Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercise training and "the one true way"
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I could read abstracts well, but this one is a bit challenging.

So the take home message is that, if done properly, general whole body resistance training with high loads and general whole body resistance training with lower loads gets similar results ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 4, 18 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training needs to be frequent, sometimes challanging, most of the time fun and maybe following a form of periodization. The last can influence the former statements.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much.

Also note that this was a follow-up study to one that used untrained subjects, this time using experienced lifters (decent samples size per group, too).

"There is no such thing as the perfect training plan." - Angie Vargas, 2001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems as though all these studies throw the principal of specificity on its head. In other words, we could all be doing Zumba classes in the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Provided the low resistance is sufficient to induce volitional failure.

Also, they did see a significantly higher strength improvement for the bench press with low reps.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Training needs to be frequent, sometimes challanging, most of the time fun and maybe following a form of periodization. The last can influence the former statements.

nobody ever listens to the old man!

this was the point of listing your choice of training philosophy last in my list of 8 things that are, actually, to a greater or lesser degree, important to success (if you're at the level of a top age group athlete).

but near the top, #2 on my list, is the training partners with which you surround yourself, or have access to. rendered another way, your "training enclave": a group of folks to make training fun, to encourage and challenge you, to push you when a push is what you need, to remind you what "fast" looks like.

that is loads more important than adhering to one precise training philosophy over other reasonably sound philosophies.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
Seems as though all these studies throw the principal of specificity on its head.

Hardly. There is still a huge difference between doing reps to failure at 50% of 1 RM and endurance exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Provided the low resistance is sufficient to induce volitional failure.

Correct.

gregf83 wrote:
Also, they did see a significantly higher strength improvement for the bench press with low reps.

In a cross-sectional study such as this one, I would tend to write that off as a chance finding, at least in the absence of other evidence.

Speaking of which:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29494294

Alas, this is what tends to happen when you live and die by P<0.05. Personally, I wouldn't (and haven't) published this sort of result without being absolutely confident it was correct first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
gregf83 wrote:

In a cross-sectional study such as this one, I would tend to write that off as a chance finding, at least in the absence of other evidence.
Given that the median levels increased more (but not significantly) in all categories for low reps it's also possible the effect is just small and would need a longer study or more participants to tease out the number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of weightlifters would say 8-12 reps is too many, and that you should be doing more sets in the 3-5 rep range to make serious gains. Shame they didn't include a group on that programme to see if that got the same results.

Interesting abstract though, thank you for posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the one true way is you have to keep doing it till you cannot (will not?) do it anymore?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 4, 18 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mortysct wrote:

nobody ever listens to the old man!

this was the point of listing your choice of training philosophy last in my list of 8 things that are, actually, to a greater or lesser degree, important to success (if you're at the level of a top age group athlete).

but near the top, #2 on my list, is the training partners with which you surround yourself, or have access to. rendered another way, your "training enclave": a group of folks to make training fun, to encourage and challenge you, to push you when a push is what you need, to remind you what "fast" looks like.

that is loads more important than adhering to one precise training philosophy over other reasonably sound philosophies.

I find the training partners and enclave very interesting and important.

And I am even thinking whether all the newish social media actually has some benefits as well. It's funny because I always thought it's kind of a waste of time when I check instagram etc. But when I see posts like from Julien Wanders that he is up running his session at 6 am and is in bed by 8 pm it is one hell of a motivational boost. It makes rising and grinding so much easier. Not like being there yourself, but better than nothing.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello cartsman and All,

Holiday Express Warning ............. my 2 cents ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCTaUFXpP8

For 'older' (over 65 primarily) it should be noted when considering fewer heavy reps vs more lighter reps .... older folks are better suited to lighter weights with more reps.

I use about 20 reps and 4 or 5 sets (about 30 seconds between sets) with last set continue to failure. When failure takes more than 5 reps .... up the weight.

Google ...

"The sooner the correct diagnosis is made, the less likely the result will be lifelong impairment. Although a vast majority of strokes occur in people over age 65 (the risk is 30 to 50 per 1,000 in this age group), 10 percent to 15 percent affect people age 45 and younger (a risk of 1 in 1,000).Sep 3, 2012"

"Blood Pressure During Exercise. ... Blood pressures of 320 mmHg systolic and 250 mmHg diastolic have been reported during heavy lower-body lifts. Higher blood pressures during lifting are seen with very heavy weights for a low number of repetitions versus lifting lighter weights for more repetitions.Sep 11, 2017"

One of my good friends was paralyzed on one side and had significant brain damage due to a stroke caused by a heavy lifting competition with his kids .... he was 70 years of age at the time.

And a good friend of one of our sons was paralyzed after lifting an automobile engine while working on his car .... he was in his 20's at the time, very strong, and in super shape.

http://www.nbc.com/...olympics/n9691?snl=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60pk1dSSAk

Be careful out there .................. get to the start line healthy ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I am even thinking whether all the newish social media actually has some benefits as well. It's funny because I always thought it's kind of a waste of time when I check instagram etc. But when I see posts like from Julien Wanders that he is up running his session at 6 am and is in bed by 8 pm it is one hell of a motivational boost. It makes rising and grinding so much easier. Not like being there yourself, but better than nothing.

bingo. and it can be more direct than that. if you're a regular for a weekly zwift ride or run, you're expected. and you look forward to it. and you push harder than you might, or if appropriate less hard than you might, according to the dictates of the group session. it's really very much like a true group session. going to the pub afterward is about the only thing that's not like a group session (and maybe that actually makes it better for you).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Food for thought:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pubmed/27174923

The study's endpoints are hypertrophy and strength (1RM). Assuming that resistance training helps endurance athletes win races, what studies show that it's hypertrophy and/or increased strength (1RM) that provide the advantage?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This study isn't about endurance training, it's about strength training. AC's rationale for posting isn't that 1RM strength is a crucial component of endurance sport performance, it is more about the fact that in athletic performance and training, there are multiple ways to skin the cat.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise training and "the one true way" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
This study isn't about endurance training, it's about strength training. AC's rationale for posting isn't that 1RM strength is a crucial component of endurance sport performance, it is more about the fact that in athletic performance and training, there are multiple ways to skin the cat.

Well that we've known for quite some time. Who would have thought that a couple of 30 second all-out intervals provide much the same cardiovascular and metabolic benefits as hour(s) of lower intensity aerobic exercise.

The practical question is, who here will begin adding 25 rep back squat sets to their resistance regimen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for explaining. Surprised it was necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

that's what I got out of reading it. There are so many variables to being successful, and with triathlon it becomes more of an "art." I'm convinced that confidence in ones training is actually a huge variable in race day success. Better to really believe (to your core) in a mediocre program, than to doubt your program, even if is perfect in every way (if there is such a thing). An example for me is Slowman's idea and value of a training "enclave." When I was younger, that was ABSOLUTELY vital. But, the days of hammering workout after workout are long gone. And, for me at this point in my life, training alone is the way to go - I'm confident about that!

Enjoy the journey.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply