Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone tall people with raised kitchen countertops?
Quote | Reply
I’m redoing a kitchen and considering raising the countertops to 37.5 from the standard 36. Apparently the 36 standard has been around forever and was designed for the average 5’6†person. I’m 6’5†for context. Resale killer? Anyone already do this and if so how high?

Thx!

---------------------------
When I die, I'd like to go peacefully. In my sleep. Like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tall people with raised kitchen countertops? [graveling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had them in my first house, kitchen and master bath, can't recall but at least 1.5" higher than what I have now. I'm 5'8" and miss them! Absolutely no problem selling but that could also be because I had a large, level lot and beautiful ranch in a division of two stories. I never heard it mentioned at all. Wish I could raise them in the current house without having to redo all the cabinets, really stunk having to get used to standard height. Far as I am concerned everything is too short these days. Counters, brooms, etc. The general population is taller. Go for it!

What would be too high is my back counter in my workspace on the job. Usual desk then had an extra counter raised to 42. Fabulous height for standing doing paperwork but would be too high for food prep imo.
Last edited by: madonebug: Mar 14, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tall people with raised kitchen countertops? [graveling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We built ours 2" above standard. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'11". Absolutely love them. No idea on resale since we still love here but I honestly don't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends. How tall is your spouse (assuming you have one)? If it were me I'd leave it standard as my wife is short (barely over 5' or so she says....I think she might be a slight tick under). I'm "average" male height at a tick over 5'9" (in the morning before I shrink ever so slightly at the end of the day).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Residential counters are too damn low!

ADA says you've got to be at 29-36". Mass AAB says between 29 and 34". If you go into public housing or a dorm, sinks are lower than your countertop.

Transaction counters are done at 42". Too tall to be comfortable for most.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tall people with raised kitchen countertops? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is 5'8". We got the idea from a vacation rental last year so 1.5 or 2" higher would not be a problem.

One other question for those who had it done.

It looks like you either raise the whole cabinet or add plywood to the tops of cabinets which basically raises just the counter top. I'm guessing the lip of the counter top is then built to cover the extra space. Which way did you go?

We have been looking at IKEA cabinets. From what I can tell, the cabinets have adjustable legs up to 5". The cabinets are 30" high which still puts me at approx 36" with a one inch top.

Thanks!

---------------------------
When I die, I'd like to go peacefully. In my sleep. Like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are 39†which was a conscious choice. I like them, but my gf (met post construction) not so muchsince she is 5’1â€- she uses a step stool for chopping, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend had a bathroom sink that went up to the middle of my thigh. I'm 6'0" tall and not Shaq or anything so the sink was super low. Most sinks are pelvis level for me. My friend is either my height or 6'1" and when I pointed it out he had not even noticed it. He had lived there for a year. I fancy myself more observant than most but how did he not notice that?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add height at the base as it keeps the proportional look of the cabinets the same as shorter ones. Won't hurt the resale value as some folks won't even notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are both pretty tall. When we remodeled our kitchen we went with 42" counter top height. It's been a real back saver!

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply