Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt or Quintana roo - final countdown
Quote | Reply
I will be buing a dedicated tri bike within the next hours. Alternatives are

Felt S32 - 105 (cheap, no aero seatpost, no aero downtube, Front D Tiagra - would have to be updated) - about 1400 complete bike

Felt S22 - DA/Ultegra mix (great bike, aero, maybe a bit uncomfortable?) - about 2200 complete bike

Quintana Roo Caliente - Ultegra (what value are those carbon seat stays really?) - about 2200 complete but without wheels, saddle, tyres

I will use the bike exclusively for Triathlon, my focus is Ironman. As I have 4spokes and training wheels as well as saddle already, the stuff on the complete bikes would be sold (about 200 EUR to be deducted from S22 and S32). Geometrie is very similar, I will buy either the Felt 54 or the QR 55 in the 700c Version (many hills around here). For training, road racing and draft legal I will continue to use my trek aluminium road bike which - although only 105/tiagra brakes equiped - works flawlessly.

For what I really need (see Caliente) that would put the price at aproximately:

Caliente: 2300 EUR (have to buy tyres and tubes)

S22: 2000 EUR (would sell wheels and saddle)

S32: 1200 EUR (would sell wheels and saddle)

My feeling would be that the QR is most comfortable, S22 ist most aero and S32 beside having the nicest colour would be the best value for money.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt or Quintana roo - final countdown [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only advice I have for you is go with the bike that fits you best. If you buy the S32, my feeling is you will be upgrading again. Don't buy the bike just because of the value or price. The S22 frame seems to be a nicer frame than the budget-minded S32. Seat tube looks a little more aero. From what I can tell, S22 is same frameset as B2. Obviously better component package on S22. Felt has a good name but I am personally partial to QR. I ride a Tiphoon and have test ridden a Caliente. They share the same geometry. Caliente would've worked very well for me. Great fit, comfortable, priced right but I got such an unbelievable deal on the Tiphoon that I went for it instead. I don't regret the decision one bit at all. I like the fact that it is a little less steep in terms of seat angle (76.5 degrees). This seems to work better for me than the much steeper 78 degrees. The Felt S22, I believe is 76 degrees which would probably work well for me also. You say that you have race wheels already therefore would sell the stock wheels. I think that is a big mistake. You don't want to train on your race wheels on a regular basis. They are called race wheels for a reason. I like the Mavic Ksyrium Elite although on my spare bike (2000 QR Tequilo) I ride Alex 320 Tri which are same wheelset found on Felt S22. They are bladed spokes and have been a very good all-around wheel which have not given me any problems. Tough decision you are about to undertake but bottom-line is what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. GO FOR THE BIKE THAT FITS YOU BEST! Good luck and let us know which bike you chose.

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Felt or Quintana roo - final countdown [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant know 100% which bike fits me best - as both frames have to be ordered around here. But in 700c the geometry is very similar, bot at about 76 degrees, the QR slightly steeper, but I plan to slightly shorten the top tube of the S22 by moving the saddle in front anyway.

About the wheels: I currently have 36spokes and Ksyriums for my road bike and recently bought Xentis (an Austrian made 4 spoke - tested by the RAAM winners from Austria - I know them personally - they say they are fantastic - as aero as the hed but stiffer). I think that 3 wheelsets for 2 bikes (1 for magnetic trainers and individual riding, one for group riding and road races, one for tris) is absolutely sufficient, so I will sell them.

The main problem now seems to be availability, my dealer is not sure, that any S22 or S32 will find theyre way to our small country anyway ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Felt or Quintana roo - final countdown [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vienna/Austria

But I will train in Sarasota/Florida in February and if its impossible to get my bike from my LBS I will try to get it there. Cheaper anyway ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adal,

There is a John Cobb's Bicycle Sports that just opened in St. Petersburg, Florida which is just 45 minutes North of Sarasota that is a Felt dealer.

I noticed on the forum at www.bicyclesports.com there is information on their new store there. So you might e-mail or call them, I'm sure they would help you out when you get to Sarasota.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also an LBS in Sarasota, one block from Sarasota Memorial Hospital, called BikesNJava. They sell QR, Felt, Litespeed, and Cannondale. Should give you a good selection. If you'd like the phone number there, let me know and I'll get it for you.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Felt or Quintana roo - final countdown [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great ... the only thing is, that I go there with the manager of my LBS - don't think he will be too amused ... well, he understands :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think he would undertand if he can't provide the product you desire. Their number is 941-366-7702. Weather has been beautiful here by the way. You'll get some good, warm, quality training in. Just beware of the little old ladies who can hardly see over the dashboard. Gotta always be on the defensive down here. Enjoy your stay and good luck with your bike purchase decision.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply