Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Meanwhile, Down At My Local Walmart... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why should I be subjected to the same weight restrictions at the airport?

The mere mention of that and you will be viciously attacked, by well, just about everyone, because so many people are overweight/obese and you know, they have rights!

So there we are at the airport, our bikes in bags, one small carry on, checking and it's US who has to pay $150/bike, while the couple ahead, clearly overweight, and checking in monster bags, and golf clubs pays - maybe $25 bag!

When gas prices were really high a few years ago, the airlines kept going on and on about the expense and that weight had a BIG thing to do with fuel costs. OK, so then make it REALLY about weight - total weight per passenger and all of their luggage! Good luck making that happen! :-(

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 24, 18 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, Down At My Local Walmart... [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calories in vs calories out is correct. Twinkees vs kale, not quite; nor is calories burned unaffected by diet (set aside all intentional changes like stairs instead of elevators, taking up running, etc.).

Agreed. That's my view as well. But that never sounds good coming from me - the lean(skinny) life-long endurance sports athlete. It is somewhat of an over-simplification, but not really that far off. Less calories in and more calories out (physical activity) would be significantly beneficial to millions of people! YES, there is individual variation and some people are genetically or hormonally predisposed to putting on weight more easily - but that's probably well less than 10% of the population!!

Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, Down At My Local Walmart... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

The mere mention of that and you will be viciously attacked, by well, just about everyone, because so many people are overweight/obese and you know, they have rights!

So there we are at the airport, our bikes in bags, one small carry on, checking and it's US who has to pay $150/bike, while the couple ahead, clearly overweight, and checking in monster bags, and golf clubs pays - maybe $25 bag!

When gas prices were really high a few years ago, the airlines kept going on and on about the expense and that weight had a BIG thing to do with fuel costs. OK, so then make it REALLY about weight - total weight per passenger and all of their luggage! Good luck making that happen! :-(

I had a guy try to charge me for the jogging stroller once. He went on about weight and fuel prices. I told him I would pay the delta between the jogging stroller and regular stroller based on weight as soon as he refunded me the difference between my 1 yo with full fare ticket and the average traveler based on weight since his argument seemed legit to me. Somehow the stroller went free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Agreed. That's my view as well. But that never sounds good coming from me - the lean(skinny) life-long endurance sports athlete. It is somewhat of an over-simplification, but not really that far off. Less calories in and more calories out (physical activity) would be significantly beneficial to millions of people! YES, there is individual variation and some people are genetically or hormonally predisposed to putting on weight more easily - but that's probably well less than 10% of the population!!
I think it's generally agreed there are genetic variations that make it harder for some than others. But it seems nearly universal that a calorie deficit for more than a few days is interpreted by the parasympathetic nervous system as an emergency situation, to which it responds by lowering metabolism where it can and increasing the output of hormones that trigger appetite. You may not notice the metabolism change, but it can make you more likely to sit more, walk less, let non-core temperature drop a bit, etc.; such that your base calorie requirements are reduced. And you're hungrier. Effective at delaying starvation, but the reverse doesn't seem to be true, that the body interprets weight gain as an equally undesirable event that would trigger adjustments in the opposite direction in metabolism and appetite.

What's interesting to me is when I read about the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system it always mentioned that exercise, or I assume any elevated level of physical activity, shifts much more control to the sympathetic nervous system to deal with the immediate needs as well as the period of recovery. So it seems that is quite an important part of the program, and that is for sure my experience.

el cabrero
Pure American Naturals
http://www.pureamericannaturals.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PureAmericanNaturals/
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, Down At My Local Walmart... [cabrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's generally agreed there are genetic variations that make it harder for some than others.

Yes - but this is a small percentage of the population. That was the 1 - 2 what would really be considered overweight or fat kids in my public school of about 500 kids, years ago. I would assume they had some type of medical condition that was leading to them to be that way.

What's interesting to me is when I read about the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system it always mentioned that exercise, or I assume any elevated level of physical activity, shifts much more control to the sympathetic nervous system to deal with the immediate needs as well as the period of recovery. So it seems that is quite an important part of the program, and that is for sure my experience.

Points out the point that food-in/calorie reduction works best in concert with significantly increased physical activity. It's why "dieting" with certain "diets" is next to useless. Our bodies are meant to move, a decent amount EVERYDAY. The average North American, now has almost zero physical activity and movement in a typical day!

Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, Down At My Local Walmart... [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Fleck wrote:
That guy is in his early 20s?!?! How has he had enough time to even get that big?

The really sad thing to see is to go to a school yard and look at the kinds 10 years and younger ( careful not to be picked out as some sort of stalker/predator). Anyway, go back 20+ years, and all these kids would be skinny stick figure little kids they way they all were back then. Now, half of these kids are overweight and obese.

So to answer your question - How do they get that way when they are in their 20's - they are already that way or heading in it strongly when they are 10!

There is a SERIOUS problem in North America with a lack of physical activity and it starts young! It just get's worse from there.

What is sad is seeing a dude in his mid thirties with the physique of Jack Black and in tow he has a kid who looks to be six of seven built the same way. It is no longer a situation where kids start out thin and gain weight into middle age. They are never thin. It's poor diet and no exercise from day one. It makes you wonder what they will be like when they hit their forties.

Or teenage girls, the most body conscious people of all, wearing midriffs with a roll of fat muffin-topping over their jeans. That is when you realize there is no shame to being fat anymore. Everyone considers it normal.

Judging by twenty somethings with man-boobs, there might be serious money to be made selling manziers. Body spray for dudes caught on; we can probably overcome the hang-ups over wearing underwear traditionally worn by women.

I beg to differ, but I believe they should be called “bros” instead of manziers ...

Sincerely, Cosmo Kramer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yes I know. ‘Skinny’ people (or people being built the way nature intended) have no rights because we have it so easy. It’s about time they invoked an equitable, user pays system.

Which do you think is more likely to occur, the above, or the other no chance in Hell scenario being a gun crackdown lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next