Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I've read that there's a number of states with laws that allow law enforcement to take someone's weapons w/o due process. Look up GVRO.

Why should this be a federal matter? Let the states come up with the solution the voters in that state want.

I think the answer is sort of self-explanatory. GVROs are great, but Florida doesn't have them. If the "solution the voters in that state want" is no GVROs, then we're right back where we started - the police have no legal way to take his guns from him. If it's a states-rights issue then I guess the question is, does someone in Kentucky have any obligation to try to prevent murders in Florida, or does he just shrug and say it's none of my business because that's the way Florida voted.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suspension is a bit harsh, but the article didn't say anything about the commons being a defacto pro-gun rally, so I don't know why he felt going where he was supposed to go constituted taking a political stance. Two activities were sanctioned, apparently, and he didn't comply with direction to go to one place or the other.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
I've read that there's a number of states with laws that allow law enforcement to take someone's weapons w/o due process. Look up GVRO.

Why should this be a federal matter? Let the states come up with the solution the voters in that state want.

I think the answer is sort of self-explanatory. GVROs are great, but Florida doesn't have them. If the "solution the voters in that state want" is no GVROs, then we're right back where we started - the police have no legal way to take his guns from him. If it's a states-rights issue then I guess the question is, does someone in Kentucky have any obligation to try to prevent murders in Florida, or does he just shrug and say it's none of my business because that's the way Florida voted.

I'm not suggesting that it's a states' rights issue. I'm saying that the feds shouldn't be the solution of last resort. Let the locals fix the issues they feel strongly about.

If the voters in a state don't want a GVRO, how can it be ok for a neighboring state to shove it down their throats? Freedom means the right for the other guy to disagree with you. It means the right for the neighboring state to support (perceived by you) dumb ideas. Sure, you're certain that you're correct, but the guy in the neighboring state is certain he's correct too.

So not about states right, it's about people rights. Also, if we want a law and it doesn't seem likely to pass at the federal level, pass it at the state level. We've gotten so obsessed with fixing things at the federal level, that if a law doesn't succeed there, we cry and whine and give up.

Finally, if the feds are the solution of first resort and you use them as your tool to push your law down the throat of your neighbor in the next state, next year that neighbor is going to use that same tool to push an unwelcome law down your throat.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Mar 16, 18 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t matter if the commons was a de facto pro gun. Perception of a bunch of high school kids rallying against guns would see it is as that.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
It doesn’t matter if the commons was a de facto pro gun. Perception of a bunch of high school kids rallying against guns would see it is as that.

Yes but we can all agree that the rights of the anti gun marchers Trump the rights of all other students.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Suspension is a bit harsh, but the article didn't say anything about the commons being a defacto pro-gun rally, so I don't know why he felt going where he was supposed to go constituted taking a political stance. Two activities were sanctioned, apparently, and he didn't comply with direction to go to one place or the other.

Google the kid's name and you will find other articles, a few of which say the "pro-gun crowd" was in the commons.

But, you ignored the more pressing point - where the fuck was the teacher who was paid to be in the classroom for that period?

Even more pressing - why the was this kid denied a day of education for which his parents (and other taxpayers) paid?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even more pressing - why the was this kid denied a day of education for which his parents (and other taxpayers) paid? //

I wouldn't say anyone was denied a day of education, in fact quite the opposite. Being able to participate or not, in demonstrations should be a requirement of civics lessons. I would say the kids have learned more in this one day about real life politics/civics than a whole semester in civics( do they even have that anymore in high school?) And it is not just about whatever you think they walked out for, I'm sure it runs the gamut from just getting out of class, to a tribute to the fallen students, to gun control, and everything in-between and on both ends.

Point being that the very American institution of protests/walkouts is a good thing for kids to learn in a general sense...

Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear what you're saying. You're saying let the majority of voters in a town/city/state decide what they want. I get that.

What I'm saying is that there are situations where the national conscience says, "That's not okay." If the majority of voters in Alabama say blacks shouldn't be allowed to own property, we as a nation would step in and say that's not acceptable. If the majority of voters in a state allow teenage girls to be married to their 30-something rapists, we as a nation have to ask if this is just a "local issue" or if it's not part of how we want to be defined as a nation. I'm saying that maybe allowing clearly disturbed individuals have ready access to particularly lethal weaponry might also qualify as something we as a nation might want to ask ourselves if this is okay as long as the local voters say it is.

A state has its own jurisdictions, but it's also part of a whole. Its actions are not limited to its borders. It's part of a nation, and the nation has an vested interest in the behavior of all its states and citizens. I'm just saying the opinions of out-of-staters are not irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Google the kid's name and you will find other articles, a few of which say the "pro-gun crowd" was in the commons.

That's a reasonable assumption, given that they were choosing not to protest. But that doesn't mean he had to add his voice to the crowd, and the actual protest was going on outside; he chose not to attend, so he was obligated to go to the designated area for students not joining the protest. Right? So what if some of the students there were anti-protest.

Quote:
But, you ignored the more pressing point - where the fuck was the teacher who was paid to be in the classroom for that period?

I didn't ignore it, as I thought it should be pretty clear: some teachers went out to supervise the kids who were protesting, while others joined the remainder in the commons. If they designated one of two areas for occupancy during that time period, why would a teacher remain in the classroom?

Quote:
Even more pressing - why the was this kid denied a day of education for which his parents (and other taxpayers) paid?

I think Monty addressed that well enough.

Last edited by: sphere: Mar 16, 18 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Even more pressing - why the was this kid denied a day of education for which his parents (and other taxpayers) paid? //

I wouldn't say anyone was denied a day of education, in fact quite the opposite. Being able to participate or not, in demonstrations should be a requirement of civics lessons. I would say the kids have learned more in this one day about real life politics/civics than a whole semester in civics( do they even have that anymore in high school?) And it is not just about whatever you think they walked out for, I'm sure it runs the gamut from just getting out of class, to a tribute to the fallen students, to gun control, and everything in-between and on both ends.

Point being that the very American institution of protests/walkouts is a good thing for kids to learn in a general sense...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Quote:

I think Monty addressed that well enough.

I think my response to monty addressed it even better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong jersey.

Quote Reply

Prev Next