Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Humankind: Always Trying for Immortality
Quote | Reply
"A US startup is promising to upload customers’ brains to the cloud using a pioneering technique it has trialled on rabbits.

The only catch, according to the company’s cofounder? The process is “100% fatal”.

Nectome, founded in 2016 by a pair of MIT AI researchers, hopes to offer a commercial application of a novel process for preserving brains, called “aldehyde-stabilised cryopreservation”. The process, which results in the brain being “vitrifixed” – the startup’s self-named term for essentially turning it into glass – is promising enough that it has won two prizes from the Brain Preservation Foundation, for preserving a rabbit’s brain in 2016 and a pig’s brain in 2018.

Influential startup accelerator Y Combinator has taken Nectome in, with the organisation’s chief executive, Sam Altman, becoming one of the 25 people to pay a $10,000 deposit to join its waiting list. “I assume my brain will be uploaded to the cloud,” Altman told MIT Technology Review."

So who's on board? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Humankind: Always Trying for Immortality [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the company doesn’t have any actual method for reviving or uploading the brains it stores."

I think a bucket of formaldehyde would achieve pretty much the same thing...and cost about $9,990 less.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as I continue transfusing the blood of young, healthy studs into me, I'll live forever and will have no need to upload my brain to the cloud. It will be the cloud!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Humankind: Always Trying for Immortality [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:

The Bard had it right: First, let's kill all the lawyers. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Humankind: Always Trying for Immortality [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a bucket of formaldehyde would achieve pretty much the same thing...
---

That would be a horrible idea, with the cancer risk and all. Might I suggest you use phenoxyethanol instead?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Humankind: Always Trying for Immortality [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I think a bucket of formaldehyde would achieve pretty much the same thing...
---

That would be a horrible idea, with the cancer risk and all. Might I suggest you use phenoxyethanol instead?

Can someone explain vitrixification? It sounds painful. ;-)

Quote Reply