Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Wheelset - Velocity Quill Specifically
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at upgrading the wheel set on my gravel bike. It's an older Trek X01 CX bike so it has rim brakes which limits my options a bit. I live in West Michigan so Velocity is a pretty big deal around here. I was looking at their Quill wheel set as it will accommodate 40mm tires and rim brakes, but there don't seem to be many reviews out there. I get a crazy good deal on those compared to some of the other wheels I've looked at (Hed Belgiums for example), but was curious if anyone had any suggestions? I'm a bigger guy, 200+ pounds and am leaning towards tubeless as I've heard it's more comfortable and I have a lot of gravel centuries on the books for this summer, including a 210 mile ride across the state.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset - Velocity Quill Specifically [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Quill is a very light rim. Wouldn't be ideal for your application.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset - Velocity Quill Specifically [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any experience with the Boyd Altramont? I’m talking to a guy who can lace a set up pretty reasonably. The reviews I’ve found seem to be pretty positive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altamonts would be great for that. HED Belgium+ is basically the standard bearer for what you're looking for, but they're not cheap. With your specs and mandate, those would be the first two I'd look at. The Astral Wanderlust looks like it's got a ton of potential but since we're only building a first test set with them this week I can't yet say anything about them one way or another.

I'd trust either Altamont of Belgium+ to work great and last a long time. Don't forget that the build is the most important part.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset - Velocity Quill Specifically [November Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with the ceramic brake tracks like on the Boyd Altramonts or the A Force AL 33? I really like the look of them, but am worried about the long term durability of the coating while riding gravel. I'm looking at the following rims:

Boyd Altramont
A Force Al 33
Hed Belgium Plus (gold standard for gravel from what my research says)
XR31 (I like the offset rear and they look cool)

I was looking at the CX Ray Spokes and maybe a DT Swiss 350 hub. Pricing on those built up are all pretty similar... does anyone have any recommendations for a heavier rider looking to gravel grind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 225 and run Stans Majors that came on the bike. Been solid so far.

I've used 3 pair of the rims from Light-Bicycle and had great results, 1 mountain, 1 road, and 1 TT setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to get real gravel/touring forward. Build up the Velocity Cliff Hangers and run 650b on your Trek. Maybe run some compass Babyshoe Pass 42's or if there is enough clearance run the Switchback Hill 48's . That would probably require a switch to a v brake that you can slide down to fit the braking surface. But that would make for one smooth ride.
Quote Reply