Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Judge Judy think that this sentence will be overturned?

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2017/12/21/bobby-bostic-sentenced-as-a-teen-to-241-years-appeals-to-us-supreme-court
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Does Judge Judy think that this sentence will be overturned?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is Judge Judy trying to say? I can't understand!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Well, a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 outlawed life terms for minors convicted of murder. Given that this didn't involve murder and the adult co-defendent was sentenced to 30 years, it seems that 241 is a bit out of line (as in "unconstitutional").

Co-defendant plead guilty. Judge (an African-American woman) begged Bostic to plead guilty. Instead, he acted out during the entire trial. He blamed the victims. He took no responsibility and showed no remorse. He showed no signs he was capable of reforming. As a result, he was found guilty of 18 separate counts and was sentenced for each of them.

He chose to put the prosecution to their proof. The right to do so is pretty foundational to the rule of law. If that, and other matters, indicated a lack of contrition then, sure, he might expect a slightly higher sentence (although 30 years is pretty savage as a starting point).

What happened here is that she added more than 2 centuries to his sentence, to guarantee that he die in jail.

We're all used to the "lock em up and throw away the key" bleatings from far-right talk-back radio (though not usually addressed at children) but I am astonished that anyone with any legal training would adopt your position.

As a side wager, I'll bet that the SC agrees to take an appeal, and overrules as unconstitutional. I don't think they'll be overly taxed to see through the "It's not a life sentence, he could get parole when he's 112" argument.
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
*It seems that Bostic's (adult) partner in crime perpetrated the worst of the offences, including doing a Trump on a female victim.

technically trump only spoke about grabbing them. clinton did grab them, and more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your stake in this? Seriously
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:

*It seems that Bostic's (adult) partner in crime perpetrated the worst of the offences, including doing a Trump on a female victim.

technically trump only spoke about grabbing them. clinton did grab them, and more.

Huh?

Here's a list of allegations about Clinton: http://www.businessinsider.com/...-11#leslie-millwee-4

Here's a list of allegations about Trump: http://time.com/...nald-trump-accusers/

You're free to judge the credibility of the women as you want, but saying that Trump only "spoke" about it while claiming as fact that Clinton "did grab them" is a pretty extreme viewpoint given the available evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
JSA wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Well, a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 outlawed life terms for minors convicted of murder. Given that this didn't involve murder and the adult co-defendent was sentenced to 30 years, it seems that 241 is a bit out of line (as in "unconstitutional").

Co-defendant plead guilty. Judge (an African-American woman) begged Bostic to plead guilty. Instead, he acted out during the entire trial. He blamed the victims. He took no responsibility and showed no remorse. He showed no signs he was capable of reforming. As a result, he was found guilty of 18 separate counts and was sentenced for each of them.

He chose to put the prosecution to their proof. The right to do so is pretty foundational to the rule of law. If that, and other matters, indicated a lack of contrition then, sure, he might expect a slightly higher sentence (although 30 years is pretty savage as a starting point).

You bet. They had him dead to rights. There was no defense. None. There were multiple witnesses, surveillance cameras, gunpowder marks on his hands, and a confession by his co-defendant. He was given a gift. He chose to flip it the bird. That's his "right." Doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

Bone Idol wrote:
What happened here is that she added more than 2 centuries to his sentence, to guarantee that he die in jail.
What happened is she sentenced him to each of the 18 counts for which he was found guilty. Perfect within her purview.

Bone Idol wrote:
We're all used to the "lock em up and throw away the key" bleatings from far-right talk-back radio (though not usually addressed at children) but I am astonished that anyone with any legal training would adopt your position.
I'm a former prosecutor. This guy tried to end the life of individuals who were doing charity work, after they had given up their wallets. What on earth would expect from me, to defend him? If I were the prosecutor, I would not have asked for 241 years. If I were the judge, I would not have sentenced him to 241 years. But, the law allows it and I am not going to second guess this judge, even if she wants to second guess herself.

I'm also not going to sit idly by while guys like cerveloguy claim racism when the judge in this case was African-American and was the first black woman to serve on the bench in this circuit. I'm certain he posted this story believing this was some old, white, male, racist judge from Missouri. That's not the case. This sentence was handed out by a well-respected judge with a solid career who just happened to be a black female.

Bone Idol wrote:
As a side wager, I'll bet that the SC agrees to take an appeal, and overrules as unconstitutional. I don't think they'll be overly taxed to see through the "It's not a life sentence, he could get parole when he's 112" argument.

Because of the publicity this case is getting, that very well may happen. If it does, the law will work. It is doesn't, the law will work.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(SCOTUS overturn)

Because of the publicity this case is getting, that very well may happen.

Yes, but it is more likely the Court of Appeals will overturn and SCOTUS will let their ruling stand.

BTW, I would respect the judge's re-evaluation of her ruling. It's not a matter of second-guessing, it's hindsight. Folks should use it more often. This item is newsworthy only because it is so egregious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

"Plead"?? Are you resorting to ebonics??

Fix that shit!
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet we've been told by the media, that when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, we should obey the wishes of these wise, judicious 16 year olds.
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
Yet we've been told by the media, that when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, we should obey the wishes of these wise, judicious 16 year olds.

i'm pretty sympathetic to JSA's reasoning here. i'm also pretty sympathetic to the parkland students' viewpoints. (david hogg is, as i recall, the son of an FBI man, guns in the home, in favor of preserving the 2nd amendment.) in the end, when it comes time to vote, the choice is almost always binary. in the goodwill discussion leading up to the vote the ideas, opinions, negotiations, are legion. i wonder why we so often get this backwards. carry on...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
JSA wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

You bet. They had him dead to rights. There was no defense. None. There were multiple witnesses, surveillance cameras, gunpowder marks on his hands, and a confession by his co-defendant. He was given a gift. He chose to flip it the bird. That's his "right." Doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

Bone Idol wrote:

What happened is she sentenced him to each of the 18 counts for which he was found guilty. Perfect within her purview.

Bone Idol wrote:

I'm a former prosecutor. This guy tried to end the life of individuals who were doing charity work, after they had given up their wallets. What on earth would expect from me, to defend him? If I were the prosecutor, I would not have asked for 241 years. If I were the judge, I would not have sentenced him to 241 years. But, the law allows it and I am not going to second guess this judge, even if she wants to second guess herself.

I'm also not going to sit idly by while guys like cerveloguy claim racism when the judge in this case was African-American and was the first black woman to serve on the bench in this circuit. I'm certain he posted this story believing this was some old, white, male, racist judge from Missouri. That's not the case. This sentence was handed out by a well-respected judge with a solid career who just happened to be a black female.

Bone Idol wrote:

Because of the publicity this case is getting, that very well may happen. If it does, the law will work. It is doesn't, the law will work.

OK, my bad and I own it for not having all the facts, but it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to make.

http://abcnews.go.com/...dy/story?id=51203491
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

I don't you make a strong case for the fact that the teenage brain is still developing and this kid was clearly not thinking straight, and his mental capacity should have been brought into consideration.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:

I don't you make a strong case for the fact that the teenage brain is still developing and this kid was clearly not thinking straight, and his mental capacity should have been brought into consideration.

That goes towards sentencing, not guilt. That’s a bargaining chip for a plea deal. Isn’t going to help you if you go to trial on 18 counts. One or two, maybe. But not 18 separate counts.

His attorney cannot force him to take a deal, but he tried with the assistance of the judge.

Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
OK, my bad and I own it for not having all the facts, but it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to make.

http://abcnews.go.com/...dy/story?id=51203491
Not to get OT but my understanding was that controlling for money -- i.e. using a public defender vs a hired attorney -- is a huge factor in sentencing, and that wasn't controlled for in this study.

https://journalistsresource.org/...egal-respresentation

Simple fact is the economic disadvantage of many black people, especially those most likely to be in trouble with the law, needs to be part of the equation.

This 241-year sentence is ridiculous and I think on appeal it makes sense to overturn, but it does look like Bostic made his own bed on this one. I do think it's 100% appropriate to look at this through the lens of hindsight and say it's unethical to sentencing a kid to almost 100 years before even seeing a parole hearing, and on charges that didn't involve murder to boot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
"Yeah, he's quite the "victim."

Never said he's a saint but 241 yrs at age 16? Compare that to other criminals and their sentences. And nobody was actually killed. But it is Missouri and the first thing that enters the mind is if he was a white 16 yr old do you think the sentence would have been so harsh? You tell me. You're the lawyer.

You realize the judge who imposed the sentence is African-American, right? In fact, she was the first black woman appointed to the Circuit Court. So, she must be a racist ...

You REALLY need to check your facts before you spout some of this shit.

So it would be impossible that an African American judge would intentionally take a harsh punishment approach on a AA defendent in a high profile case to improve their career prospects? Racism isn't as simple as the judge was black the defendent was black and therefore race had nothing to do with it. It totally ignores all the externalities that lead to implicit racism.

Who is more likely to be selected (and capable of being confirmed if necessary) to a Federal bench position?

A "liberal" "soft on crime" African American judge or a "conservative" "send them to pound-me-in-the-ass prison" African American judge?

The black conservative is a much easier compromise, the right can accept them (heck I think the right must love Clarence Thomas) and the left basically can't oppose them without being labelled as racists. I can't believe than any judge these days who ultimately wants to end up on a high court doesn't think about the career consequences of every decision they make and how it could be used for or against them later.

You would be wise to follow your own council;)
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So it would be impossible that an African American judge would intentionally take a harsh punishment approach on a AA defendent in a high profile case to improve their career prospects? Racism isn't as simple as the judge was black the defendent was black and therefore race had nothing to do with it. It totally ignores all the externalities that lead to implicit racism.

Careerism and racism aren't the same thing.

Quote:
You would be wise to follow your own council;)

Where to? Is his council traveling to Panera for lunch or something?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another 16 year old, doing your typical 16 year old hijinks, like beating his friend to death with a baseball bat.

Do you think they should try him as an adult or is his brain not developed enough for that?

A 16-year-old Florida boy is suspected of beating his friend to death with a baseball bat, authorities said, alleging that the teen was jealous of his friend's relationship with a girl.
Police say the suspect persuaded friend Giovanni Diaz, 15, to go into a wooded area Monday afternoon, where the teen "viciously beat and killed Giovanni with a baseball bat," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said at a news conference Monday. He hit Giovanni at least nine times, Judd added.
. . .
Police say the suspect told someone several days ago, "I wonder what it's like to murder someone," Judd said today.
. . .
The alleged victim "has absolutely no previous run-ins with the law," Judd said, but the suspect was charged two years ago with two counts of battery for allegedly battering two people, including Giovanni.
The suspect also was charged with domestic battery last year for allegedly battering his father, Judd said.
The suspect has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of possession of marijuana. Police are requesting that he be tried as an adult; the State Attorney’s Office will make that decision at a later time, Judd said.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
WTF? C'mon Missouri. Show me.
http://abcnews.go.com/...nce-16-year-53796817

Why don't you offer to take him into your household and split punishment for any crimes he commits?

I like that idea.

Edit: what I mean is that I like that you're proposing that an apologist offer the kid room in their house and to be jointly criminally responsible for any crimes the kid might commit.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 20, 18 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Never said he's a saint but 241 yrs at age 16? Compare that to other criminals and their sentences. And nobody was actually killed. But it is Missouri and the first thing that enters the mind is if he was a white 16 yr old do you think the sentence would have been so harsh? You tell me. You're the lawyer.

I would hope the white kid would get the same punishment.
Quote Reply
Re: 241 yrs in prison for a 16 yr old. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Never said he's a saint but 241 yrs at age 16? Compare that to other criminals and their sentences. And nobody was actually killed. But it is Missouri and the first thing that enters the mind is if he was a white 16 yr old do you think the sentence would have been so harsh? You tell me. You're the lawyer.[/quote]

You realize the judge who imposed the sentence is African-American, right? In fact, she was the first black woman appointed to the Circuit Court. So, she must be a racist ...

You REALLY need to check your facts before you spout some of this shit.[/quote]

Who is more likely to be selected (and capable of being confirmed if necessary) to a Federal bench position?

A "liberal" "soft on crime" African American judge or a "conservative" "send them to pound-me-in-the-ass prison" African American judge?

The black conservative is a much easier compromise, the right can accept them (heck I think the right must love Clarence Thomas) and the left basically can't oppose them without being labelled as racists. I can't believe than any judge these days who ultimately wants to end up on a high court doesn't think about the career consequences of every decision they make and how it could be used for or against them later.

You would be wise to follow your own council;)[/quote]
The person most likely to get nominated and approved as a federal district court or circuit court judge is a person known to the senators of the state and who belongs to the political party of the POTUS. This is tempered by whether or not the seat was previously occupied by a republican or democrat. This judge is not at all concerned about how "tough on crime" she is perceived to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Here's another 16 year old, doing your typical 16 year old hijinks, like beating his friend to death with a baseball bat.

Do you think they should try him as an adult or is his brain not developed enough for that?

A 16-year-old Florida boy is suspected of beating his friend to death with a baseball bat, authorities said, alleging that the teen was jealous of his friend's relationship with a girl.
Police say the suspect persuaded friend Giovanni Diaz, 15, to go into a wooded area Monday afternoon, where the teen "viciously beat and killed Giovanni with a baseball bat," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said at a news conference Monday. He hit Giovanni at least nine times, Judd added.
. . .
Police say the suspect told someone several days ago, "I wonder what it's like to murder someone," Judd said today.
. . .
The alleged victim "has absolutely no previous run-ins with the law," Judd said, but the suspect was charged two years ago with two counts of battery for allegedly battering two people, including Giovanni.
The suspect also was charged with domestic battery last year for allegedly battering his father, Judd said.
The suspect has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of possession of marijuana. Police are requesting that he be tried as an adult; the State Attorney’s Office will make that decision at a later time, Judd said.

Why are you asking me? I'm not a a lawyer nor an American. I just thought 241 yrs was a bit excessive in relation to "normal" sentencing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

. . .
. . .

Why are you asking me? I'm not a a lawyer nor an American. I just thought 241 yrs was a bit excessive in relation to "normal" sentencing.

Never stopped you before ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

. . .
. . .

Never stopped you before ...

PPPFFFFTTTTTT, :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next