Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have TrainerRoad I created a 'team' so that friends can do some of the workouts I've created, and they use these types of warmups: https://www.trainerroad.com/...niel-clarke-workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, thanks. I don't have TR, I use other software.
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. It's:

4:00 @50
4:00 @60
2:00 @65
2:00 @70
2:00 @75
2:00 @80
2:00 @85
2:00 @60
1:00 @100
Then 30% for a couple of minutes before the work begins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere (not sure were) that an apple can help wake you up. I started eating an apple before my morning workouts and it has been working well for me. I don't necessarily need the fuel, but a nice cold honey crisp seems to liven me up. This could be 100% placebo for me but it is working so why stop!

I use trainer road so the workout is a set time from once I hit play to the end. I work my schedule backwards from the time I need to be finishing the workout. If I need to be done by 6:30, I will make sure I am hitting play at 5:30 but do my best to get on the bike sooner to have some extra z1 pedaling time. It is hard to get right out of bed and start a workout so I have made a compromise with myself that I will get on the bike as soon as possible but don't need to actually start the workout till 5:30. I found the easy, pressure free pedaling helps me ease into it. During this easy pedaling prior to the workout I am drinking coffee and that seems to help for me. I can be on the bike within 15 min from waking up, but sometimes it takes all 30.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have decided that there is no bigger hiccup in my morning routine than realizing I need to poop AFTER I have put on chamois cream.
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very good, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you use for a pre-workout? something like C4 or PreRace?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 28, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too get up early to do the workout. While my body does better after having been up a while, I have about 5-10 minutes between getting up and getting on the bike (or dreadmill). The HIT days really are tough -- but I am getting through them at prescribed levels. I tell myself this is good as I can go harder when I race.

Just learn to embrace the suck factor and get it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with the coffee/caffeine and then make sure you warm up for a good 10-15 minutes before any hard training.

I usually like to do 40% for 1 minutes, 50% for 2 minutes, 60% for 3 minutes, and 70% for 4 minutes. By the time you get to 70% the caffeine should start waking you up.

And, these workouts are easier to do when in ERG mode. The muscles seem to respond at that time of the day, but the brain can be a little foggy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot shower directed on to your legs to help bring muscles up to a reasonable operating temp?
Passive warming has been shown to be highly effective.
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just slap my legs like a sprinter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of it could be dehydration. I often do a cup of coffee, but what seems to help me the most is about 15-20min ez warmup, followed by 5x(30s build to max +30s ez), when that got added to my morning bike workout it helped significantly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried lots of things for early am sessions. Biggest improvement for me was doing body weight squats on a balance board. I do single leg squats, about 10 on each leg. A few stretches, then into the session (only takes about 2 minutes).

How did I figure this out? Well I was struggling hitting tough sessions in Trainerroad on some days, but good on other days. I surmised that it was due to lack of activation of certain muscles e.g. VMO and glutes. Balance board seems to wake up all the legs muscles and get the nerves firing.

Like everybody else says you need to be organized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am doing some body weight exercises like @roadguy, consists of 50 squats, 25 pushups, 45 sec hollow hold (thought this is work in progress) 45 sec superman, then some hip strengthening/activation with band. This gets the blood pumping and body moving.

Some days are a grind to start but once done I am glad I pushed through......

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
what do you use for a pre-workout? something like C4 or PreRace?

check out the legion brand of supplements. they have some EXCELLENT marketing, but their stuff seems to be a good more natural approach to supplementation versus the super-bro-get-you-jacked-hardcore garbage on the market. i use their pre and post workout, their whey protein when i need it in my diet, their joint lubrication (ingredients are for inflammation) and multivitamin.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 300 - 500mg of caffeine in the am - 4:30 or so. Works awesome. Its a lot, but it works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Very early morning bike trainer High Intensity workouts - Tips to activate/wakeup the body [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
I do 300 - 500mg of caffeine in the am - 4:30 or so. Works awesome. Its a lot, but it works.

^^this. Nearly every single pre workout is just rubbish, save your money and just buy some caffeine tablets.
Quote Reply

Prev Next