Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Foil Tire Clearance
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a long shot, but has anyone had experience running 28mm tires on the newer (post 2016) Scott Foil? I'm curious about using a 28mm rear tire with my zipp 303s and have seen their marketing says it's possible. But, it seems that popular opinion may be to the contrary.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil Tire Clearance [woodnat1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have experience with this but I do have a question about your Foil. I just recently bought one and built it up and paired it with some Firecrest 202's. The rear brake is a Dura-Ace direct mount brake and when I put carbon pads in the brakes, the calipers don't open wide enough for the rim. At it's widest, the brake slightly rubs on both sides. What rear brake do you use so there aren't any clearance problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run 28mm tires on my Gen 1 Scott Foil, but this guy ran 28mm tires and did pretty well with it on the Gen 2 Foil.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil Tire Clearance [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a cane creek ee brake. Works fine with my 303s. But, if you already have DA a far cheaper option is to just grind down or install slightly used brake pads. If it’s anything like my TT bike, the couple mil difference is all I need.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil Tire Clearance [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
I used to run 28mm tires on my Gen 1 Scott Foil, but this guy ran 28mm tires and did pretty well with it on the Gen 2 Foil.

Fair point. I’ve never run tubular tires, but thought there may be enough shape difference that 28mm clinchers wouldn’t work. Just overthinking things I’m sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woodnat1 wrote:
vjohn wrote:

Fair point. I’ve never run tubular tires, but thought there may be enough shape difference that 28mm clinchers wouldn’t work. Just overthinking things I’m sure.

28mm is 28mm, if your tires are marked "28c", then you probably want to measure them on the rims you plan to use (internal rim width matters) and see how big they really are. I've seen discrepancies of 2-3mm both directions in published tire size vs. measured reality. You can buy a small caliper suitable for measuring tires for cheap at any hardware store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am checking for you right now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars tend to run to size as they are stitched closed around that size, ALL the clincher tyres I have used in the past 3-4 years run 1.75 - 3mm wider than their stated size once mounted

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130878

for a nice diagram

Thats why some people see pro bike specs, see the size of their tyres and then assume happy days for their tyres, not realising there is a difference between sizing on tubulars and clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just fit my cx (disc) wheels into the 2017 Scott Foil. 28mm Tubeless road tires installed on this set of Ardennes plus. No issues. I took some pics if you want to see the clearance.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi VJohn,

Many thanks for posting this link. Just signed up for the Paris Roubaix and will be doing it on my 2016 F Scott Foil.
28mm tyres are a must I think!

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the Scott Foil Premium with the Zipp wheels and 28 tires. They are great. I was skeptical until I tried them. You'll dig them. If you have Instagram, I have photos on my page: @CoryTexter
Quote Reply