Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to heal a blister while continuing to train???
Quote | Reply
Hello - my apologies for the gruesome description below :)

I've got a pretty bad blister on my big toe outside edge that was popped, and the skin turned into a 'flapper', so I cut the flap off. There's now a sort of cliff wall of thick skin that drops down to thin skin that was below the blister. The cliff wall is not securely attached, and I'm worried that if exacerbated, it will continue to peel away.

Okay, end of the gross description.

I'm 6 weeks from a marathon, and I'm not fit enough to slow down my training very much. What tips, tricks, sorceries, and tactics do you all use to keep training when you have an unprotected blister like this?

I've tried covering the blister with expensive blister pads, blister prevention tape, and those seem to come off. I've taken to covering the blister with a blister pad, and then wrapping the whole toe in a bandage.

Please help!
Quote Reply
Re: How to heal a blister while continuing to train??? [gregnemes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duct tape.
Quote Reply
Re: How to heal a blister while continuing to train??? [gregnemes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with the following method. Layer of new skin. Layer of crazy glue. Mole skin or bunion pad around the blister leaving the actual blister uncovered. Place a blister pad on top.
Quote Reply
Re: How to heal a blister while continuing to train??? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duct tape.[/quote]======================
this is my useful and trusty go-to, as well.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When not running dry out the area with Desitin or other baby butt cream. This will help the area heal faster. While running use blister pad or moleskin around the blistered area (i.e. create a donut that the blister is the middle of) so the pressure of running is distributed to the tissues around the blister and not the already compromised skin.

Quote | Reply
duct tape best invention ever - you can fix anything with duct tape :)

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compeed. If it won't stay on, duct tape.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same situation I wrapped the toe tight in athletic tape... not perfect but made runs bearable. Otherwise, I switched to running barefoot laps on grass for shorter runs to give it a break from shoe rub.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How to heal a blister while continuing to train??? [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second skin
Now marketed for burns
Works great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you with keeping the dressings on while running, but I can tell you that wounds heal fastest while MOIST and sterile. When you're not running: clean with betadine, apply neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, dressings. Best of luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What caused the blister? Sounds like a shoe rub from a bunion or wide foot e.g. pinch callus. Consider the other post for the foot (I like second skin and tape or large doughnut pad, but I would spend some time looking at the shoe and potential consider a change or cutting a bunion window or relief.

It is a critical part of a shoe fit and overlays in the forefoot upper are variable and often times cause issues. A good shoe fitter will know what shoes have larger or more forgiving bunion windows or accommodate through a wider toe box.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: How to heal a blister while continuing to train??? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moist! I feel like for some reason I've been thinking it needs to be dry. But reading up more now, sounds like moist is more often recommended. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregnemes wrote:
Moist! I feel like for some reason I've been thinking it needs to be dry. But reading up more now, sounds like moist is more often recommended. Thanks!

Yes, definitely moist. This was concluded empirically around WWII but the idea of being dry seems to be more logical for some reason. Very difficult for immune cells to reach a destination in the absence of moisture. That's the primary reason that mouth wounds tend to heal quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, the best thing to do is to let the air get to it and dry it out as much as possible. It should heal in about a week - but I would personally take a week off and do an alternative type of exercise that won't wear the same spot - for example, cycling should be ok. When you do have to wear shoes, put a wound dressing over it and tape that in place.

I avoid compeed dressings and the like as they just prolong the amount of time it takes to heal.

I would also look into why you got the blister in the first place. For ultramarathons I always tape my heels and insteps and sometimes my big toe. If you frequently suffer from blisters on your toes, I would also think about investing in a pair of Injinji socks - they are absolutely brilliant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drain and clean the blister before applying any dressing.

Use Compeed or similar blister dressing. You can secure it with a layer of strapping tape. A dob or vaseline or similar on top will minimise any further friction.

If you clean the area properly before applying the dressing, you can leave this on for days while the blister heels underneath. You can shower in it, run a couple of hundred miles, whatever.

If you want to relieve all pressure on the toe while running, modify your shoes by removing the toe box. Cut across the shoe's upper just forward of the lacing, then cut along the sides to the point of the toe to remove the toe box.

Blister management is all about two things; relieving friction and pressure. Take care of those and you can run forever.
Quote Reply