Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you split a Cat 5 line
Quote | Reply
Have a cat 5 plug in the wall for our office network. Cord ties into my computer. Can I plug a line splitter into the wall plug and have a cat 5 line to my computer and a cat 5 line to my printer. I'm trying to put the printer on the network.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you split a Cat 5 line [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using the term splitter in its truest form in meaning something that physically splits one ethernet cable? Or are you talking a hub/switch device that allows you to plug multiple devices into one connection? In theory, yes an actual splitter would work with cat5/5e (not cat6) but there are a lot of drawbacks and makes no sense in today's world where unmanaged gigabit switches are cheap as hell. Just buy a cheap switch like this: https://www.amazon.com/...281414_t2_B00QR6XFHQ

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 23, 18 4:26
Quote Reply
Re: Can you split a Cat 5 line [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would work. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you split a Cat 5 line [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. It's pretty easy in a Cat 5 group. Just move to the middle of the line and swerve around a bit to block the weaker cyclists behind, then hammer to catch up. That should drop everyone behind you.

[EDIT: I assume that it's not necessary to make this post in pink. Oh, and paging BLeP...]

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Mar 23, 18 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting you ask that as I'm working on a customer issue exactly like this. Yes, there are splitters you can buy that will make it work. Note that you will only get 10/100 speed, not gigabit. Ethernet cables have four pairs of lines. Gigabit needs all four pairs. When you use a splitter, two pairs go to the computer and two pairs to the printer, thus only 10/100 to each. But, a cheap hub or switch is a better option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he'd even get 100 Mb. Most of the crosstalk in a Cat 5 patch cable is where you straighten out the twisted pairs to connect to the plugs (what's in the wall is a jack, said the connector nerd). Splitters have an even longer section of parallel paths, so much higher crosstalk.

GMAN's suggestion of an Ethernet is a far better solution. Plus you have some extra ports hanging around for some other use.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Have a cat 5 plug in the wall for our office network. Cord ties into my computer. Can I plug a line splitter into the wall plug and have a cat 5 line to my computer and a cat 5 line to my printer. I'm trying to put the printer on the network.

1) I'm disappointed this wasn't about cycling. I was looking forward to using the cop "take this shit to the tri forum" meme. Sigh.

2) Don't bother splitting. Buy a crimper and do it yourself. Will take ~10 minutes and you'll learn something useful. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it (actually might not be anymore...the crimper kinda looks like a firearm in lowlight...)

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Can you split a Cat 5 line [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he needs to go over to liveleak then. I should see if my bow press video still exists.
Quote Reply