Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we can get most of the way there if we give out needles?

My point is that if we can accrue most of the advantages w/o reducing the penalties, that avoids the downside of removing one of the deterrents to drug use....the fact that it's illegal.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Let me be a devil's advocate.
What's the objective? If it's fewer drug users...

Well, let's get this fixed first. =) The goals can't be limited to just the number of drug users because there are so many other members of society that are affected by drug policy -- especially if it is tragically misguided. To wit, we must consider all the people enticed into drug trafficking due to its large profit margins. We need to include the social dysfunction that gangs, mafia, and diminished governmental effectiveness exert on society. That's not to mention the added specter of living with dramatically increased violence in 3rd world countries and poverty stricken neighborhoods here in the United States as drug related crime fuels criminal violence. I think a better goal would be the well being of all the potential stake holders (people) involved.

As an aside, in the end, I'm not sure how many more addicted users you might get with one policy verus the other. Sometimes it's easier to administer incentives and disincentives in a legalized and regulated market than in a criminal market.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 19, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
don't like it. the death penalty for selling drugs? over the top. are we going to have the state execute bar tenders who's customers drink and drive and then kill themselves (or others) too?

We're so ignorant at times. Having a death penalty for selling drugs is just a political gimmick to show the dems are weak on crime. This kind of crapola goes back to Nixon and probably farther...:

"In recent days, there have been proposals to legalize the possession and the use of marijuana. I oppose the legalization of the sale, possession, or use of marijuana. The line against the use of dangerous drugs is now drawn on this side of marijuana. If we move the line to the other side and accept the use of this drug, how can we draw the line against other illegal drugs? Or will we slide into an acceptance of their use as well?"

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's going to stop drug dealers...lol God Trump is an idiot.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:

Well, let's get this fixed first. =) The goals can't be limited to just the number of drug users because there are so many other members of society that are affected by drug policy -- especially if it is tragically misguided. To wit, we must consider all the people enticed into drug trafficking due to its large profit margins. We need to include the social dysfunction that gangs, mafia, and diminished governmental effectiveness exert on society. That's not to mention the added specter of living with dramatically increased violence in 3rd world countries and poverty stricken neighborhoods here in the United States as drug related crime fuels criminal violence. I think a better goal would be the well being of all the potential stake holders (people) involved.

As an aside, in the end, I'm not sure how many more addicted users you might get with one policy verus the other. Sometimes it's easier to administer incentives and disincentives in a legalized and regulated market than in a criminal market.

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But this started out as a thread re. capital punishment for drug dealers, not a thread re. a comprehensive improvement on our policies re. illegal drug use. So when I'm talking about capital punishment for drug dealers, it's not reasonable to say "you're wrong because you're not taking in account the other dimensions of the problem".

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But this started out as a thread re. capital punishment for drug dealers, not a thread re. a comprehensive improvement on our policies re. illegal drug use.

Sure, but you also started this related subthread when you wrote, "That appeals to the libertarian in me, but how many countries have drug legalization success stories? Any? " SH had the best comprehensive answer in support of regulation/legalization. Capital punishment is merely a more flawed version of the criminalization policy which we have.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But this started out as a thread re. capital punishment for drug dealers, not a thread re. a comprehensive improvement on our policies re. illegal drug use.

Sure, but you also started this related subthread when you wrote, "That appeals to the libertarian in me, but how many countries have drug legalization success stories? Any? " SH had the best comprehensive answer in support of regulation/legalization. Capital punishment is merely a more flawed version of the criminalization policy which we have.

<shrugs shoulders>
That's fair.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
don't like it. the death penalty for selling drugs? over the top. are we going to have the state execute bar tenders who's customers drink and drive and then kill themselves (or others) too?

Here in Canada if you are having a house party you are partially liable for how your guests get home. So if you have someone over and know they are overly intoxicated, and let them drive home - you can be charged if they hurt someone.

But in the general sense, the death penalty has shown to be much more expensive than life in prison and doesn't seem to deter crimes. Also I wonder how this will fly given that blacks are proportionally over convicted and given more serious sentences when it comes to drug related crimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/...-house-idUSKBN1GU10P

I assume it would only be for dealers who were proven to have given drugs to someone who died. I wonder though, could it be applied to a Dr. who over prescribes or is shown to be negligent in some way?

For opiates apparently, but not for meth (favorite drug of the alt-right)?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:

Here in Canada if you are having a house party you are partially liable for how your guests get home. So if you have someone over and know they are overly intoxicated, and let them drive home - you can be charged if they hurt someone.

same thing here in the US. There are a lot of times someone is criminally responsible for other people crimes because of negligence or facilitation. Even in my drinking example, bar tenders who knowingly over-serve a patron can be held accountable in some states, but typically they are not executed for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
SH wrote:
Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But this started out as a thread re. capital punishment for drug dealers, not a thread re. a comprehensive improvement on our policies re. illegal drug use. So when I'm talking about capital punishment for drug dealers, it's not reasonable to say "you're wrong because you're not taking in account the other dimensions of the problem".

Oh sure, if you're going to get all technical about it.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 20, 18 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a more abstract level, it does seem bizarre to be talking about the death penalty for selling some drugs while at the same time growing legalization for other drugs state-by-state.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
on a more abstract level, it does seem bizarre to be talking about the death penalty for selling some drugs while at the same time growing legalization for other drugs state-by-state.

Also while tobacco remains legal and killing more people than all other drugs combined, by a long ways.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is capital punishment --- not capital deterrent. The offender forfeits their right to live --- and believe me -- most murderers are very protective of their own lives. The expense factor -- can go either way. A study in Texas showed that it was actually cheaper. And, it does have deterrent value -- specific to the offender. No one executed has ever committed another crime. Prisons are not be the safest places anyway and having people with no hope of ever being let out -- the lifers --- can be particularly dangerous.

That said, I the Supreme Court has already ruled that the death penalty can only be imposed when a life is taken. So, any new law targeting drug dealers would have to be narrowly tailored and even then might not withstand judicial scrutiny. Places that have announced the death penalty for drug dealing and enforce it -- do cut down on drug dealing considerably. See Indonesia and Singapore and China.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [Lagerhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The expense factor -- can go either way. A study in Texas showed that it was actually cheaper.

Please, please, please link to that study. Multiple studies of cost in every single state have shown that it is more expensive. "It can go either way" is extraordinarily misleading, even if your single study pans out.

http://tcadp.org/get-informed/texas-death-penalty-facts/
https://www.texastribune.org/2014/12/19/slow-death-death-penalty/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/05/01/considering-the-death-penalty-your-tax-dollars-at-work/#b81251c664b3
http://theconversation.com/the-death-penalty-is-getting-more-and-more-expensive-is-it-worth-it-74294
http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-more-expensive-the-death-penalty-is-2015-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
What's the objective? If it's fewer drug users, it's hard to understand how reduced penalties, via legalization, will create that. The only way to have fewer users, is to discourage people from starting the habit, and to help those with the habit to get over it. I'd certainly be inclined to fund clinics instead of prison. I noticed that the stats re. the long term success of drug rehab are all over the map, but the stats that looked more reliable show pretty low success rates. I bet prison has a much much higher success rate at getting folks off of drugs, but obviously it's an expensive route.

The article made a good point that treatment is a lot cheaper then our war on drugs.

HIV deaths. What is the link between drug decriminalized, and reduced HIV problem? If you're shooting up heroin legally and I'm doing it illegally, how does that put me at much greater risk for HIV? Makes me wonder if there isn't some other causation of the reduced HIV deaths.

The objective, like many policies, is to reduce the cost to society while increasing the benefit to individuals (or something like that). It's well known that incarceration has the most cost of all "solutions," as the effects on things like future employment, use of government benefits, etc. are really bad. It's also known that prison has little effect on drug usage *after* the prison sentence is over, without extensive treatment programs.

Legalized drug policies reduce or eliminate shared needles, thereby reducing HIV and hepatitis rates.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Also while tobacco remains legal and killing more people than all other drugs combined, by a long ways.

Actually, studies have shown that alcohol has the highest total cost to society than any other substance (tobacco, marijuana, heroin, etc.).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are we debating this? 80 gabillion times more thought was put into this thread than Trump put into his policy.

He has shown his hand over and over. He doesn't know things and doesn't want to know things. And his supporters think it is funny.

We need tariffs on Canada to fix our trade deficit. Hey there is no trade deficit with Canada, or maybe there is. He doesn't care. He is basing policy on shit he made up on the spot.

Will executing drug dealers help? He doesn't know and doesn't care. It just sounded good in the moment.

I think I have hit my tipping point. He says anything that pops into his head and doesn't care about facts. That makes it pretty pointless to debate the finer points of logic in his policies. You would be better off debating metaphysics with a potato.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Mar 20, 18 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Death penalty, the way we do it, wouldn't do any good. It's been shown, over and over again, that the way we implement the death penalty doesn't have more deterrent value then just throwing the miscreant in prison.

In order for a punishment to have deterrent value, it must be relative "sure". That is to say....if you get convicted, it happens. But the # of folks on death row that actually get their penalty carried out is pretty small. We have 15ish thousand murders per year, about 2/3rds result in a conviction, but we only execute a 3-5 dozen murderers each year.

In order for a punishment to have deterrent value it must seem "real". You want a punishment to seem real, you need to have seen it yourself or at least seen a video of it. I know that seems pretty gruesome, but that's the hard choice of weighing of "desire to avoid gruesome" vs. "desire to deter". The culture decides which is more important, and obviously we've chosen.

It's human nature to perceive one's values are pretty "absolute". So we imagine that public executions are an "absolute" bad. When in reality the idea that the "public" element of the execution is "bad" is a really new idea when judged against the last 100k yrs or so. Human nature was just the same in centuries past, as it is now. We're the same folks, just with better personal hygiene.

In Biblical times the murder rate was astronomically higher. Despite swift, brutal, and often incorrectly carried out death penalty punishments.

But now, worldwide, murder rates are significantly lower despite the decline in its usage.

People will do it anyway.

The greatest drivers of murder rates are poor education and poverty. But I love how the first thing we do is say "we're going to kill more people back for killing people" when it's proven to NOT work.

We're always more focused on a punishment than an actual solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Death Penalty for Drug Dealers [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if we execute enough people it increases the chances that one of them will become known as the next Messiah. We wouldn't have the one we if capital punishment weren't legal. /pink

burnthesheep wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
Death penalty, the way we do it, wouldn't do any good. It's been shown, over and over again, that the way we implement the death penalty doesn't have more deterrent value then just throwing the miscreant in prison.

In order for a punishment to have deterrent value, it must be relative "sure". That is to say....if you get convicted, it happens. But the # of folks on death row that actually get their penalty carried out is pretty small. We have 15ish thousand murders per year, about 2/3rds result in a conviction, but we only execute a 3-5 dozen murderers each year.

In order for a punishment to have deterrent value it must seem "real". You want a punishment to seem real, you need to have seen it yourself or at least seen a video of it. I know that seems pretty gruesome, but that's the hard choice of weighing of "desire to avoid gruesome" vs. "desire to deter". The culture decides which is more important, and obviously we've chosen.

It's human nature to perceive one's values are pretty "absolute". So we imagine that public executions are an "absolute" bad. When in reality the idea that the "public" element of the execution is "bad" is a really new idea when judged against the last 100k yrs or so. Human nature was just the same in centuries past, as it is now. We're the same folks, just with better personal hygiene.

In Biblical times the murder rate was astronomically higher. Despite swift, brutal, and often incorrectly carried out death penalty punishments.

But now, worldwide, murder rates are significantly lower despite the decline in its usage.

People will do it anyway.

The greatest drivers of murder rates are poor education and poverty. But I love how the first thing we do is say "we're going to kill more people back for killing people" when it's proven to NOT work.

We're always more focused on a punishment than an actual solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next