of 800-900 miles of TT-effort level cycling per month helped quite a bit...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you realize the "low carbohydrate diet" fad is over!! You need to get the latest diet fad, whatever it is, this is 2006!! Get with the program, you don't want to be passe, besides you are probably an athlete if your on this forum and that is probably the worst diet to go on.
Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [polarbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
high glycemic carbs is what I meant.
almost everything has carbs in it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted,

I've been low glycemic indexing for about a year now, and it is great. No highs/lows throughout the day and I am rarely, if ever hungry. I seem to eat every two hours or so, and fill up quickly on all the unrefined natural foods.

I am still human though, and I ate some really good food on Thanksgiving, and plan to do the same this weekend. You can pretty much eat crisco with a spoon following a strenous workout, as long as you put some berries and other fruits in the crisco for the antioxidants and tons of water that help clean out the byproducts of excercise. Your body needs sugar to replenish glucose stores in muscle tissue and your blood stream and whatever goes in the two hours following strenuous exercise is converted directly to sugar and stored. One or two meals with your favorites following a good run or swim will not make a bit of difference. I started Thanksgiving 2004 at 208, raced at 168-172 this year and put on 2-3 pounds this off season while really relaxing my eating habits. My body is comfortable at this weight and a few high glycemic foods/meals over a long period will do nothing to damage your diet or overall weight. At least Thanksgiving didn't for me, and I was quite supprised.

You'll like eating low gi. It is hard to do if you have a family that isn't on board. My wife was a tough sell, but I think the kids have benefitted as much if not more than I from eating this way. Less sugar rushes, and corresponding crashes. They all seem to have a favorite fruit now too.

By the way, combining low with high glycemic foods nets a low/mod glycemic index. Hence, I have and never will give up my chips and salsa!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on the low carb diet fad :

http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html

Happy holidays.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who is training full-time under a pretty well know coach and she too is eating this way and is doing great and her training volume is huge. She was a HUGE carb eater and where she did say it was hard at first, as she always felt hungry, she's eating more fat, like almonds, cheese and avocado and it helps to fill her up. I should add she's also lost weight which I'm sure is a combination of both her eating change as well as her huge training volume. I've done it in the past and I too can definitely agree on the energy levels being more consistant! Overall I just feel better. To each it's own, what works for one may not work for another, so everyone has to find their own thing! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ted,

I've been low glycemic indexing for about a year now, and it is great. No highs/lows throughout the day and I am rarely, if ever hungry. I seem to eat every two hours or so, and fill up quickly on all the unrefined natural foods.
Gosh, imagine that.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHOA, i'm looking to lose alot of weight like you did over the months, however alot of it is muscle, as i am training every day and in the pool for quite some time, so my body often demands alot of intake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted,

I had to make a decision to keep the beach muscle or get faster at triathlon. I basically biked, swam, ran and ate better for 10 months with a little core work here and there to drop that weight. I know a lot of upper body muscle went with it, and I am now lifting again this offseason but very sport specific weight lifting.

I have a weight lifting background and put on weight pretty easily so I am going really light and lots of reps on everything. Interesting to see if there will be any weight gain with the light weights. I am now at a point where I don't think I can lose much more in the way of body fat, only redistribute muscle on my frame. It has taken a full 12 months to do just that. I went from someone who looked more comfortable in a free safety position on a football field to someone who doesn't look out of place in a tri-suit...that is until they see how slow I run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, just eat a little less and make the carbos quality ones like fuits and whole grains.

Re: Low carb dieting. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that SAC posting as Klehner?

What I meant was that though I try to eat every two hours or so, I often am force to go 4-6 hours between meals due to my work schedule and I still do not get the hunger pangs I used to a couple hours following a high carb high glycemic index breakfast!
Quote Reply
Re: Low carb dieting. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bah those are my intentions... we've established that in other posts :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is that SAC posting as Klehner?
No smiley.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eliminating high GI foods is a good idea, BUT some foods taken at the proper time should be OK. Also, remember some foods which taken ALONE have a high GI but taken with other foods would then be low GI. Also, note, the problem with high GI foods is the body responds with release of insulin. Now if this same food is taken while exercising, the body knows NOT TO RELEASE INSULIN.
Based on the above, following a low GI diet becomes rather tricky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted,

Read "Paleo diet for athletes" by Cordain and Friel (2005). It should help clear up exactly when and how to get your high GI foods. Plus, the best foods to eat at other times.

Cheers, Paul

------------
RD: The Tarawera Ultramarathon
http://www.taraweraultra.co.nz
------------
Quote Reply