Login required to post replies

Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note
Quote | Reply
Big ups to my Canadian folk!

https://www.google.ch/...cbc.ca/amp/1.4567290

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Last edited by: rob2681: Mar 9, 18 2:12
Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our Rosa Parks, 9 years before Rosa Parks ever sat on that bus.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool, I hadn't heard her story before. Is she as well known in Canada as Parks is down here, or there for that matter?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, no, she isn't, but that's changing. I hadn't heard of her until I moved to Nova Scotia, because they do make a bit of a fuss over her in this province, but when I lived in Ontario I had never heard of her story because it wasn't taught in the high school I went to.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
That's pretty cool, I hadn't heard her story before. Is she as well known in Canada as Parks is down here, or there for that matter?

I had never heard of her prior to the ten dollar bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Nope.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only place I have heard of her until a week ago was the CBC.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I had never heard of her prior to the ten dollar bill.

Does that make you a bigger racist or sexist?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Viola Desmond - Black Woman On the Candian $10 Note [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, I learned something new today. I appreciate you bringing this up.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being an unapologetic, unashamed liberal, I love these kinds of stories.

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

First time I've ever heard of her and I've taught Canadian history. That might have changed recently, but other than the Underground Railroad, the curriculum doesn't say much about blacks. More focus on Native Americans, Jews (Holocaust), the Chinese during the construction of the Trans Canada railroad, the Japanese during WWII, and perhaps Sikhs and other immigrants in the 1980s.
Quote Reply