Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

admission of guilt: i run & chew
Quote | Reply
getting ready to head out this morning for an 8-10 mile run and i discover i have no gum left. bad karma.

i've turned into a fanatic for Trident cinnamon sugarless (not a low calorie food).

even for races now its one of my "must be in the bag" items.

i feel naked running without gum.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read the title of your message I thought you were talking about tobacco!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're talented. I'd be afraid of choking on it.

Have a good run!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey the chewing part is fine.

but if you were to step improperly at just the wrong time and the gum were to go in the wrong intake pipe, i would think that could be very dangerous, especially if you mostly run alone.

on one run, no. but on hundreds upon hundreds of runs, yes. (assuming, of course, that you chew on every run.) do you feel lucky?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like someone who has found their long lost brother! I am a gum chewer as well. It's part of a nervous habit, if I don't have gum or food or drink I will chew my tongue(not horribly, with blood and stuff). I usually have a stick of gum waiting in T1 for me! I have played, lacrosse, run track and cross country, played basketball, tennis, cycling, football, volleyball, hockey, every sport you can imgine while chewing gum! I have never had any issue with swallowing it. My brand Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orbit Bubblemint is my flavor!

I too enjoy a nice wad in the mouth to run with. There is something about being able to spit it out 3/4 into a hard run and feel like you can now get more O2 to finish a hard run strong. I know, I'm a wierdo!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, good. I too thought you were talking about tobacco. yuck.

Can you swim and chew gum at the same time? I tried it at the Kona Keahoua 1/2 a few years ago because I hate salt water. It didn't really work though the gum just got lodged to one side of my mouth and stayed there. My mouth was still burning with salt water.
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am a running gum chewer - for the IM long haul I feel like it helps keep my stomach settled, almost as if it helps with digestion. I also have the wierd "ok only 1/3 of the run left - spit it out and let it all hang" crossroads - all wierd and sadly true!!
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
local gas station saved the day. i had let my stash deplete due to focus on a few other things the past week or so. blustery this morning with wind chill around zero or so.

i don't know that my gum thing is from a nervous habit...its just something i tried and liked.

i rarely chew gum while riding but i feel disjointed without it on a run. i even stash a piece in my bottle belt in case the first one gets "lost".

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to be really impressed if you were running and chewing tobacco. Heck, if gum is all you're doing don't worry about it. gesh
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll fess up to taking gum into the water too, but only a couple times.

didn't work well so i gave it up.

hard to stay smooth with your jaws flappin'.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [neilchanter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I too am a running gum chewer - for the IM long haul I feel like it helps keep my stomach settled, almost as if it helps with digestion. "

Funny you say that. I just read an article in USA Today two days ago that implied this. (I just checked and they don't have it online or I would post the link) Basically it said that chewing gum had been shown to help patients recovering from some forms of surgery on the colon. They speculate that it is because it stimulates the nerves and hormones involved in digestion.

You gum chewers might be onto something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a thread that will likely be written up in somebody's blog.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
say anything you want to about me.

just say something about me.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Re: admission of guilt: i run & chew [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Chewing gum fools your body into thinking a piece of food is about to go into your digestive system. Once you start producing saliva, your body's DS willingly activates itself.

How many pieces of gum do you chew at a time? Ive been tempted to pack a couple of pieces of QUENCH on my long workouts. Im thinkin 2-3 pieces just to lessen the chances of bitting myself.

What about at aid stations? Do you hold your gum and drink or let the gum harden.

My speed and strength coach in High School would have us chew gum when we did agility drills. Says it keeps your body relaxed and your receptors should fire off faster (better reaction time).

Ill give it a shot...thanks for reminding me, Keau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the first Christmas I spent with my then girlfriend, now wife, I get a box of my brand from Sam's. Lasts me almost six months!

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply