Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting article about daycare
Quote | Reply
https://www.convivium.ca/articles/daycare-demands-diversity?_cldee=bGVucHJpbnM2NkBnbWFpbC5jb20%3d&recipientid=contact-42ff3692f1e7df118766001e0b613b64-f0c6c745b7bc4fd8869298ac06827594&esid=24184a66-862c-e811-80f8-3863bb2ec350

Have not had a chance to check the referenced articles but the gist of the article is that daycare helps kids who are from disadvantaged backgrounds because they get more stimulation than at home but kids in advantaged homes are not helped and may do more poorly because they get less than they would get at home.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://www.convivium.ca/articles/daycare-demands-diversity? Use this instead

Disadvantaged and Advantages seem odd words to describe shitty parents that don't do stuff with their little kids, and their not-shitty counterparts. We at war with personal responsibility?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Mar 23, 18 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has visited child care facilities has seen what $$$ can buy. We'd all love to give our kids the best care possible but but how many Americans can afford "quality" child care?

"I think high quality childcare is very, very beneficial, but a lot of the childcare that ends up being offered is not at the highest quality levels."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
https://www.convivium.ca/articles/daycare-demands-diversity?_cldee=bGVucHJpbnM2NkBnbWFpbC5jb20%3d&recipientid=contact-42ff3692f1e7df118766001e0b613b64-f0c6c745b7bc4fd8869298ac06827594&esid=24184a66-862c-e811-80f8-3863bb2ec350

Have not had a chance to check the referenced articles but the gist of the article is that daycare helps kids who are from disadvantaged backgrounds because they get more stimulation than at home but kids in advantaged homes are not helped and may do more poorly because they get less than they would get at home.

News flash: Kids are better off spending all their time with loving parents.

That's great, nothing I don't know. However, both partners in this union need to work or else we won't make ends meet.

So kid goes to the best day care provider we can find.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Here is my in-put from my experiences and I am excluding in-home daycare and am focusing on daycare centers. I'm also including very general assumptions.

Daycare centers have a curriculum, incorporate a pre-school program and no TV time. So I can see the stimulation disadvantaged backgrounds. At the same time, daycare centers pay their teachers crap, like just above minimum wage. So your not getting the cream of the crop for teachers. Advantaged backgrounds, probably have more educated parents, who are willing to spend time on their child's development.

I send my kids to an in-home daycare, I know they get fed crap and get TV. But, my wife reduced her hours to spend time with the kids, we send them to a dedicated pre-school a few times a week and at home they get maybe 30 minutes of TV a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I send my kids to an in-home daycare, I know they get fed crap and get TV. But, my wife reduced her hours to spend time with the kids, we send them to a dedicated pre-school a few times a week and at home they get maybe 30 minutes of TV a month.

Wow, is that broken up or do they get just one show a month?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

one show....I have a 19 month old who gets no time and a 4 year old who gets very minimal because we think she gets plenty at daycare. I think my wife let her watch 30 minutes of The Sound of Music the other day. Movie before that was this summer over the course of four days she watched Mary Poppins.

Problem is we are getting to the point where we are thinking we need her to watch some real kid movies (Frozen, Moana, etc) so she can talk about something in kindergarten.

We are real tight about it only because I think they get more than the daycare lady and my daughters say. We could be wrong, but we don't want our kids to be attached to the TV.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Mar 23, 18 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 4 year old doesn't talk about movies/tv shows he watches with the other kids. It's all poop and fart jokes in kindergarten.

At least it is for the boys. Not sure about girls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

one show....I have a 19 month old who gets no time and a 4 year old who gets very minimal because we think she gets plenty at daycare. I think my wife let her watch 30 minutes of The Sound of Music the other day. Movie before that was this summer over the course of four days she watched Mary Poppins.

Problem is we are getting to the point where we are thinking we need her to watch some real kid movies (Frozen, Moana, etc) so she can talk about something in kindergarten.

We are real tight about it only because I think they get more than the daycare lady and my daughters say. We could be wrong, but we don't want our kids to be attached to the TV.

I increased my daughter’s screen time when she came home from pre-school excited to have been the step mom when they played Cinderella having never seen the movie. There is a level of cultural relevance they can miss in a no screen time environment that starts to impact playground time. We still don’t do much- but enough that she has a better basis for playing.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange words but the guy is an economist.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is the situation most people find themselves in. A few generations ago it seemed most folks could get by with one income. Now for the vast majority they need two.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kids 2 and 4

4 year old has had day care since 3 months

2 year old has had no regular child care outside of my wife and i

we dont have tv. so we have to steam everything for them. tv shows until recently were peppa and ben and holly.

movies; frozen they like to dress up, mary poppins for the songs, the original jungle book, pets

rarely do they watch a whole movie outside of weekends

usually they prefer to make stuff and draw with paper, card and glue

tv is really limited to less than an hour per day as my eldest starts school at 8.30 and gets home at 5

we control their tablets which we have for the car

they will not ever have tv in their room

in the end, i am not sure how much long term difference it makes. in china and france kids are in school from 2-3, in finland its much later and i am not sure at 18 early exposure to good bad or indifferent education at 3 is noticeale or can be adjusted for other factors
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a Finnish kid living with us now. Perfect English and she uses English idioms etc like a native speaker. Doesn't strike me as a really smart person but very well educated. I don't know what it is but the Finns have the secret sauce in Education.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think finns punch well above their weight in many areas. not just education
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Don't worry. In 6-7 years they'll be attached to their phone and won't even watch tv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost interest half way through the article but all research points to children doing better in two parent homes when they receive quality time with their parents.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we control their tablets which we have for the car //

THEY have tablets already, you monster!!! I'm with you(minus the tablets) with my 6 year old and twins that are 3. My goal is to keep hand held screen time as low as possible, as long as possible. I know it will be out of my hands one day, but in the meantime they are all going to learn outdoor sports and the art of playing and creating in the 3d world. I see most of my 6 year old's friends have their own tablets already, but thus far he has not rebelled and made any demands. I think because he still believes that getting 5 minutes for a game on mine every couple days is still such a treat, he doesn't want to lose that privilege.

And yes, Peppa, Ben and Holly are the bomb!!!!

Unfortunately parenting is very hard and too many parents are using these distractions to get some hours of peace and quiet, then it just gets out of hand and everyone is doing it. I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I know they will all catch up at some point with whatever I'm depriving them of now. I just hope they retain just a little of what happened in the meantime, and it opens a choice or two that their peers would not recognize as having later in life..
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I basically did tag team parenting during the day. My goal for each half day was to do one thing besides take care of the kid. Like two loads of laundry would be one thing. I can't remember too well but those 30 min of Dora the Explorer really helped when needed. Losing nap time also sucked. Kids are tough but it was worth it.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article about daycare [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure how much of a losing battle it need be

In Feb we were skiing with my brother and family. His kids are glued, literally inseparable from the tablet and whilst it was a fight twice a day to seperate my eldest from them and get her to ski school and involved bribes and conjoling she went.

They skied for maybe 60-90 mins a day. She skied for 5 hours (I use the word ski loosely)

Fast forward a month and we go in March. She had lessons in the morning

We drove or skied to them. Skiing took nearly an hour because of lifts and she skiied all day every day till 4

Then she could have the tablet

Even my parents are saying. She's only 4. She needs a break.

She skied blue and red runs. She skied them well. She was constantly asking to race.

She was shattered by the end of the week. Almost refusing to ski down. Just wanted to build a snowman but in the end I would take one meltdown over a strategy of appeasing my kids constantly with tablets and TV.

I don't care if my kids go to school and are not watching whatever is on tv. My kids travel. Are outside. Have lived abroad. Speak languages. Can ski and ride a bike. Appeasing them is not my priority (though it does appear to be my inlaws)
Quote Reply